Bad News for Those Going North this Fall!!!

Posted by: cobble cruiser

Bad News for Those Going North this Fall!!! - 07/16/14 12:45 PM

http://m.theglobeandmail.com/news/britis...?service=mobile

NOT GOOD!!!
Posted by: Todd

Re: Bad News for Those Going North this Fall!!! - 07/16/14 02:48 PM

Shooting themselves in the foot right there...we spend many thousands of dollars with them every year to catch and release some fish for a few days.

Looks like I picked a good year to take a year off wink

Fish on...

Todd

P.S. I don't see them actually keeping fishermen off the river this fall.
Posted by: cohoangler

Re: Bad News for Those Going North this Fall!!! - 07/16/14 03:17 PM

The article missed the biggest point. The Tribe is tossing Canadian National Railway and the logging companies off those lands too. Recreational anglers are small fish compared to these other two.

If the Tribes wanted to make their point about land ownership, they can't ignore the small fish. To do otherwise undercuts their legal argument against the big fish. So, in that sense, I don't blame them for the actions they're taking against recreational anglers. We're getting caught in the cross-fire in a much bigger fight.
Posted by: larryb

Re: Bad News for Those Going North this Fall!!! - 07/16/14 03:39 PM

I wonder how the oil pipe line plays into this.
Posted by: FleaFlickr02

Re: Bad News for Those Going North this Fall!!! - 07/16/14 03:43 PM

I agree that this most likely will not prevent people from sportfishing in the area, but it might prevent them from doing so (legally) without a First Nations endorsement or some such. My guess is that the Tribe decided they ought to get a piece of the pie when whitey profits off of their territory, and now they have a legal precedent to support their cause.

In the end, I bet this all shakes out in the form of tourists, railroad customers, and lumber buyers paying more for those businesses' use of the land. In other words, this is probably only bad news for your wallet if you plan to fish the Skeena this fall. I know it's a narrow-minded view, but lately, if I see something happening that seems outrageous, I assume it's for the sake of someone getting paid.
Posted by: thefishnfool

Re: Bad News for Those Going North this Fall!!! - 07/16/14 04:42 PM

So how can they do this if they don't own the land? I can see them closing off their land but everything else too? Man I hope this gets resolved quick I'm supposed to leave 9/7!!!
Posted by: Larry B

Re: Bad News for Those Going North this Fall!!! - 07/16/14 09:23 PM

Not sure if the Court decision gave them title or simply "rights" over activities on that land.

If the latter, our situation here may not be too far removed.

For example: Currently two tribes have objected to the issuance of a Corps of Engineers permit for ramp work at WDFW's Point No Point property apparently alleging (1) potential damage to several beach related resources (smelt, etc.) and (2) that having that access will put (more) boaters/fishers (meaning non-tribal members) in that U&A area thereby adversely impacting their treaty rights.

So the tail is wagging the dog here, too.
Posted by: Driftfishnw

Re: Bad News for Those Going North this Fall!!! - 07/16/14 11:26 PM

I wonder what the price tag is going to be for getting their " permission"? ... Hmmmm $100.00 a day maybe?
Posted by: The Catcherman

Re: Bad News for Those Going North this Fall!!! - 07/19/14 02:52 PM

It will be interesting to see how this plays out. I planned on going up again this year. I understand it is their country and we are guests there so I'm willing to kowtow to some extent...but only so much for so long.
Posted by: Clackacraft

Re: Bad News for Those Going North this Fall!!! - 07/21/14 06:20 PM

I'd be really surprised if they actually stop us from fishing, it might just become more expensive. We'll have to see what happens.

JD
Posted by: OneMoreCast

Re: Bad News for Those Going North this Fall!!! - 07/25/14 04:37 AM

http://youtu.be/aRBAZbmuqvU