Best bets October river fishing

Posted by: One Way

Best bets October river fishing - 07/28/14 03:55 PM

Two of my friends come up every year for a fishing trip in October. We have almost exclusively fished the Grays harbor area. Most trips we end up with blown rivers. Any ideas?
Posted by: Sky-Guy

Re: Best bets October river fishing - 07/28/14 04:15 PM

If you end up in the Forks area, treat yourself with a stay at one of Julie's properties:
http://www.acozyriverhouse.com/

Tell her Ryley sent ya
Posted by: Mergantroider

Re: Best bets October river fishing - 07/28/14 04:27 PM

PM me. i have a buddy visiting from Hawaii who comes every year in october. we usually put a few hundred pounds of meat to the boat/shore every year.

Re: Best bets October river fishing - 07/28/14 04:32 PM

Posted by: Salmo g.

Re: Best bets October river fishing - 07/28/14 04:44 PM

If the coastal rivers are blown, the Cowlitz will probably still be in fishable shape. Large coho run predicted for this fall too.
Posted by: DrifterWA

Re: Best bets October river fishing - 07/28/14 05:29 PM

Do they bank fish???? or have access to a DB or J Sled ?????

Sorry they hit the GH area after big rains......happens!!!!!
Posted by: STRIKE ZONE

Re: Best bets October river fishing - 07/28/14 06:33 PM

Timing is everything. Good luck,

SZ

PS, If the rivers blow they blow.....look @ the weather forecast and make a last minute call if ya got too.

Re: Best bets October river fishing - 07/28/14 06:34 PM

Thanks KK, I will find Richard one way or another. Are you going to be on the island for some silver fishing between 8/21-9/12?

Re: Best bets October river fishing - 07/28/14 06:43 PM

We do bank fish, We have always gotten a guide, We have used different ones every year. There is a kid named Casey who was really good. I think Rico is the ticket maybe one of the days and a guide the other two. We have been to forks several times I think that may be the ticket. Your Washington weather befuddles me.
Posted by: Dogfish

Re: Best bets October river fishing - 07/28/14 07:59 PM

Originally Posted By: One Way
Your Washington weather befuddles me.
It is called fall, as in one of the four seasons. wink
Posted by: Brewer

Re: Best bets October river fishing - 07/28/14 08:25 PM

Just about every river in oct. will be holding some late kings, silvers or early chums. oct can be a total game on month!
Posted by: Todd

Re: Best bets October river fishing - 07/28/14 08:31 PM

I hope to see you this year, too, Howard...missed you last summer.

Fish on...

Todd
Posted by: Direct-Drive

Re: Best bets October river fishing - 07/28/14 09:25 PM

If you wanna go a little to the south...(Deschutes, Lower 24)
October is an awesome month for these...

Look down and see the 1946 survey markers.
Then look around and see what it looked like in 1946.
Posted by: RognSue

Re: Best bets October river fishing - 07/28/14 10:11 PM

We put 58 coho in the drifter in 12 days on the Snoho October of last year...never fishing more than 2 rods and never more than 4 hrs...mid oct...

Re: Best bets October river fishing - 07/28/14 10:20 PM

Hopefully we can time it right this year, The island is not that far away , and the fish should be on the way. I cant wait to try that spot around the corner from my house again.I will let you know when I get there and give you some reports.
Posted by: Blu13

Re: Best bets October river fishing - 07/28/14 10:32 PM

I'm afraid of the opposite happening. We are due for a dry fall. It's been a while and if El Nino is here, it may happen.

Also as far as the Quileute/Sol Duc. The Coho forecast is down again. Both Native & Hatchery. The last 2 years have been weak returns of Hatchery Coho. Nothing like it was 3+ years ago.
Posted by: eswan

Re: Best bets October river fishing - 07/29/14 12:06 AM

Originally Posted By: Blu13
I'm afraid of the opposite happening. We are due for a dry fall. It's been a while and if El Nino is here, it may happen.

Also as far as the Quileute/Sol Duc. The Coho forecast is down again. Both Native & Hatchery. The last 2 years have been weak returns of Hatchery Coho. Nothing like it was 3+ years ago.

