Will Sauk Open w/ Skagit

Posted by: RUNnGUN

Will Sauk Open w/ Skagit - 02/20/18 11:21 AM

A buddy told me that he went to a Fly Shop up North and they said the Sauk and Suiattle will open w/ the Skagit this coming opener? Any confirmation?
Posted by: Todd

Re: Will Sauk Open w/ Skagit - 02/20/18 12:09 PM

The Sauk will for sure, I would be incredibly surprised if the Suiattle did.

Fish on...

Todd
Posted by: Brent K

Re: Will Sauk Open w/ Skagit - 02/20/18 02:46 PM

The Suiattle was on the list to be opened but they might shrink the open areas to allow enforcement/monitoring dollars to last longer so we get more than 14 days. At least that is how I understand it. It would be nice to have as many river miles open as possible to spread people out.
Posted by: Salmo g.

Re: Will Sauk Open w/ Skagit - 02/22/18 09:59 AM

Agreed; the Suiattle was on the list, but it is not included in the RMP. The Suiattle has limited access and fishing area, so little would be gained by including it since all open area needs to be monitored. Much better to include a section of the mainstem Skagit downstream of the Dalles to about Gilligan Creek.

The main thing is NMFS doesn't officially care what the fishing area boundaries are or when the fishing season is. The over-riding consideration factor is staying within the allowable take limit, which is based on the forecasted runsize.
Posted by: Jaydee

Re: Will Sauk Open w/ Skagit - 02/23/18 12:42 PM

Refresh my memory, but the suiattle wasn't open ten years ago in he late winter/spring, was it?
Posted by: Todd

Re: Will Sauk Open w/ Skagit - 02/23/18 01:16 PM

No, it's been a much longer time than that since the Suiattle was open in the winter/spring.

Fish on...

Todd

Re: Will Sauk Open w/ Skagit - 02/23/18 04:29 PM

I have been fishing up there since the early 90's and even then I remember the Suiattle closing after Feb.
Posted by: Salmo g.

Re: Will Sauk Open w/ Skagit - 02/27/18 09:05 AM

Looking for a mid-March opener now. Better late than never?
Posted by: RUNnGUN

Re: Will Sauk Open w/ Skagit - 02/27/18 01:53 PM

Was curious on timing? I have heard it may be open only 14 days. That being the case, 14 days straight? 4-3 day weekends +? 7 days hear, 7 days there? March 1st is Thursday already.

Re: Will Sauk Open w/ Skagit - 02/27/18 02:33 PM

I'm sure they will have it open for April so people have to run out and buy a 2018 license.