It's not a Sea Bass

Posted by: Todd

It's not a Sea Bass - 06/28/16 03:10 PM

...or a Black Bass, or any sort of bass. It's a Black Rockfish...or maybe a Blue Rockfish, since most are unable to tell the difference.

Does calling those fish "bass" bother anyone else?

Fish on...

Todd
Posted by: Dan S.

Re: It's not a Sea Bass - 06/28/16 04:07 PM

Originally Posted By: Todd
...or a Black Bass, or any sort of bass. It's a Black Rockfish...or maybe a Blue Rockfish, since most are unable to tell the difference.

Does calling those fish "bass" bother anyone else?

Fish on...

Todd

No.
Posted by: BroodBuster

Re: It's not a Sea Bass - 06/28/16 04:37 PM

That's why we call them "bombers."
Posted by: Sebastes

Re: It's not a Sea Bass - 06/28/16 09:13 PM

OK, Black Rockfish are Sebastes Melonops, Blue Rockfish have a smaller mouth and stripes on their head, They both are good eating, but do not
last well when frozen even when shcrinked wrapped more that 3 months.
Bombers are Widow and Yellow Tail rockfish, which usually are high in the water columns except that Blacks and Blues are feeding on isopods on the surface. All are excellent eating when property processed. When Fred Vaner Hoff and I wrote our book on bottom fishing in 1977 there were 53 recognized 53 species of PNW bottom fish. Red Snapper are a southern tropical fisnh and not a PNW bottom fish. That's my picture on our PNW species of our wonderful bottom fish,
Posted by: OceanSun

Re: It's not a Sea Bass - 06/28/16 09:45 PM

My brothers and I grew up on your book - hammered the heck out of the "seabass" and "rockcod", true and ling cod all over the Sound and the San Juans.

I think some of the slang terms grouping all bottomfish together was more prevalent in the past when many of them were considered a nuisance. With better education about preparing and eating them along with reduced opportunity with the sexier fish, fishermen began paying more attention to what they were catching and identifying them correctly. The days of going out in the sound and catching a gunny sack full of bottomfish or "rockcod" are long gone. For the record we always bled and iced even the lowly bottomfish clear back in the '70's.
Posted by: eyeFISH

Re: It's not a Sea Bass - 06/28/16 09:52 PM

Yeah, it's just laziness... names like black sea bass and Johnny bass just roll so easily off the tongue.

I suppose it's no different than the dudes who call our local rivers Hump 'nooch 'halis or 'sop.

SERIALLY?

OK I can live with the Hump, but the others sorta bug me.
Posted by: Carcassman

Re: It's not a Sea Bass - 06/28/16 09:55 PM

Long time ago WDF bios interviewed anglers and asked them what they had caught. It was amazing what folks called fish. It is odd that hunters, especially bird, are expected to make species and sex distinctions before firing while many anglers are clueless with fit in hand.
Posted by: fishbadger

Re: It's not a Sea Bass - 06/28/16 11:15 PM

Yeah, but only a little. . .they're the most fun part of May fishing for me actually,

fb
Posted by: Jerry Garcia

Re: It's not a Sea Bass - 06/29/16 05:21 AM

Really?
Posted by: fish4brains

Re: It's not a Sea Bass - 06/29/16 06:38 AM

Who cares what people call them? People say a fish "cuts red" and that doesn't make any sense at all.
Posted by: bob r

Re: It's not a Sea Bass - 06/29/16 06:44 AM

Originally Posted By: fish4brains
Who cares what people call them? People say a fish "cuts red" and that doesn't make any sense at all.

I guess not, the morons misidentifying fish don't seem to care that people think that they are uneducated fools. bob r

Re: It's not a Sea Bass - 06/29/16 07:30 AM

It means something when the regs say X is legal and Y is not. If you can't accurately ID fish the only option is something needs protection id to close the fishery. I guess the other option is just to wipe out the rare one....

Re: It's not a Sea Bass - 06/29/16 09:55 AM

I can identify Sebastes Melonops and still call it a black sea bass. Safeway calls chums Silverbrites.

Re: It's not a Sea Bass - 06/29/16 10:51 AM

Originally Posted By: Jerry Garcia
I can identify Sebastes Melonops and still call it a black sea bass. Safeway calls chums Silverbrites.

That's because Safeway is in the business of selling garbage to idiots...maybe I have too high of expectations of fishermen to call the fish they are catching what it is.

Fish on...

Todd

Re: It's not a Sea Bass - 06/29/16 11:04 AM

Originally Posted By: Todd

That's because Safeway is in the business of selling garbage to idiots...maybe I have too high of expectations of fishermen to call the fish they are catching what it is.

Fish on...

Todd

High expectations from fishermen? lol

You should pay closer attention.

Re: It's not a Sea Bass - 06/29/16 12:00 PM

rofl

Fish on...

Todd
Posted by: Dave Vedder

Re: It's not a Sea Bass - 06/29/16 01:44 PM

I agree with Todd, especially when guides and charter skippers misuse the terms. They really should know better. There are about a bazillion fish around the world that folks call a "Red Snapper". But our Yellow Eye rockfish is not a snapper, nor IMHO is it any tastier than the others.

In fact the real bigguns are often wormy and woody. I know Im right because I often fish with Sebastes, and he really did write the book on rockfish.

But because I fear death by fire, Dan is right.
Posted by: Dogfish

Re: It's not a Sea Bass - 06/30/16 07:33 AM

For [Bleeeeep!] sake, political correctness has now reached the fishing world.
Posted by: fishbadger

Re: It's not a Sea Bass - 06/30/16 07:51 AM

Really?

