Upper Skagit Drift

Posted by: Big Sven Larson

Upper Skagit Drift - 02/25/02 01:40 AM

Looking for info on upper Skagit drift. Went and looked at some boat ramps at Bacon creek, Marblemount and Rockport. Want to know what is the aprox. drift time. Can I put in at Bacon Creek
and take out at Rockport? or is that too far? Any tricky water? What are the most common drifts for upper Skagit. Any info will be helpfull
Posted by: Todd

Re: Upper Skagit Drift - 02/25/02 04:51 AM

I'd do Marblemount to Rockport. The put in is under the bridge on Cascade River Road, and the take out is at Howard Miller Steelhead Park.

It's about eight miles, so there's plenty of water to fish, and it's fairly easy water to read and fish.

Fish on...

Todd.
Posted by: Salmo g.

Re: Upper Skagit Drift - 02/25/02 10:57 AM

There is a boat launch a short distance upstream of Bacon Creek. You can float from there to Rockport, but plan on a long day, and don't tarry in one pool for long. There aren't many steelhead upstream of Marblemount before the end of the season, so most anglers drift from there to Rockport. Very good water to drift; no hazards for either section.

Sincerely,

Salmo g.
Posted by: rcl187

Re: Upper Skagit Drift - 02/25/02 11:06 AM

I kayacked from marblemount to woolley last june. I think it's to far. Very, very long day - especially with someone who thinks it's a good idea to bring their girlfriend who's never been on a river and just wanted to sit back and drift with the river.