Fish Skulls

Posted by: ColeyG

Fish Skulls - 02/21/11 12:29 AM

Has anyone been tying with these yet?

http://flymenfishingcompany.org/products/fish-skull/

I picked up a pack at a local store last week and worked them into a spring favorite, the venerable Dolly Lama.

I must say, they cut my tying time about in half over using a cone head, and I don't mind the way they look either. Curious if anyone has tried them in other applications.

Posted by: cobble cruiser

Re: Fish Skulls - 02/21/11 12:54 AM

scary

Re: Fish Skulls - 02/21/11 02:26 AM

Are you lost?

Re: Fish Skulls - 02/21/11 11:32 AM

You will be proud of me coley. I'm making a plan to get down to Carnation to the "River Run" fly shop to take switch lessons. Look out next fall. No, I mean seriously....look out! eek
Posted by: Salmo g.

Re: Fish Skulls - 02/21/11 12:47 PM

I haven't tried them, mainly because they are expensive compared to cone heads. I use them just for the added weight and action on steelhead attractor flies. I think the eyes on them are a good addition to bait fish patterns. Salt water anglers swear that flies with eyes draw more strikes than those without. Your rabbit Clouser with fish skull eyes should be pretty durable for toothy critters.

Sg

Re: Fish Skulls - 02/21/11 01:37 PM

+1 on the cost. Definitely a significant increase over coneheads of the same size/weight.

I haven't played around with them enough to know, but it seems like the design of the head will really limit options for collars and finishing the fly. The slots in the metal seem like they will make it difficult to add a few turns of something like marabou or schlappen, and/or dubbing. Even if it works, the look will still be fairly linear.

Danny, taking fly fishing lessons? They must be playing hockey in hell.

Posted by: SRoffe

Re: Fish Skulls - 02/21/11 11:10 PM

Originally Posted By: cobble cruiser
You will be proud of me coley. I'm making a plan to get down to Carnation to the "River Run" fly shop to take switch lessons. Look out next fall. No, I mean seriously....look out! eek

Holly cow! Am I reading this right?

Re: Fish Skulls - 02/22/11 12:09 AM

Yeah, I can see it already, Danny trying to huck a 12 ball slinky and pink worm with a 9wt.

Re: Fish Skulls - 02/22/11 12:38 AM

If he hadn't sold his 9wt to me he could try.

Re: Fish Skulls - 02/22/11 01:05 AM

Crap! Good point. But I'm goin for the looooong rod buddy. Todd's the 12 ball slinky guy. I only use 5 to 7 balls most of the time. Wait....Let me start over. My slinkies just generally run lighter and most of the time I like using lead if I can get away with it. smile

You'll see. I am determined to try it for awhile. Gotta find out if I likey ya know! grin

Re: Fish Skulls - 02/22/11 01:35 AM

I tried this spey casting a couple times. I just need to grab a rod and go to a bar all by my self, (gravel bar, not tavern) and practice, practice practice. Then afterward go to the bar (tavern, not gravel bar) and enjoy a nice pint of bitter.

Oh, so that I don't hijack this thread Coley, No. I have never tried nor used any flies tied with the fish skull heads. They look nice though. I bet Danny and I would have them hanging off our ears lobes in no time. Not sure who would hook who.

Re: Fish Skulls - 02/22/11 01:45 AM

Originally Posted By: Sam Roffe
I tried this spey casting a couple times. I just need to grab a rod and go to a bar all by my self, (gravel bar, not tavern) and practice, practice practice. Then afterward go to the bar (tavern, not gravel bar) and enjoy a nice pint of bitter.

Oh, so that I don't hijack this thread Coley, No. I have never tried nor used any flies tied with the fish skull heads. They look nice though. I bet Danny and I would have them hanging off our ears lobes in no time. Not sure who would hook who.

Whoa. Easy there fella. For the record, nothing hangs off the ear lobes. thumbs

Re: Fish Skulls - 02/22/11 01:48 AM

Originally Posted By: cobble cruiser

Whoa. Easy there fella. For the record, nothing hangs off the ear lobes. thumbs

Barbless hooks then.

Re: Fish Skulls - 02/22/11 02:40 AM

I tried this spey casting a couple times. I just need to grab a rod and go to a bar all by my self, (gravel bar, not tavern) and practice, practice practice.

