N.Fk. Sky protection?

Posted by: Todd

N.Fk. Sky protection? - 05/30/02 12:54 PM

Today's Seattle Times is reporting that Sen. Murray and Rep. Larsen have proposed that 106,000 acres along the North Fork Skykomish River out of Index be designated as "wilderness". This designation is entitled to the highest public land protections.

This designation would close 30 miles of old logging roads, prevent new road construction, ban logging, and ban most motorized vehicles from leaving the roads. The area would be preserved primarily for hikers, x-country skiers, climbers, hunters, anglers and kayakers.

The biggest opposition would be presumed to be the Washington State Snowmobile Association, but they've already tentatively signed on to the deal, and even participated in drawing snowmobile boundaries that excluded a popular snowmobiling area near Windy Ridge.

The town of Index and its mayor are all for it, feeling that the majority of local business comes from recreational users, and this proposal would protect the area for such users.

Sounds pretty good so far! It got barely mentioned in the article, but there are several federally listed animals in the area, including chinook salmon, dolly varden/bull trout, marbled murrulets, bald eagles, and lynxes.

It's on page one of today's paper.

Fish on...

Todd.
Posted by: Beezer

Re: N.Fk. Sky protection? - 05/30/02 03:50 PM

Todd, I went to the news conference yesterday featuring Senator Murray and Congressman Larsen. I picked up a map that defines the area. The proposal is called the "Wild Skykomish Wilderness Proposal" and I think it will be on the ballot as H.R. 4884.

Beezer
Posted by: Todd

Re: N.Fk. Sky protection? - 05/30/02 05:56 PM

Thanks for the info, Gary.

Is SVTU going to make any "official" statements of support?

Fish on...

Todd.
Posted by: bank walker

Re: N.Fk. Sky protection? - 05/30/02 06:08 PM

Very cool! Thanks for the insight Todd. I know there was a big argument over old growth timber up there many years ago. Its one of the few rivers that run emerald green and clear all year, and thats the way it should be forever wink
Posted by: Beezer

Re: N.Fk. Sky protection? - 05/30/02 06:50 PM

Todd, the Sky Valley Chapter is in full support, especially since this area is in our back yard. The Washington Council of Trout Unlimited (our State Council) is also officially in support. Bill Robinson, our Executive Director, approached me a couple months ago concerning this and we've been trying to meet with the Wilderness Coalition in an effort to be involved in the process of the formation of the "Bill". We haven't done much yet other than support it but are willing to be involved.

Beezer