Directions into Sunset Falls

Posted by: RPetzold

Directions into Sunset Falls - 07/22/01 02:23 AM

Does anyone know how to drive into or walk into Sunset Falls on the SF Sky??

Ive driven around in circles trying my best to figure it out. The closest I came was when I drove up the Mt. Index road, parked where it turns over to private property and walked down to the river but at the point I believe I was still a considerable distance from the falls.

Thanks in advance!!!
Posted by: salmontackler

Re: Directions into Sunset Falls - 07/22/01 03:01 AM

Turn right on the road just before the index bridge(the bridge at the forks). Follow that road for about a mile. The next set of falls is really cool, they are worth checking out.
Posted by: Stadle

Re: Directions into Sunset Falls - 07/23/01 01:14 PM

I could be wrong but if you stay on the main highway and continue past the forks bridge for a few miles you will come to an area on the river where there is considerable parking and paths down to the river. There is a very large pool there at the bottom and some large chutes with drops in them above the pool. Someone told me this was sunset falls. You can't miss it as you drive along highway 2.
Posted by: Dogfish

Re: Directions into Sunset Falls - 07/23/01 02:02 PM

Go to Mapquest.com and type in "index as your destination. You can then click on Index to center the map and zoom in from there. It will give you a pretty detailed map of the area. Took me about 5 minutes to get the deatil I needed. Andy
Posted by: Chuck

Re: Directions into Sunset Falls - 07/23/01 05:21 PM

I agree with stadle I allways thought that wide spot where there are people parked was Sunset falls. I have had some fun times up the south fork into Sept. with the fish they put above there.
Posted by: Predator Dawg

Re: Directions into Sunset Falls - 07/23/01 06:50 PM

Sunset Falls is about a mile past the turn off to Index as you head East.
Posted by: salmontackler

Re: Directions into Sunset Falls - 07/23/01 08:50 PM

Sunset falls is much bigger than "Eagle falls" that Stadle, Chuck and Saltine mentioned, if you have never seen Sunset falls or the falls above sunset(Canyon Falls I believe) they are worth seeing. But, you can not see them from Highway 2, you must drive the dirt road on the right before highway 2 bridge just before the Index turnoff. The road takes you through a community of houses and cabins, I beleive there are "private road" signs, but no one has ever bothered me about going up there. This is the same road that will take you to the trailhead for Lake Serene at the base of Mt. Index.

[ 07-23-2001: Message edited by: salmontackler ]
Posted by: svr

Re: Directions into Sunset Falls - 07/23/01 09:08 PM

You are right it is quite a site up there but can you fish it. I've heard the fishing can be really good but all the signs say private members only or guests. Do you fish and take your chances or what. confused
Posted by: Todd

Re: Directions into Sunset Falls - 07/23/01 09:20 PM

Howdy,

Ryan, Sunset Falls is the last waterfall, heading downstream, on the S.Fk.Sky. You must take the road before the forks bridge on the right. Before you hit the "Private" property and road, turn off, walk down to the river, and then walk up it.

The river is not private property, and there are some very nice, but challenging, holes along there.

Good Luck!

Todd
Wild Steelhead Coalition
Posted by: RPetzold

Re: Directions into Sunset Falls - 07/23/01 11:45 PM

Well this time I just ignored the "No Trespassing" Signs at the gate to the private community and drove on through. I parked about 200 yards downstream of Sunset Falls and fished my way down. I had many cars pass me as I was putting my gear away for the day and no one bothered me. smile
Posted by: svr

Re: Directions into Sunset Falls - 07/24/01 10:35 PM

Well How did you do?