Labor Day holiday in Kona

Posted by: Mingo

Labor Day holiday in Kona - 09/15/14 01:57 PM

Here’s a few shots from recent fishing action in Kona. My girl subdued and released her first blue marlin to add to her list of billfish species. The catch came at the end of a great day spent wrestling some nice cute little pan-sized yellowfin tuna. I also “caught” a float from Japan, the first one for me. Flyfishing was good, I actually caught a mythical unicorn on a seaweed fly (okay, it was an orangebanded unicornfish, a very rare flyrod catch) and helped a local family catch some reef fish for their BBQ. They had not seen anyone flyfish a reef before. Good times.
Posted by: Sky-Guy

Re: Labor Day holiday in Kona - 09/15/14 02:00 PM

Way to Go Mrs. Mingo! Nice clicks as per usual Mr. Mingo!
Posted by: Anonymous

Re: Labor Day holiday in Kona - 09/15/14 02:10 PM

Awesome! Reef pics if ya got em please!

Re: Labor Day holiday in Kona - 09/15/14 02:10 PM

Part 2 - pan size yellowfin - Get your muscles worked Stam, yer next buddy! smile I got two and my girl got one in the early morning bite.

Here's the float we saw bobbing in the water...and the mythical unicornfish. Algae grazers can be caught if you are good at sight fishing and can deliver a seaweed fly to them in a natural manner. Imitating a hunk of salad isn't easy...it never swims so a dead drift is a must smile

Re: Labor Day holiday in Kona - 09/15/14 02:20 PM

This poor guy got zero action. My new Allen Kraken XLA in mahimahi color scheme and a 14 wt stick. I tried...Lord I tried...but we found nothing close enough to cast to. I tried bucktailing too...zip. No big deal; plenty of other action was had.

I had a great time helping a large local clan add some reef fish to their BBQ menu for the Labor Day family gathering. They kept checking out my 5 weight flyrod. Fly fishing is a tiny piece of the sportfishing pie over there but I'm doing my part! I added hawkfish, damselfish and a couple wrasse of various types. Fun stuff. Those fish put up a great scrap on light tackle.

And finally.....a shot of my buddy and his son diving with a TIGER SHARK and touching it's fin. Yep. Thrill seekers to the core.

Aloha.
Posted by: Anonymous

Re: Labor Day holiday in Kona - 09/15/14 02:38 PM

epic as usual!!

good stuff Mingo beer
Posted by: Jerry Garcia

Re: Labor Day holiday in Kona - 09/15/14 03:06 PM

Pan sized?
Posted by: NOFISH

Re: Labor Day holiday in Kona - 09/15/14 03:25 PM

Big dang pans in Hawaii!!! Nice work Mingo's thumbs
Posted by: stonefish

Re: Labor Day holiday in Kona - 09/15/14 03:37 PM

Mingo,
I always enjoy the pics of your warmwater forays.
Thanks for sharing.
SF
Posted by: STRIKE ZONE

Re: Labor Day holiday in Kona - 09/15/14 05:01 PM

Awesome pics....thanks for sharing.Good luck,

SZ
Posted by: Steelheadman

Re: Labor Day holiday in Kona - 09/15/14 08:41 PM

Nice Mingo!

Got tuna on my bucket list. Caught a striped marlin earlier this year in Cabo San Lucas and my wife caught a couple of Mahi Mahi. CSL was just hit by a hurricane.

I'm heading to Kona in 2 months. Never been to Hawaii got screwed out of a business trip early in my career. Going to bring some fishing gear to fish off the beach and cnr some exotic fish. Staying with our old neighbors and my friend has done it before. Looking into a charter. May slow down for blue marlin and tuna but it looks like there should be Mahi Mahi. My wife is checking into it. Says you only have to go out a couple of miles to hit some deep water.
Posted by: NickD90

Re: Labor Day holiday in Kona - 09/16/14 12:38 AM

Nice report per usual. Boobs and Tuna. I hate you.
Posted by: Bucket/Good Sport

Re: Labor Day holiday in Kona - 09/16/14 01:53 PM

Mingy--you two done well!!

Re: Labor Day holiday in Kona - 09/18/14 06:56 PM

Originally Posted By: Bucket/Good Sport
Mingy--you two done well!!

Thanks Bucket...there will be a mint on the pillow when you and Mrs. Bucket come to visit smile

I was always the kid in every class who had aquariums at home full of oscars, jack dempseys, plecostomus, red devils etc who'd fish for his captives with tiny barbless hooks and small worms in the winter when there was snow on the ground. I probably get as big a charge out of catching a freaky tropical fish as I do a billfish now. It's all fun times to me.

Thanks for the nice words fellas. You make me all warm inside.
Posted by: fishenfool

Re: Labor Day holiday in Kona - 09/20/14 12:48 PM

Wife and I are spending 2 weeks in kona during Xmas, would like to find a reliable charter their. Who do you recommend?
Posted by: Todd

Re: Labor Day holiday in Kona - 09/20/14 01:40 PM

Awesome stuff as always.

Fish on...

Todd
Posted by: Driftin'

Re: Labor Day holiday in Kona - 09/20/14 09:02 PM

Sweet!

Re: Labor Day holiday in Kona - 09/22/14 05:00 PM

Originally Posted By: fishenfool
Wife and I are spending 2 weeks in kona during Xmas, would like to find a reliable charter their. Who do you recommend?

I've fished with several guides and my favorite is Russ Nitta on the Lepika. Lots of amazing captains in Kona, but Russ doesn't charge a grand and he works hard to get you into fish.

http://www.lepikasportfishing.com/
Posted by: Dan S.

Re: Labor Day holiday in Kona - 09/22/14 09:23 PM

I love the Mingo reports. Mrs. Mingo was the star in this round - awesome fish, and awesome photos!

Thanks for taking the time to put that post/report together. Always appreciated!
Posted by: eyeFISH

Re: Labor Day holiday in Kona - 09/23/14 02:01 AM

Mingo strikes again!

BRAVO!
Posted by: fish4brains

Re: Labor Day holiday in Kona - 09/23/14 09:19 AM

Radioactive!