Area 11, Anyone Fishing around Tacoma

Posted by: fishenfool

Area 11, Anyone Fishing around Tacoma - 06/16/18 08:30 AM

Putting my boat in at Chinook Marina, Fished area last year and was not impressed, had my boat at Tyee Marina, that dock is crap, trip over protruding nails and boards, caught some kings but nothing over 16lbs (I had been fishing out of DesMoines for 30 years). I see they closed the area east of the Cliff House and Anchored Navy Ships. Use to fish Pt Defiance area for spring Kings and it was good, but that was years ago.
Just wondering if any of you have been fishing area 11 south end
Posted by: Terry Roth

Re: Area 11, Anyone Fishing around Tacoma - 06/19/18 08:41 PM

It's on and off, depending on where the baitfish are. Fished the Point yesterday and today, lost one at the boat, saw no nets out. LAst week was lights out! Had 8 seals/sea lions just north of the POint this AM. They have been doing well!!
LOTS of dogfish moved in this week. Sorry for the pessimistic news!

Average size blackmouth is 8-10#, getting smaller every year.
Posted by: slabhunter

Re: Area 11, Anyone Fishing around Tacoma - 06/24/18 03:49 PM

Took a friend and his guest on a boat ride to Pt Evens. We jigged the tide change. Foul hooked a herring and used it as bait for the guest's line. He caught the only fish of the day.

Nice 10lb chinook.

Re: Area 11, Anyone Fishing around Tacoma - 07/13/18 08:11 AM

Picked up a 10 lbr 2 days ago at BP on low tide, will try again on todays low,
Posted by: Silver1

Re: Area 11, Anyone Fishing around Tacoma - 07/13/18 05:20 PM

Closed now Tuesday thru Thursday starting next week. We went from no quota and lotsa opportunity, to a quota, and now a closure 3 days a week. Early shot of unexpected hatchery fish and blackmouth, so summer season cut in half. Oh well, there's always crabbing. Uh, no.
Posted by: fishbadger

Re: Area 11, Anyone Fishing around Tacoma - 07/13/18 10:44 PM

Well on the one hand that sucks balls, but on the other hand I think we're lucky we can still fish area 11 at all. From what I saw around the Point in the first two weeks of June, they dealt on the 5300+ quota fish in a great big hurry (albeit most were BM and shorts of course). Big fleet, lots of double digit fish days. We should just be happy they didn't shutter down altogether (yet).

fb

Re: Area 11, Anyone Fishing around Tacoma - 07/16/18 12:47 PM

https://fortress.wa.gov/dfw/erules/efishrules/erule.jsp?id=2170

Wow! I told my friend to expect to go on the Gig Harbor side Wednesday. Guess we will not have lunch at the Tides Tavern. lame
Posted by: Larry B

Re: Area 11, Anyone Fishing around Tacoma - 07/16/18 02:28 PM

You can always run down to MA13 or launch out of the promised multi-lane launch at Chambers Bay. What launch you ask? Well, the one promised by Pierce County if we would support purchase of that property with our vote. And which has yet to be constructed. Or you can become a member of TOA and launch there. Oops, sorry, Metro Parks has let that slide into oblivion. Bottom line, there is NO general public deep water launch on Pierce County's eastern shore south of Point Defiance. Shameful!!

Re: Area 11, Anyone Fishing around Tacoma - 07/19/18 10:41 AM

I have to agree Larry, seems at best incongruent that there's so much "opportunity" in MA13, but so little access.

fb
Posted by: stonefish

Re: Area 11, Anyone Fishing around Tacoma - 07/19/18 11:05 AM

I'm really surprised there is such a small king quota for MA 11.
Is there a certain stock they are trying to protect...maybe White River springers?

We'll see if another 20-40K show up at Tumwater and the Nisqually this year.

