Curado advice

Posted by: No More Ice Fishin

Curado advice - 10/26/14 08:28 PM

My newer Curado feels like its been gumming up a little lately...a little grind and/or squeak to it.

Just need a little oil? Feels like something's off.
Posted by: Direct-Drive

Re: Curado advice - 10/26/14 08:34 PM

Is it making noise on the cast or while reeling in ?
Posted by: supcoop

Re: Curado advice - 10/26/14 09:13 PM

How new?

When was the last time you oiled it? What kind of oil?

Re: Curado advice - 10/26/14 10:22 PM

Not sure. Probably used the little tube Shimano provides. What would you recommend?
Posted by: Anonymous

Re: Curado advice - 10/26/14 10:48 PM

Google it. Alan tani has a tutorial on those reels. Pretty easy to clean and lube.

Re: Curado advice - 10/26/14 11:27 PM

Also, the noise/grind is when reeling in...and thanks.

Re: Curado advice - 10/27/14 12:33 AM

+1 for Alan Tani.

I've been happy with quantum hot sauce for the bearings. I tore down my curados last year and upgraded the bearings and drag washers. Had some other internal components that had gone bad (clutch pawl). Good cleaning during the process and they both came out buttery smooth.

Re: Curado advice - 10/27/14 12:34 AM

Sounds like you probably have some grit in there that you will have to open it up to get it out.
Posted by: Direct-Drive

Re: Curado advice - 10/27/14 08:50 AM

Originally Posted By: supcoop
Sounds like you probably have some grit in there that you will have to open it up to get it out.

This ^^^

Use a low viscosity (light) oil (Hot Sauce is good) on the bearings and grease on the slides/gears....small amounts.

In other words...
High speed component - oil
Low speed component - grease
Posted by: Rivrguy

Re: Curado advice - 10/27/14 09:45 AM

Had the same issue with noise and had it cleaned and serviced ( it had little use prior ) and it was zero lubrication on moving internal parts. It just came that way from the box as it had little use and was never submerged or left out in the weather. Serviced good to go but it does make one wonder.
Posted by: Todd

Re: Curado advice - 10/27/14 12:20 PM

No matter what brand of baitcaster we are talking about, I use Ardent reel maintenance kits on them, break them down completely each season...and I love the Hot Sauce, as well, for routine lubing.

Fish on...

Todd
Posted by: Rag N Steel

Re: Curado advice - 10/27/14 04:18 PM

Crack it open and clean. Use qtips with soap water to scrub everything and buy some compressed computer keyboard spray and blast away then oil and grease. Should be smooth. Good luck.
Posted by: chrome/22

Re: Curado advice - 10/27/14 09:31 PM

Originally Posted By: Rag N Steel
Crack it open and clean. Use q-tips with soap water to scrub everything and buy some compressed computer keyboard spray and blast away then oil and grease. Should be smooth

^^^^
That.

I like a can of brake clean, over soap & water. If you dropped it you probably got some fine river silt inside, that stuff will make em grind. I use a Daiwa reel lube pen w/ fine needle to relube my bearings & Shimano white grease or the red Hot sauce grease on the slower moving parts (gears & drag washers).

Do watch it when disassembling, the small parts & springs like to jump around as stated above. A small set of quality drivers is really nice to have.

c/22
Posted by: DrifterWA

Re: Curado advice - 10/27/14 11:46 PM

I'm a long time Curado user.....do all my own work on all my reels....all the above, good advice....only thing I'd like to add...DON'T OVER OIL.....nothing worse than to get to the river......cast, lure goes only a few feet'.... I have been there.... only thing you can do........clean the spool bearing riders off.

Good luck......