Great Slave Lake Photos

Posted by: Dave Vedder

Great Slave Lake Photos - 07/04/15 09:02 PM

I just got in from Great Slave Lake. Here are a few photos

It’s a tough life down there. This good sized laker was gnawed on by a bigger one.

A short walk from the lodge is world class grayling fishing.

Of course lake trout and pike was what we came for. We didn’t get Walter, but got some decent sized fish.

There was a lot of variability in coloration. I really liked these orange finned ones.

And there were some fine pike

And there was the wildlife

Posted by: Todd

Re: Great Slave Lake Photos - 07/05/15 12:28 AM

Great pics, buddy! What an awesome trip, you'll have to get back up there to get that giant laker ;-)

Fish on...

Todd
Posted by: Jerry Garcia

Re: Great Slave Lake Photos - 07/05/15 08:17 AM

That Polar bear is looking at you like "that is going to be one tough bite". You'll have to get a new pencil to continue checking things off the bucket list.
Posted by: ClearCreek

Re: Great Slave Lake Photos - 07/05/15 06:37 PM

Great photos!

I am trying to figure out how you man both those rods at one time!!!

Looks like the snap on the pike photo is not totally closed.

ClearCreek
Posted by: AP a.k.a. Kaiser D

Re: Great Slave Lake Photos - 07/05/15 11:14 PM

That shot of you sitting in the boat on that mirror-like water while holding that big lake trout is spectacular.

What is the standard way of catching those big lake trout? Trolling deep with big spoons?

Re: Great Slave Lake Photos - 07/06/15 06:45 AM

A.P.

These fish are shallow. Caught several on flies less than a foot deep. Most on spoons with no weight and some jigged in"deep" water - about 50-100 feet.

The guides fun fish in the evening with flies in the local river. Saw photos of river caught lakers up to 30 pounds.

Re: Great Slave Lake Photos - 07/06/15 06:46 AM

A.P.

These fish are shallow. Caught several on flies less than a foot deep. Most on spoons with no weight and some jigged in"deep" water - about 50-100 feet.

The guides fun fish in the evening with flies in the local river. Saw photos of river caught lakers up to 30 pounds.
Posted by: Excitable Bob

Re: Great Slave Lake Photos - 07/06/15 08:55 AM

Awesome trip, awesome report, awesome pics. Wow!
Posted by: Direct-Drive

Re: Great Slave Lake Photos - 07/06/15 10:09 PM

Originally Posted By: AP a.k.a. Kaiser D
That shot of you sitting in the boat on that mirror-like water while holding that big lake trout is spectacular.

Yep, that's a wall-hanger.

Great pics...looks like good, clean fun !
Posted by: eugene1

Re: Great Slave Lake Photos - 07/06/15 10:48 PM

Very nice!

There are two ecotypes of lake trout in some of their range. One has a ton of fat (maybe like springer nooks?) the other is considerably less fatty (maybe like fall-run fish). Not sure the basis is understood as of yet from what I understand, but an active area of investigation.

These different fish are both present in the great lakes, not sure about Great slave but the different coloration is really cool whether related or not. So much to study and so little time! Next time get some fin clip samples...

Thanks for the pics!
Posted by: blackmouth

Re: Great Slave Lake Photos - 07/07/15 09:25 AM

Nice pictures, the clarity is so good I can see the open duolock still holding, on the red and white spoon in the next to the bottom image.
Posted by: STRIKE ZONE

Re: Great Slave Lake Photos - 07/07/15 01:09 PM

Looks like fun.Good luck,

SZ
Posted by: Driftin'

Re: Great Slave Lake Photos - 07/07/15 01:53 PM

Yet another reason why I love Dave's posts! Looking forward to the next excellent adventure....
Posted by: OLD FB

Re: Great Slave Lake Photos - 07/07/15 08:20 PM

Dave Vedder I love all you post as I feel like I'm there enjoying your adventures!

Question: The clarity on your photos is amazing! Type of camera you are using if you might share? The results are absolutely stunning!!!!!

Thanks in advance!

Re: Great Slave Lake Photos - 07/08/15 07:10 AM

Camera is Nikon 7100. New to me, but so far I do like it. Still learning its many features.
Posted by: OLD FB

Re: Great Slave Lake Photos - 07/08/15 12:17 PM

Thanks Mr Vedder! I'm looking for a new camera and to say I'm impressed with those images would be an understatement!