That is a lot of missed opportunity.....
Oh, and let's not forget about another 30K on the Skok.
SF
Posted by: BW

Re: Area 11, Anyone Fishing around Tacoma - 07/19/18 12:45 PM

I would think they have to do something to protect from the classic "low holing" that is the Puget Sound. After all if all the fish were taken in MA 9 for example how ticked off would you be in MA 11. All of this is a compromise after all.
Posted by: Krijack

Re: Area 11, Anyone Fishing around Tacoma - 07/19/18 01:08 PM

The Deschutes got over 30,000 surplus and minter got about 8000 surplus adults, the Nisqually is not reported, but I think they got 26000 surplus. The Puyallup go around 6000 surplus at the main hatchery, no idea how many the tribe may have gotten at the Clarks Creek hatchery. So, roughly 70,000 that could have been caught without problem. Then, just as interesting is the jack counts. The Deschutes is fairly normal with a number equal to about 10% of the adults. Minter creek had 4198 jacks compared to 10116 adults and the Puyallup had 3997 jacks compared to 5599 adults.

If jacks are an indicator to the total run count, and if other areas are reducing their impacts, is there any reason for the reduced takes that are being allowed? My gut feeling is that the high harvest rates are indicative of what is available. Expect even higher surpluses back to the hatcheries.

I don't know if anyone else caught it, but the Nisqually is not allowing any coho take this year. The last time this happened the fish were there, the tribe started netting and we were not allowed a season until the run was over. I know for most of you none of this effects you, but it is very reflective of how the department seems to set their seasons.

Re: Area 11, Anyone Fishing around Tacoma - 07/19/18 01:17 PM

There was an article last September in the Olympian that estimated they might get 40K back to the Nisqually.
I'm not sure how many fish they ended up with our handed out at the hatchery.

I understand the trickle down affect, but that applies to MA 9 as well.
Its not like any MA 9 stocks aren't caught before they hit that area.

It just seems to me, especially in the south sound with mostly hatchery fish and large surplus hatchery returns that MA 11 should have a higher quota then 5,300 fish.
SF
Posted by: BW

Re: Area 11, Anyone Fishing around Tacoma - 07/19/18 02:06 PM

I was merely using MA9 as an example. Area 13 is the last in line and it can be a little frustrating to hear the areas north of there complaining about wanting more fish when 13 has really gone to hell. Just saying
Posted by: Sky-Guy

Re: Area 11, Anyone Fishing around Tacoma - 07/19/18 02:52 PM

The NIsqually had something like 20-30k Surplus hatchery Chinook last year. maybe the fishermen suck down that way??? slap
Posted by: Carcassman

Re: Area 11, Anyone Fishing around Tacoma - 07/19/18 03:56 PM

It all gets caught up in impacts. The Nisqually and Puyallup have wild stocks of Falls that limit fisheries, even in the river. Unless you fish very selectively, a method with zero mortality, there will be that surplus at the hatchery.

Back in the 70s WDF was getting surpluses at the Chinook hatcheries, particularly in streams with good hatcheries but wild management (such as the Green). They reduced the problem of surpluses by reducing the escapement goal. There is a balance point, easily calculated, that would match the wild run with how large the hatchery program should be to not have surpluses. Unfortunately, on many of our streams, the wild run is so small that not much artificial production should occur.
Posted by: JTD

Re: Area 11, Anyone Fishing around Tacoma - 07/19/18 04:09 PM

Originally Posted By: Sky-Guy
The NIsqually had something like 20-30k Surplus hatchery Chinook last year. maybe the fishermen suck down that way??? slap

I fished it half a dozen times last season for two fish to the boat and may have seen roughly the same number caught by other boats. “Suck” might be the correct word for it but not necessarily in the context Sky-Guy used.
Posted by: Todd

Re: Area 11, Anyone Fishing around Tacoma - 07/19/18 04:41 PM

An unfortunate thing about those south sound Chinook is that they bite worse and worse the farther south they go...and then there are just a couple of spots where they seem to randomly feed, and then a lot of spots full of non-biting fish.

Fish on...

Todd

Re: Area 11, Anyone Fishing around Tacoma - 07/20/18 11:19 AM

The low quota in 11 may be attributable to the low allowable impact on a sparse protected Puyallup stock, or to the strong bargaining power of the Puy tribe, or a combination of the two. Certainly not a reflection of the expected strong hatchery returns on the tribs of 11/13. True they do go off the bite more the closer they get to their destination tribs. You guys should definitely stay up at Possession, MCB, CQ, Neah, WP. . .the fishing sucks down here wink

fb
Posted by: Sol Duc

Re: Area 11, Anyone Fishing around Tacoma - 07/20/18 06:29 PM

I've had terrible results around the clay banks. I have fished it probably 7-8 times and zippo. I just usually go no farther Than Browns point/ Dash Point. I always had good luck with the Silvers there.

