Rainshadow?

Posted by: Denham

Rainshadow? - 07/21/15 10:01 AM

I'm looking to have a custom float rod built and have heard a lot about how good these blanks are for the money. I know there are lots of guys here who use these so I figured it was the best place to ask. I'm deciding between the XST 1263 and 1264 in a casting outfit and hoping someone had any input between these two blanks. I'd really appreciate some help!
Posted by: DrifterWA

Re: Rainshadow? - 07/21/15 10:38 AM

Just call RainShadow.....talk to the "head of the Horse".....

Phone number 1-877-875-2381

What the heck, buy both have backup....
Posted by: supcoop

Re: Rainshadow? - 07/21/15 10:56 AM

It really is going to come down to what you want to do with it. If you are going to be chasing hatchery steelhead or the like more often than not, I would go with the 1263. That rod should be able to handle larger fish as well but if you are going to be targeting kings, I'd go with the 1264. I wrapped up a 1362 a few years back and it is exactly what I was after for brats. Anything pushing the 20 pound mark gets interesting.
Posted by: STRIKE ZONE

Re: Rainshadow? - 07/21/15 11:07 AM

Good choice on the Rainshadow blank. Good luck,

SZ
Posted by: NOFISH

Re: Rainshadow? - 07/21/15 12:30 PM

Rainshadow rods are a no brainer thumbs
Posted by: The Moderator

Re: Rainshadow? - 07/21/15 12:40 PM

Originally Posted By: supcoop
It really is going to come down to what you want to do with it. If you are going to be chasing hatchery steelhead or the like more often than not, I would go with the 1263. That rod should be able to handle larger fish as well but if you are going to be targeting kings, I'd go with the 1264.

Yup. What Coop just said.

If you're targeting bigger kings (30+) in heavier waters, I might tell you to consider the 1265c. This is about the optimal size fish for the 1264 -which was landed on a Rainshadow 1264c. Anything larger and you'd probably wish you had the 1265c. Note the Baston Enterprises, hat. Appropriate hat wear and photo for this conversaion.

Can't go wrong with a well wrapped Rainshadow with quality components, IMO.

Also landed on the same 1264c...and really wished I using a 1265c. This was a mean fish.

Posted by: Brewer

Re: Rainshadow? - 07/21/15 02:06 PM

RS all the way!!! have many and have never been let down.

Re: Rainshadow? - 07/21/15 02:25 PM

Wow those are some beautiful fish! However I probably won't be getting too many like that on the end of my line. It would be geared more towards the Steelhead, Silvers, Chum, and maybe the occasional King. Mostly fishing the local Puget Sound rivers, really nothing over 20lbs.
Posted by: Todd

Re: Rainshadow? - 07/21/15 02:35 PM

Originally Posted By: paker

If you're targeting bigger kings (30+) in heavier waters, I might tell you to consider the 1265c. This is about the optimal size fish for the 1264 -which was landed on a Rainshadow 1264c. Anything larger and you'd probably wish you had the 1265c. Note the Baston Enterprises, hat. Appropriate hat wear and photo for this conversaion.

My favorite part is how you took off your SSJ hat (behind you on the seat) for this pic...I'm betting a dollar that there are a couple of pics with you, this fish, and the SSJ hat, too...amiright?

NascarPaker

Fish on...

Todd
Posted by: STRIKE ZONE

Re: Rainshadow? - 07/21/15 03:00 PM

LMFAO.............@ least his guide wasn't in the pic. Lol. Goodluck,

SZ
Posted by: eswan

Re: Rainshadow? - 07/21/15 06:08 PM

Iv got a xst1263 spinning wrapped with alps guides and a plfueger patriarch a year ago and its a great set up steelhead/coho rod. The 1264 is next if I can justify its little use for fall nooks. 4th batson xst rod I own and I love them all. Just dont let the girlfriend pin it against the boat with a good fish on... they break
Posted by: teamster

Re: Rainshadow? - 07/21/15 06:26 PM

OOPS,Burnt!
Posted by: Free_Globbin

Re: Rainshadow? - 07/21/15 08:32 PM

My arsenal of Rainshadow rods has built substantially over the last couple of years. I would be hard pressed to look anywhere else for a rod these days. I would also strongly recommend looking at a 1324 if you are considering 1264 at all. It's a little longer and the action is sweet. It was the first rod I reached for all last fall and winter.

Re: Rainshadow? - 07/21/15 08:37 PM

Originally Posted By: Todd
My favorite part is how you took off your SSJ hat (behind you on the seat) for this pic...I'm betting a dollar that there are a couple of pics with you, this fish, and the SSJ hat, too...amiright?

NascarPaker

Fish on...

Todd

I didn't take off a SSJ Hat. I was wearing my Batson hat. Strike One.
You owe me a dollar. There are no pics with me in an SSJ hat, Biatch. Strike two.
That is Superfly's hat. Strike three.

I'll forgive you if you send me a RVRFSHR hat. smile

NascarPaker approves!
Posted by: Salmo g.

Re: Rainshadow? - 07/22/15 08:40 AM

Not only is Paker the ultimate boat whore, he's the ultimate gear pimp as well, with a logo hat for every occasion. That Paker guy must be rolling in royalties . . . , or at least a lot of swag.
Posted by: Beezer

Re: Rainshadow? - 07/22/15 08:55 AM

Oh and Paker you need some goo prints on your waders like Fly's....

