Worms

Posted by: stonefish

Worms - 12/31/08 11:56 AM

Tied up a few worms for my next OP trip. Any suggestions on things you'd do differently on these?
Posted by: AP a.k.a. Kaiser D

Re: Worms - 12/31/08 01:21 PM

I like the ones with the maribou tails. The wrapped hackle around the head is cool too.

It will be interesting to hear if the ones on the right have the same lifelike movements that plastic worms have or whether they look like sticks in the water.
Posted by: OPfisher

Re: Worms - 12/31/08 02:12 PM

Originally Posted By: Kaiser D.
I like the ones with the maribou tails. The wrapped hackle around the head is cool too.

It will be interesting to hear if the ones on the right have the same lifelike movements that plastic worms have or whether they look like sticks in the water.

They move pretty awsome in the water. FYI
Brian, I like tying mine with a pink bead head, just looks cleaner, other than that, go do some damage with them!
Posted by: Birdsnest

Re: Worms - 12/31/08 02:37 PM

Reminds me of the dingleberry jig which is similar except it uses a red bead on the bottom and the worm is made from krystal dubbing.

Re: Worms - 12/31/08 03:01 PM

Originally Posted By: OPfisher
Originally Posted By: Kaiser D.

They move pretty awsome in the water. FYI
Brian, I like tying mine with a pink bead head, just looks cleaner, other than that, go do some damage with them!

Justin,
Thanks for the bead suggestion.
Posted by: Salmo g.

Re: Worms - 12/31/08 09:01 PM

Those look pretty cool. How do you tie them? I haven't evolved much and still tie most of my winter run flies on standard #2 or #1 hooks.

Sg

Re: Worms - 12/31/08 11:36 PM

Salmo,
Trilobal antron chenille wrapped and super glued to darcron backing. Same as a MOAL is tied.
Posted by: Rocket Red

Re: Worms - 01/07/09 03:01 PM

Those look great. I made some of those but wrapped hackle through them. Unfortunately, I have only caught one steelhead on one, and I was boondogging it on the Cowlitz with a spinning rod. I did use them for fly rod sea-bass, and they work great!
Posted by: wolverine

Re: Worms - 01/08/09 01:07 AM

Brian, I've done the pink worm tie a few times. 2 vises, 92553 hook in each vise, tie dacron between the hooks, dab of super glue on the knots, tie on a few pieces of crystal flash on the tail hook, bead chain or t-bone, on the top hook, coat the dacron with pliobond or softex so its a bit more flexible, wrap the chenile, short hackle on the top hook, clip the front hook.
Posted by: BCB

Re: Worms - 01/15/09 08:00 PM

My dog had pink worms once! eek2
Posted by: litlcleo

Re: Worms - 01/16/09 10:05 AM

I remember running onto a spey fisher on the Hoh.We were camped next to each other at the oxbow.He asked me what I liked to use and I said shiny things and pink worms.He laughed at the idea of building a worm fly.Two days of hard work on his part and no fish,This guy worked hard to.I showed him how to get onto the canyon where he fished all day again.No fish but he got to watch A big time fly guide come through using what else a worm..I get back into camp with a fresh bottle of crown to find him feverishly trying to tie a worm with one vice.
Posted by: Todd

Re: Worms - 01/17/09 08:39 PM

Those'll work just fine...two winters ago at Cottonwood a fly guide on the other side of the river watched me catch back to back to back fish on pink worms during a massive rain squall...he yelled over to ask what the hell I was using, and I held it up for him. He jogged up to his boat, dug around in his boxes, and came jogging back down with a leech that was about four inches long and cerise...I gave him the thumbs up, and he tied on his client's tippet.

The clients were an older couple, and within three casts the wife was into a fish...it ripped around a bit and broke her line, but the way she and her husband were jumping around and taking pics of the broken leader I was pretty sure that not only was the old couple going to get some action back at the hotel, but that the guide was going to get himself a hefty tip before they did smile

Fish on...

Todd
Posted by: First Light

Re: Worms - 02/22/09 12:02 PM

Look good going to have to try a few for steelies and bass.

FL