Re: Area 11, Anyone Fishing around Tacoma - 07/21/18 01:05 PM

Perhaps the MA 11 should be split up by the Ferry lane to Vashon. West side can fish due to lower Sound abundance. East side should wait for test fishing results?

Re: Area 11, Anyone Fishing around Tacoma - 07/22/18 07:15 PM

fished the incoming tide from 9-4pm today, started at girl scout camp and trolled with tide toward ferry dock, lots of bait, no biters. left there and shot across west and fished gig harbor shoreline and in front of gig harbor and toward the bridge, some bait and no fish. Headed east and fished Pt Defiance area until 4pm. nothing on purple haze, one shaker on coyote spoon...WTF where are the fish???could have fished Browns Point and saved gas...
Posted by: Terry Roth

Re: Area 11, Anyone Fishing around Tacoma - 07/24/18 07:54 PM

Fished Point D Friday, counted 37 seals and sea lions!! No shortage of dogfish and red jellyfish. Caught 2 dogfish on herring in a Pro-troll holder, one was big enough to be a real hassle to unhook, it was foul hooked in the dorsal fin! Tried its best to stab me with its tail stinger.

Went over to Gig Harbor and trolled all the way to Point Richmond, lots of weed in the water but no action. On the upside, lots of bait balls. Did some jigging for herring, and hooked a couple salmon smolts.

Sorry for the pessimistic post!! At least it wsn't pissing rain....

Re: Area 11, Anyone Fishing around Tacoma - 07/27/18 12:05 PM

Fishing Rule Change
Washington Department of Fish and Wildlife
July 27, 2018

Boat angling for salmon to reopen 7 days per week in Marine Area 11

Action: Marine Area 11 (Tacoma-Vashon Island) will reopen to boat angling for salmon seven days per week.

Salmon fishing is also open daily in Marine Area 11 from fishing piers and shorelines.

Effective date: 12 a.m. Tuesday, July 31.

Species affected: Salmon.

Reason for action: The fishery was closed to boat anglers Tuesdays through Thursdays to allow the fishery to extend later into the season.

Sufficient quota is available to reopen Marine Area 11 to salmon fishing from a boat 7 days per week.

Additional information: For specific regulations, anglers should consult the 2018-19 Washington Sports Fishing Rules pamphlet available online at http://wdfw.wa.gov/fishing/regulations/.

Anglers can check WDFW’s website at https://wdfw.wa.gov/fishing/reports_plants.html for the latest information on marine areas that are managed to a quota or guideline.

Information contact: David Stormer, (360) 902-0058; or Mark Baltzell, Puget Sound salmon manager, (360) 902-2807

Re: Area 11, Anyone Fishing around Tacoma - 07/29/18 03:00 PM

Perhaps this recent closure was to ensure surplus chinook in river.
I'm okay with that. Just wish WDFW would be honest.
Posted by: RUNnGUN

Re: Area 11, Anyone Fishing around Tacoma - 07/29/18 03:25 PM

It's been my experience the closer they get to home the less they bite. Lock jaw for sure. Best place to catch Nisqually and Deschutes kings is the Narrows North. And even then it can be challenging. Would be interesting to know the origin of the majority of whats caught at Mid Channel Bank, by far the best location to find biters.
Posted by: AkKings

Re: Area 11, Anyone Fishing around Tacoma - 08/06/18 05:36 PM

Fished the PSA derby on Saturday around Pt Defiance, managed to find the 5th place fish (13.8lb) had another on briefly that was peeling line for about 5 seconds before letting us go, and released a couple shakers. Only 1 dogfish all day.
Grew up fishing this area but haven't fished it in about 25 years, it all came back quickly, fun day.

Re: Area 11, Anyone Fishing around Tacoma - 08/06/18 06:08 PM

Good to See ya around Scott. I asked about ya up at waterfall this year but most hadnt been there long enough to remember ya. some did.

Re: Area 11, Anyone Fishing around Tacoma - 08/06/18 06:36 PM

Hey Ryley, yeah, I bailed about 5-6 years ago, realized I like spending my summers with my wife and kids better then chasing kings and putting up with resort BS. I think there might be 5-6 guides there that I still know, they've had a big turnover of veteran guides by the looks of things. Hope you did well, surprised you didn't fish with Robbo, or maybe you did?