Why be scared? Last year was fabulous coho fishing up to January. I'm looking forward to another low water year where the fish are stacked in tidal areas.
Posted by: Blu13

Re: Best bets October river fishing - 07/29/14 12:47 AM

eswan

Depends on when & where you're fishing. He was talking about October. People were talking about Forks area rivers. In the past they have been closed in Oct because of low water. I can think of at least 2 years that happened.

Also, if their is no rain it pushes people into the lower rivers and you have a snag fest. I watched it 2 yrs ago one Saturday. Fish coming in by the tail. Guys lined up shoulder to shoulder. It was sad seeing it over there.

Re: Best bets October river fishing - 07/29/14 04:18 AM

Offer rescinded. Take your "options" if you've lurked that long you either know or you dont. I don't have time for "option" diggers. People line up to catch 2,000 pounds of coho in two months. Hahha. I'm sure you'll catch fish. Plenty of guys can catch fish and will take you and your friend. Take advantage of their free services. I take serious people only.

You....are not serious

Re: Best bets October river fishing - 07/29/14 08:17 AM

Thanks Merg, I don't spend all that much time here posting. Although I do a fair amount of reading. I have been hanging around for probably a decade and maybe sent out a half dozen PMs during that time. No offense just pondering options.
Posted by: Jerry Garcia

Re: Best bets October river fishing - 07/29/14 08:20 AM

Hopefully we can time it right this year, The island is not that far away , and the fish should be on the way. I cant wait to try that spot around the corner from my house again.I will let you know when I get there and give you some reports.

I would be more than happy to help prospect that spot with you.

Re: Best bets October river fishing - 07/30/14 03:36 AM

Originally Posted By: RognSue
We put 58 coho in the drifter in 12 days on the Snoho October of last year...never fishing more than 2 rods and never more than 4 hrs...mid oct...

Jesus 12 days? Come on up bro. That's a weekend fishing two rods. 58 ÷12=4.8 a day.......5 fish a day? That's the first hole within sight of the boat launch

Re: Best bets October river fishing - 07/30/14 03:43 AM

In oct in average 20 a day. We had two days go over 35. 5 fish only happened in December when it was 14 degrees. Slowest day in 4 months. Went 8 for 10
Posted by: On The Swing

Re: Best bets October river fishing - 07/30/14 03:58 AM

Merg..go to bed buddy, your drunk...or at least your fingers are
Posted by: willametteriveroutlaw

Re: Best bets October river fishing - 07/30/14 11:09 AM

I'd get a hold of Lund or Amerman and come to oregon for a king rodeo...

Re: Best bets October river fishing - 07/30/14 04:57 PM

Hey Jerry, I will send you a note when I am up. I offered to trasnsport a costco bottle of Patron up. I may do it this trip if you wish, let me know. As far as the fishing goes perhaps I can take you for a boat ride with Rico and go find the goods.

Re: Best bets October river fishing - 07/30/14 05:02 PM

Merg,whew, I am relieved. Let me resume lurking. One thing you are mistaken on,is I am serious. Just not about going fishing with you. Thanks
Posted by: Paul Smenis

Re: Best bets October river fishing - 07/30/14 05:12 PM

LOL!
Posted by: Swifty27

Re: Best bets October river fishing - 07/30/14 05:17 PM

Merg pulled out?
Posted by: On The Swing

Re: Best bets October river fishing - 07/30/14 10:00 PM

Nice burn there Oneway..and with that being said don't lurk, you'll fit in around here nicely.

Just use some common sense and keep making those sound business decisions rofl

Oneway...pm.sent
Posted by: Jerry Garcia

Re: Best bets October river fishing - 07/30/14 10:09 PM

Hey Jerry, I will send you a note when I am up. I offered to trasnsport a costco bottle of Patron up. I may do it this trip if you wish, let me know. As far as the fishing goes perhaps I can take you for a boat ride with Rico and go find the goods.

haven't been drinking much the last year or so, thanks for the Patron offer, it would probably evaporate before I could get it properly disposed. Let me know when you are up, I will be fishing the beach from mid August on.