Rainshadow xst 1264 is a good all around rod.
Posted by: Twitch

Re: Rainshadow? - 07/22/15 11:49 AM

Originally Posted By: paker
Originally Posted By: Todd

NascarPaker

Fish on...

Todd

I didn't take off a SSJ Hat. I was wearing my Batson hat. Strike One.
You owe me a dollar. There are no pics with me in an SSJ hat, Biatch. Strike two.
That is Superfly's hat. Strike three.

I'll forgive you if you send me a RVRFSHR hat. smile

NascarPaker approves!

I will vouch for it being Fly's hat...
Pakers looks different wink
Posted by: Todd

Re: Rainshadow? - 07/22/15 11:52 AM

I've got a Rvrfshr beanie for you, The Paker wink

Let's get a beer or four some time.

Fish on...

Todd

Re: Rainshadow? - 07/22/15 12:36 PM

Originally Posted By: Twitch

I will vouch for it being Fly's hat...
Pakers looks different wink

My SSJ hat is red. Biatch! smile
Posted by: teamster

Re: Rainshadow? - 07/22/15 06:42 PM

He only needs two hats, one to [Bleeeeep!] in and the other to cover it up with!
Posted by: chrome/22

Re: Rainshadow? - 07/22/15 07:37 PM

Originally Posted By: Denham
I'm looking to have a custom float rod built and have heard a lot about how good these blanks are for the money. I'm deciding between the XST 1263 and 1264 in a casting outfit and hoping someone had any input between these two blanks. I'd really appreciate some help!

Had a 1264c XST, it's a big powerful rod, only suited for kings imo. Never fished the 1263 but it's got to be the more versatile of the 2.

Had a RX-7 in the 1143s it was a good coho & steelhead stick. Fished a RX-7 1144c one day w/ Kerry Batson & really liked it, if your looking for more than just strictly float rod you might want to look @ that model.

c/22

Re: Rainshadow? - 07/22/15 08:48 PM

Originally Posted By: teamster
He only needs two hats, one to [Bleeeeep!] in and the other to cover it up with!

Who let this old Teamster out of his kennel again?

Re: Rainshadow? - 07/23/15 12:06 PM

Originally Posted By: chrome/22
I'm looking to have a custom float rod built and have heard a lot about how good these blanks are for the money. I'm deciding between the XST 1263 and 1264 in a casting outfit and hoping someone had any input between these two blanks. I'd really appreciate some help!

Had a 1264c XST, it's a big powerful rod, only suited for kings imo. Never fished the 1263 but it's got to be the more versatile of the 2.

Had a RX-7 in the 1143s it was a good coho & steelhead stick. Fished a RX-7 1144c one day w/ Kerry Batson & really liked it, if your looking for more than just strictly float rod you might want to look @ that model.

c/22

I have an 1163c IMX that very similar to that 1144 RX-4. If you think the 1264c XST is a bit heavy, it sounds like the 1263 would be a bit better! Thanks

Re: Rainshadow? - 07/23/15 10:02 PM

I have an 1163c IMX that very similar to that 1144 RX-4. If you think the 1264c XST is a bit heavy, it sounds like the 1163 would be a bit better! Thanks

I drift/float fished that same IMX on the Bogie for a day last winter. If I remember correctly I caught 2 wild February steelhead on it, one an extremely hard fighting mid- teener chrome hen that we were fortunate to bring to hand.

Had that 1163c folded over almost to the cork as she powered past the drifter and shot upstream toward the wood & was just able to turn her in time. Was wishing for my Sage 296 @ that moment but it worked out in the end.

1163c is a nice light stick, but that RX7 or XST 1144 has more power in the bottom end, trust me on that.

Re: Rainshadow? - 07/28/15 09:12 PM

Spiral wrapping a 1324? Good idea?
Posted by: Free_Globbin

Re: Rainshadow? - 07/29/15 06:35 AM

Yes
Posted by: fishbadger

Re: Rainshadow? - 07/30/15 12:45 PM

Originally Posted By: chrome/22

c/22

I agree with c/22 (only in this instance).

I built on an XST1263 and it's plenty stick to land any steel in WA, even on the bank. I also use it to float fish kings from a boat, where I might be able to chase them around a little bit. IF you're targeting magnum Chinook from the bank, then I'd upgrade to 1264, but I think you'd be bummed lugging that stick around to catch 10 lb fish on average.

That's my experience, but your mileage may vary.

fb
Posted by: fishbadger

Re: Rainshadow? - 07/30/15 12:47 PM

Originally Posted By: Free_Globbin

Yes

The last 10 casting rods I built were spiral, but none were for float fishing. I've wondered how that would pay out line on a spiral setup (assuming simple spiral, one bumper guide). Might have to try it. Does braid pay out as friction free as convention guides-on-top setup? Anybody do that for reel?

fb

Re: Rainshadow? - 07/31/15 12:21 PM

Originally Posted By: fishbadger

I agree with c/22
That's my experience, but your mileage may vary.
fb

I can get behind that. agree

Seriously though.........that 1264 is a meatstick to me, but like anything it has it's time & it's place.

Just not on my rod rack.

c/22