Re: Area 11, Anyone Fishing around Tacoma - 08/06/18 06:36 PM

Just a reminder that the PSA Gig Harbor derby is happening this coming Saturday, 11 August with the award ceremony beginning about 4:00 P.M. at Bass Pro Shop. Once the top ten fish awards have occurred all other items will be available to attendees by drawing of ticket numbers. Lots of good stuff and everyone has an opportunity to walk away with something. Tickets available at Pt. Defiance, Sportco and Day Island Marina or online at our website (with rules): http://gigharborpsa.org/.

Re: Area 11, Anyone Fishing around Tacoma - 08/06/18 08:19 PM

Originally Posted By: AkKings
Hey Ryley, yeah, I bailed about 5-6 years ago, realized I like spending my summers with my wife and kids better then chasing kings and putting up with resort BS. I think there might be 5-6 guides there that I still know, they've had a big turnover of veteran guides by the looks of things. Hope you did well, surprised you didn't fish with Robbo, or maybe you did?

Fished with jimmy last year, this year I fished with Richard (AKA Addicted) @ Waterfall...Kings were tough but I have enough pink in the freezer anyway, & and we had a total blast focusing on live baiting monster lings. Sounds like you got your priorities straight! Lemme know if you have a B10 seat open smile

Re: Area 11, Anyone Fishing around Tacoma - 08/06/18 08:52 PM

I should know by the end of the week about B-10, I'll let you know. If things work out I'll be down there the 20th-24th in a new boat.
I think I got out of AK at a good time, the fishing up there the past few years sure ain't like it was, glad I can say I was there for the good ol days.
Posted by: The Moderator

Re: Area 11, Anyone Fishing around Tacoma - 08/07/18 12:49 PM

Lemme know if you have a B10 seat open smile

Why do YOU need a seat at B10???? Just haul that little dingy-of-a-boat of yours on down to Astoria. smile

I'd PAY your launch fee to see you launch that at the East Mooring Basin.

rofl

PS. Heading down with Randy and Scawtty (Sledddddddddddddder and CanyonMan) from the 17-24th. If you see some knuckle heads in a nice shiny 24' North River Seahawk, say hi.

Re: Area 11, Anyone Fishing around Tacoma - 08/07/18 01:00 PM

I cant afford a truck and trailer yet, im spending all my money on gas... grin

Re: Area 11, Anyone Fishing around Tacoma - 08/07/18 02:04 PM

Lots of boats out there. No body is talking. zip

Re: Area 11, Anyone Fishing around Tacoma - 08/08/18 07:02 PM

fished Pt Robinson last week, picked up 16lbrs 2 days in a roll, went out this afternoon for 4;30 high at Browns pt to much garbage in water so motored north a mile dropped down 75' and went over bait ball and had my 4th 16lbr fish in 5 days of fishing sound. took neighbor out last week to Pt R after getting my 16lbrs the previous days and caught 8lb king and 5 lb silver all at 75', neighbor had no hits... catching bigger fish then what I was catching last year in sound, heading out in AM for tide, probably Pt Robinson, need to fuel up in DesMoines...

Re: Area 11, Anyone Fishing around Tacoma - 08/08/18 08:19 PM

Loose lips sink ships. I think it's great you're catching fish, but you do realize this is a quota fishery and fish checks are not the only tools used to shut it down. Just sayin'.
Posted by: deerlick

Re: Area 11, Anyone Fishing around Tacoma - 08/08/18 10:04 PM

Or not, nobody reads this anymore. I'm sure there is endless facebook posts about it to go [Bleeeeep!] on.

Re: Area 11, Anyone Fishing around Tacoma - 08/08/18 11:08 PM

If you fish out of Pt. Defiance be sure that if you are questioned by a WDFW fish checker that you ensure that they ask you where you caught your fish rather than allowing them to assume any fish were caught in MA11 (when they might have been caught in MA 13). Accuracy in creel surveys is critical.

Re: Area 11, Anyone Fishing around Tacoma - 08/09/18 04:46 AM

Point taken deerlick. Not a facebooker so I can only imagine. It seems that we're our own worst enemy at times.
A question for those in the know. If we reach chinook quota in Area 11, are there impacts set aside for the silver fishery or will we be sitting on the beach. Thanks.