That is the great thing about flyfishing for steelhead. Pick a crappy piece of water to "practice on" and you will stand about the same chance of hooking a fish as the guys taking it seriously smile

Once you have it down, keep an eye out for the classic swing water, otherwise known as the long, featureless, knee to waist deep "runs" that one would usually float by without fishing.

No worries about the thread deviation, once Danny showed up, I knew things were going to get messy.

Re: Fish Skulls - 02/22/11 11:28 AM

Dirty gear chuckers. beer

Oh yeah, back to fish skulls. grin

Re: Fish Skulls - 02/22/11 12:40 PM

Yes, long featureless gravel bars are perfect for fly fishing. Heck, they're perfect for everybody (else) to fish. And it's imperative to fish pretty $14 flies from April Volkey's web site, cuz steelhead never eat ugly flies. I add that because I read posts from a couple experienced steelheaders who are asserting that steelhead like different colors on different rivers. I've only fished for steelhead on 30 or 40 or maybe 50 rivers, so I'm probably not qualified to call [censored] on that.

Meanwhile, good for Danny for seeking enlightenment. Spey casting, like fly casting, is something fun to do between bites, which according to Coley is a long, long time. And he's right.

Meanwhile, I wish I had a few of those fish skull clousers to take to Mexico next week. I put those plastic stick-on eyes on dumbell weighted clousers, but they sometimes fall off.

Sg
Posted by: AP a.k.a. Kaiser D

Re: Fish Skulls - 02/22/11 01:58 PM

Those look killer, Coley. I've never even heard of the "Fish Skulls" but I'd always rather fish baitfish patterns with eyes than without.

Re: Fish Skulls - 02/22/11 04:07 PM

Salmo, ifn you think the rabbit versions would suit your needs, I would be happy to send you a handful for product testing purposes smile Be warned, they are big, and heavy!

Lemme know.

Re: Fish Skulls - 02/22/11 06:20 PM

Only if they arrive by Saturday's mail. Flight leaves at 7:00 Sunday. Thanks Coley, but I have a few smaller clousers with the regular dumbell eyes. I just got a 10 wt with a Tarpon line; would that throw the fish skulls?

Sg

Re: Fish Skulls - 02/22/11 08:08 PM

PM me your address. If they go out tomorrow, should be there by Fri no problem. I need photos of a few tropical Dolly Lama eaters for a project I am working on.

I want to see how many species of fish will eat that fly, and then put together a photo essay detailing it, just for fun. I think I am up to 11 or 12 species so far, 14 if you count birds smile

Re: Fish Skulls - 02/22/11 08:54 PM

What size hooks do you want on them?

I have #4 through 6/0.

Re: Fish Skulls - 02/22/11 09:01 PM

Would either of you guys be interested in testing some steelhead nymphs once you are back in WA? KK, I know the thought probably makes you physically ill, but thought I would ask anyhow.

If so, I'll toss a few pieces of steelhead candy in.

Re: Fish Skulls - 02/22/11 09:01 PM

Originally Posted By: ColeyG

I want to see how many species of fish will eat that fly, and then put together a photo essay detailing it, just for fun. I think I am up to 11 or 12 species so far, 14 if you count birds smile

Puget Sound Bullhead? Want a picture of that eating your fly? I bet I could handle that for you Coley. smile

Re: Fish Skulls - 02/22/11 09:02 PM

I don't think I have that one yet, although white fish is on the list!

Re: Fish Skulls - 02/22/11 09:03 PM

Not sure about Nymphing there Coley, but, I'd put them egg patterns under my CP gear for sure!!!

Re: Fish Skulls - 02/22/11 09:05 PM

The pin is the perfect way to fish those, and in fact, what I had in mind when making them!

Re: Fish Skulls - 02/22/11 10:31 PM

PMed my address to ya' Coley. Don't get carried away, since most of our time will be over bonefish, but if we see some fish eaters, I intend to try for them to add to my life list. I don't need tarpon sizes, probably can't cast them. I'll use the 10 wt for snook and grouper or snapper or whatever, there's a fish species that said to be excellent eating, but doesn't look all that much like a gamefish.

Save the nymphs for someone who will use them. I have some Skrunks I got from Twitch last season that haven't gotten wet yet. I really need to fish more for steelhead, but as a weekend warrior, this winter has been a bust between flood and freeze during the times I could go.

