Clark Fork, MT

Posted by: seastrike

Clark Fork, MT - 03/18/09 07:20 PM

So the boy has the last week on this month/first week of April off from school. He asked if we could road trip to ID and MT. You bet!
Most of the time will be spent skiing/boarding but I'm thinking of a day of fishing. I think me teaching him (10) to swing a 5 wt is going to be a goat rodeo but what the heck.
I don't need any guide suggestions as that isn't in the budget.
My question to anyone who has fished it is this river a decent proposition this time of year? I've driven over it many times on the way to elk camp and always thought it looked like decent water.
If not the Clark how about the Bitteroot?
I'm open to suggestions.
I'm also open to anything up north as I think we'll be in Kalispel for a day or two.
Thanks for any help you dudes have!

Re: Clark's Fork, MT - 03/18/09 07:39 PM

Thank you John.
I'd heard of Rock Creek just couldn't remember the name.
My MT fishing has been limited to Glacier and Yellow.
No raft....this will be a bank affair.
Need to go get the boy some waders.

Re: Clark's Fork, MT - 03/18/09 08:05 PM

This is coming together nicely! I like that drive between Missoula and Darby but man it's gotten overbuilt.
I'm thinking Rock Crk is the spot.
Appreciate the help.
Posted by: huntncoug

Re: Clark's Fork, MT - 03/18/09 09:10 PM

A very good friend of mine guides on the Clark Fork. I will talk to him and see if he has any advice if you want?

Re: Clark's Fork, MT - 03/18/09 09:23 PM

You bet HC.
Thanks to all! Boy Rock Cr. looks pretty. Thanks Chuck and KK!
Let's keep in mind I'm fishing with a puppy and a 10 year old....so don't expect much. Should be a killer trip though.
I remembered that Shell has those 1/2 off coupons for a lot of areas out there (skiing) so I've been stocking up on those.
Posted by: stonefish

Re: Clark's Fork, MT - 03/18/09 10:09 PM

Seastrike,
The store Chuck was referring to on Rock Creek is Fisherman's Mercantile.
http://www.rcmerc.com/storeindex.htm
Good place for info.

Another place with good info over there is Joe Roope's Castaway Shop. Give them a call to see what is going on. They are in CDA.
http://www.castawayflyfishingshop.com/

Have a good trip.
Posted by: Todd

Re: Clark's Fork, MT - 03/19/09 11:13 AM

Originally Posted By: ChuckS

I also like to fish the blackfoot as well.

That was going to be my suggestion, but I think you might need a small army to keep Dave away from Rock Crick by now smile It's better in a boat, anyways.

Have fun out there.

Fish on...

Todd

Re: Clark's Fork, MT - 03/19/09 10:30 PM

Should be good times. Loved those pics of Rock Ck. That bridge made the choice easy as the boy will love it. I'm also going to stay at the flyshop's motel or one of the cabins.
The boy is stoked. We are going to get him some waders tomorrow.
I think we will also do some casting lessons this wknd. Hope it goes better than when I tried to teach his mom how to snowboard.
Posted by: chasbo

Re: Clark's Fork, MT - 03/20/09 12:05 AM

beware of frozen testicles
Posted by: big o

Re: Clark's Fork, MT - 03/20/09 07:06 PM

I would say take him out to a local lake and tie on some yarn at the end of his tippet and have him cast away! It will make the trip a bit more enjoyable if he is not frustrated by not being able to cast grin

Re: Clark's Fork, MT - 03/20/09 08:21 PM

That is my plan for tomorrow big o.
Sorry about the no wader transaction....booties sounded too big. Trying to cure that problem rather than buy new wading boots.
Posted by: BCB

Re: Clark's Fork, MT - 03/20/09 10:09 PM

Chuck whats up? You going to the light Side? Your getting the Fly itch! About time! grin
Posted by: BCB

Re: Clark's Fork, MT - 03/20/09 10:31 PM

That will change this Summer my friend. Remember Im taking you to the closest thing to Montana you can get Here in WA. Get the 5 weight out and polish up on the single haul.
Posted by: Slinger

Re: Clark's Fork, MT - 03/27/09 02:31 AM

bitterroot has been fishing great up around victor for me... better than rock creek or clark fork. action is all on top for the better part of the day with big skwala patterns...stop in at some local fly shops and grab a handful of these and get out on the water

Re: Clark's Fork, MT - 03/27/09 11:45 AM

Thanks Slinger.
Posted by: LoweDown

Re: Clark's Fork, MT - 05/16/09 08:22 AM

Originally Posted By: Kanektok Kid
... check the teperayure.

huh