Re: Area 11, Anyone Fishing around Tacoma - 08/09/18 12:06 PM

Beach, me-thinks.

fb
Posted by: Jake Dogfish

Re: Area 11, Anyone Fishing around Tacoma - 08/09/18 12:45 PM

Originally Posted By: deerlick
Or not, nobody reads this anymore. I'm sure there is endless facebook posts about it to go [Bleeeeep!] on.

Plenty reading the board. The logging in every week prevents posting.
Posted by: Jake Dogfish

Re: Area 11, Anyone Fishing around Tacoma - 08/09/18 01:01 PM

Originally Posted By: Larry B
If you fish out of Pt. Defiance be sure that if you are questioned by a WDFW fish checker that you ensure that they ask you where you caught your fish rather than allowing them to assume any fish were caught in MA11 (when they might have been caught in MA 13). Accuracy in creel surveys is critical.

I have been checked by enforcement in nearly every Marine area at least 15-20 times. I have never been surveyed by a fish checker. I have seen them while heading out a few times. They must go home early.

This is a broken system. It’s even worse in fresh water. Every Chinook counted is multiplied by 8 to 9 times and rising. It goes up every year go look at the Sport catch report. Turning in a full card adds 256 Fish to the Sport tally.
People from out of town, kids, one time fishers etc. are not turning there cards in which causes this rate to go up. I still remember when they doubled the reported catch, those were the good old days.

Re: Area 11, Anyone Fishing around Tacoma - 08/13/18 04:17 PM

Originally Posted By: Jake Dogfish
Originally Posted By: Larry B

I have been checked by enforcement in nearly every Marine area at least 15-20 times. I have never been surveyed by a fish checker. I have seen them while heading out a few times. They must go home early.

This is a broken system. It’s even worse in fresh water. Every Chinook counted is multiplied by 8 to 9 times and rising. It goes up every year go look at the Sport catch report. Turning in a full card adds 256 Fish to the Sport tally.
People from out of town, kids, one time fishers etc. are not turning there cards in which causes this rate to go up. I still remember when they doubled the reported catch, those were the good old days.

The point of my post was to encourage fishers to ensure that IF they are contacted by a fish checker that they are asked where the fish was caught. Reason? There was some concern that folks coming in to Pt. Defiance with fish were presumed to have caught those fish in MA 11 when some had actually been caught in MA 13.

Re: Area 11, Anyone Fishing around Tacoma - 08/22/18 01:58 PM

Quote:
WDFW FISHING RULE CHANGE
Washington Department of Fish and Wildlife
600 Capitol Way North, Olympia, WA 98501-1091
http://wdfw.wa.gov

Aug. 20, 2018

CORRECTION: The previous version was unclear whether the rule applies at year-round docks and fishing piers within Marine Area 11. Anglers fishing at those docks and fishing piers may retain one chinook as part of a daily limit of two salmon, consistent with rules for fishing piers around Puget Sound.

August 15, 2018

Hatchery chinook retention to increase to 2 per day in Marine Area 11

Action: Daily limit of hatchery chinook salmon will increase to two in Marine Area 11 (Tacoma-Vashon Island), except at year-round docks and piers.

Effective date: 12 a.m. Friday, Aug. 17.

Species affected: Hatchery chinook salmon

Location: Marine Area 11 (Tacoma-Vashon Island), excluding year-round docks and piers.

Reason for action: Preliminary estimates indicate that anglers have harvested 63 percent of the summer quota through Aug. 12. Sufficient quota remains to increase the daily limit for hatchery chinook salmon to two.

Additional information: Anglers fishing Marine Area 11 have a daily catch limit of two salmon but must release wild chinook, except for the year-round docks and piers (listed in the 2018-19 Washington Sport Pamphlet), where anglers may retain only 1 chinook salmon (wild or hatchery). For more information, anglers should consult the 2018-19 Washington Sports Fishing Rules pamphlet available online at http://wdfw.wa.gov/fishing/regulations/.

Anglers can check WDFW's website at https://wdfw.wa.gov/fishing/reports_plants.html for the latest information on marine areas that are managed to a quota or guideline.

Information contact: David Stormer, Puget Sound recreational salmon fishery manager, (360) 902-0058; or Mark Baltzell, Puget Sound salmon manager, (360) 902-2807.