Sg
Posted by: The Catcherman

Re: Fish Skulls - 02/22/11 10:34 PM

Going back to the fish skulls, the local fly shop in town brought a bunch in, all different sizes and colors. The largest ones looked like they could be a decent replacement for the cones (weight wise) on the flies I tie for steelhead. I thought about getting some but I couldn't find any in the right color (traditional silver or nickle). I never paid any attention to price. If I thought they'd work, which I do, I'd buy some just to experiment regardless of price, unless it was rediculously high.

Re: Fish Skulls - 02/22/11 11:25 PM

Originally Posted By: Salmo g.
PMed my address to ya' Coley. Don't get carried away, since most of our time will be over bonefish, but if we see some fish eaters, I intend to try for them to add to my life list. I don't need tarpon sizes, probably can't cast them. I'll use the 10 wt for snook and grouper or snapper or whatever, there's a fish species that said to be excellent eating, but doesn't look all that much like a gamefish.

Save the nymphs for someone who will use them. I have some Skrunks I got from Twitch last season that haven't gotten wet yet. I really need to fish more for steelhead, but as a weekend warrior, this winter has been a bust between flood and freeze during the times I could go.

Sg

Sorry for the lack of steelhead time this winter. Hearing that makes me sad, but I know the feeling. The freeze part at least. Plenty of that up here right now. -21F on the drive to work this morning.

10-4 on the nymphs. Sam, wanna get a few wet for me and see if anything eats them?
Posted by: Twitch

Re: Fish Skulls - 02/23/11 09:45 AM

Salmo- I think Stam is going to be feeding Skrunkies to bonefish..... you better take some... A certain FlyGal used them for the same purpose a couple years ago...

Re: Fish Skulls - 02/26/11 03:26 PM

Coley,

I got your flies. Thanks! Those skulls are a lot heavier than coneheads I've cast. Report to follow.

Sg

Re: Fish Skulls - 02/26/11 03:33 PM

Right on.

Don't hit yourself in the head with those babies. I think they'll leave a pretty good welt smile

Have a great trip!

Re: Fish Skulls - 02/26/11 06:55 PM

Yup, I'm with CG and KK. Have fun, take some pictures and be safe.
Posted by: Todd

Re: Fish Skulls - 02/26/11 07:28 PM

Wear goggles and a helmet.

Fish on...

Todd

P.S. Consider shoulder pads and kidney protection, too!
Posted by: schoenweiss

Re: Fish Skulls - 02/27/11 01:52 AM

yep, once i hit myself in the temple, i felt the pain in the opposite lower side of my brain...that can't be good.

but also don't forget an elbow brace
Posted by: OPfisher

Re: Fish Skulls - 02/28/11 11:29 AM

Originally Posted By: Todd
Wear goggles and a helmet.

Fish on...

Todd

P.S. Consider shoulder pads and kidney protection, too!

you and KK gettin kinky again?
Posted by: OPfisher

Re: Fish Skulls - 02/28/11 11:38 AM

I made some of these baby herring for cutts when we first got the skulls in the shop.
I just dont feel like they sink like X-eyed-cones or dumbells...?

Re: Fish Skulls - 03/01/11 10:41 PM

Nice fly J!

I haven't had a chance to cast the skulls yet, obviously, but I have to say my first impression was that despite their bulky size, they weren't terribly dense. I feel like a conehead of similar size is heavier and has a lot lower profile that would sink faster. The skulls have a pretty large void in addition to a lot of surface area that will create drag on the way down. As such, I have compensated by using en even larger size, which is leading to a somewhat disproportionate fly.

Re: Fish Skulls - 03/02/11 02:15 AM

OP,

would those herring patterns might make a nice weight fly for a 5 wt for some cutties?
Posted by: A D Pose

Re: Fish Skulls - 03/03/11 05:22 PM

Hey Cobble-
The FREE spey casting clinics are now held on Saturday mornings 9am to 12pm on the bar at the mouth of the Raging River 'cuz the access road to the mouth of the Tolt got washed out last Winter.
Aaron is a great guy/FFF flycasting instructor and willing to share his knowledge. He also offers private tutalage for 1 on 1 classes. If you live up North- Mike Kinney (one of the Forefathers of Skagit casting) does clinics at Blue Stilly Park on I think Saturdays too-same time frame-check with Hook,Line & Sinker about it. I don't know if All About the Fly (Monroe)is still doing clinics at Ben Howard anymore since their business went strictly online.
Posted by: What

Re: Fish Skulls - 03/10/11 12:43 PM

Using the large rose pink ones to make up some improved swing-dredgers for "spitch pinning".