Yes. We caught some big butts on my boat this year, but something about the rapid action of a good black rockfish bite is addicting (for me at least).

fb

Re: It's not a Sea Bass - 06/30/16 10:22 AM

How do you know that these rockfish don't self-identify as bass?
Posted by: WDFW X 1 = 0

Re: It's not a Sea Bass - 06/30/16 11:14 AM

Originally Posted By: Hankster
Originally Posted By: Dogfish
How do you know that these rockfish don't self-identify as bass?

Right.

Whether they self-identify as Hebass or Shebass shouldn't matter in schools.

It matters to the recent presidential surveys.
He She Vote?
Who gets it?

Re: It's not a Sea Bass - 06/30/16 11:21 AM

I fail to see how calling something by its correct name has anything to do with political correctness. I think your remark was politically incorrect. But hey what would you expect from a saving and loan officer? smile
Posted by: BroodBuster

Re: It's not a Sea Bass - 06/30/16 11:38 AM

^^^micro aggression^^^
Posted by: NOFISH

Re: It's not a Sea Bass - 06/30/16 12:39 PM

^^^^Bullying^^^^^^

rofl rofl
Posted by: Swifty27

Re: It's not a Sea Bass - 06/30/16 01:14 PM

I use black/blue seabass and rockfish interchangeably. Grew up calling them bass, so it's stuck. I think it's like the Oklahoma guys calling every pop "Coke". It's not as offensive as the people who refer to pop as "soda".
Posted by: wntrrn

Re: It's not a Sea Bass - 06/30/16 06:09 PM

Steelface. I could do without that one.
Posted by: Jason Beezuz

Re: It's not a Sea Bass - 06/30/16 07:15 PM

I'm gonna say that Todd has a point but I'm gonna disagree and hate this thread. 1 star.

Re: It's not a Sea Bass - 06/30/16 08:46 PM

Originally Posted By: Dave Vedder

But hey what would you expect from a saving and loan officer? smile

That hurt Dave. That really hurt. I have never worked for a thrift.

I need a safe space.

Re: It's not a Sea Bass - 06/30/16 09:14 PM

lol

You do realize you're not like other bankers, right Andy?

Re: It's not a Sea Bass - 06/30/16 10:42 PM

Originally Posted By: Dan S.
lol

You do realize you're not like other bankers, right Andy?

Unpossible.

Re: It's not a Sea Bass - 07/01/16 05:19 AM

Originally Posted By: Dave Vedder

But hey what would you expect from a saving and loan officer? smile

That hurt Dave. That really hurt. I have never worked for a thrift.

I need a safe space.

From everything I've heard you live in a safe space--- other than the turkeys.. Have you sold any passes for the gate when TSHTF?

Re: It's not a Sea Bass - 07/05/16 12:39 AM

I actually wrote a college paper on the various names of Black Rockfish from northern California to Alaska but that was so long ago I don't remember the sequence. Blacks are one of my favorite rockfish. My wife Diane and I lived on Black Rockfish, along with Mac & Cheese and 39 cent a pound hamburger when we were going to Humboldt State in the early sixties. Gas was 19 cents a gallon back then.

Re: It's not a Sea Bass - 07/05/16 03:20 PM

Heres two ID photos, BRF and BRF, The Black has a larger mouth , the Blue black stripes near its mouth which is smaller.

Re: It's not a Sea Bass - 07/05/16 05:25 PM

Another black and blue pic

Re: It's not a Sea Bass - 07/05/16 05:56 PM

Unfortunately the bigger the blues get, or the deader they are, the harder it is to see the striping on their face...not that it matters much in Washington, they are both open in the same places and count the same towards your bottomfish limit.

Still not a bass, though.

Fish on...

Todd
Posted by: Brent K

Re: It's not a Sea Bass - 07/05/16 09:01 PM

Originally Posted By: Sebastes
OK, Black Rockfish are Sebastes Melonops,

Sebastes Melonops kind of sounds like latin for sea bass to me. wink

Re: It's not a Sea Bass - 07/05/16 09:01 PM

I think Bantam caught more than a few of them thar "sea basses" in the big blue pond this weekend.

Turned their carcasses into a mess of another kind of creepy crawly bottom dweller. However, it might be a stretch to call them ones basses.
Posted by: Larry B

Re: It's not a Sea Bass - 07/06/16 01:20 PM

Honest officer, if that one is a black sea bass then that other one must be a red sea bass. Yelloweye rockfish? Really? Closed season?? Is that your ticket book???

Re: It's not a Sea Bass - 07/06/16 01:47 PM

I know an area at Neah Bay where you better be able to tell a China Rockfish from the other varieties.

Leaving in a few minutes to catch black and blue rockfish and maybe a lingosauruis
Posted by: Paul Smenis

Re: It's not a Sea Bass - 07/06/16 02:42 PM

Give me a Steve's special and a fresh can of kodiak and I'll be rippin' and lippin' 'da bass in 'da boat all day!!!
Posted by: Bantam

Re: It's not a Sea Bass - 07/06/16 10:27 PM

I love me some Sea Bassin....

Re: It's not a Sea Bass - 07/07/16 07:57 AM

I found it odd when I first moved up to WA from CA in 72 that rockfish were generally looked down up as a trash fish unworthy of retaining. It was salmon or nothing. Which meant I got to eat a lot f really tasty fish and didn't have to share.
Posted by: STRIKE ZONE

Re: It's not a Sea Bass - 07/07/16 10:43 AM

Wow, Get over it. Sea-Bass,Nooch,Hump,Halis,Sappy. There I said it. Lmfao.Good luck,

SZ