It's Over!

Posted by: Todd

It's Over! - 11/04/08 11:05 PM

Beer has now been replaced by Champagne.

Welcome aboard, President Obama!
Posted by: stlhead

Re: It's Over! - 11/04/08 11:07 PM

WOOO HOOOO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!111111
Posted by: Steelheadman

Re: It's Over! - 11/04/08 11:10 PM

applause
Posted by: Anonymous

Re: It's Over! - 11/04/08 11:10 PM

No matter how you voted......it's time to move on as Americans.

There's alot of work to do in this country.

Let's get to it.........
Posted by: Green Drifter

Re: It's Over! - 11/04/08 11:13 PM

AWESOME
Posted by: goharley

Re: It's Over! - 11/04/08 11:14 PM

I'm smellin' landslide.
Posted by: Salmonella

Re: It's Over! - 11/04/08 11:15 PM

The paraplegics will walk again, cancer will be cured, and we will all be wealthy beyond our wildest dreams.
Posted by: Dave Vedder

Re: It's Over! - 11/04/08 11:16 PM

Okay, now he has it. What's he gonna do with it?

With a big majority in both Hoause and senate and a clear mandate, this is his chance to do whaever he wants. Now we will see if hes a true leader.
Posted by: Neal M

Re: It's Over! - 11/04/08 11:24 PM

Mcain is doing a decent concession speach. fook yes! Obama will be a good president. He is a strong leader, at a time when we need one most. No doubt in my mind.
Neal
Posted by: goharley

Re: It's Over! - 11/04/08 11:32 PM

He was doing okay until he started talking about Palin. Geez. Best running mate in history???? I mean, c'mon.

Re: It's Over! - 11/04/08 11:36 PM

"The paraplegics will walk again, cancer will be cured, and we will all be wealthy beyond our wildest dreams."

Didn't happen in the last eight years but maybe now.

Cross over Bush voters....there's room for ALL on this side.
Posted by: Dan S.

Re: It's Over! - 11/04/08 11:37 PM

Best running mate in history if you're running to lose.
Posted by: Anonymous

Re: It's Over! - 11/04/08 11:42 PM

Still would have been the best "bush" in the White House.
Posted by: Dave Vedder

Re: It's Over! - 11/04/08 11:42 PM

I feel sorry for McCain. I think he is a true patriot. He lost a lot of my respect by sucking up to the wingnuts, but he is a genuine hero.

I wish him well. He would have been president had he not had to follow that dipshit Bush.

Re: It's Over! - 11/04/08 11:43 PM

It's time to eat the cavier that's sitting in my garage. No I need the eggs for bait and should roll the skeins up in borax soon.

No time to break out the good tequilla.

Re: It's Over! - 11/04/08 11:46 PM

Agree Dave. I never understood how Bush beat him in the primary. His final blow was listening to bad campaign advice.
Posted by: Coho

Re: It's Over! - 11/04/08 11:50 PM

puck has been dropped_GAME ON
Posted by: hohbomb73

Re: It's Over! - 11/04/08 11:51 PM

FREE ABU-LOOMIS

Re: It's Over! - 11/04/08 11:56 PM

If you don't think Palin cost him this election, then you don't think.

40% of Independants said they would not vote for McCain SOLELY because he picked Palin.

You're f'n clueless, bwp.

Re: It's Over! - 11/05/08 12:07 AM

Originally Posted By: Dan S.
If you don't think Palin cost him this election, then you don't think.

40% of Independants said they would not vote for McCain SOLELY because he picked Palin.

You're f'n clueless, bwp.

You don't suppose that everybody voted for Obama because he picked Joe Biden?
Posted by: The Moderator

Re: It's Over! - 11/05/08 12:22 AM

+1 Obama

thumbs

Go get 'em, POTUS! Make America proud!

thumbs

Re: It's Over! - 11/05/08 12:27 AM

Fukkodeer...I'm a bit drunk.

That was one of the best speeches I've ever heard...young Mr. Obama has studied a few President Clinton speeches, to be sure...he inspired the chit out of me tonight.

Sen. McSame's speech was pretty good, I think...leave out not only the references to how great Palin was (he was behind the 8 ball already, she ended it), and the fact that his great "American" supporters booed every time he said something nice about Obama (yeah, they're Americans)...he was gracious, Presidential, smart, conciliatory, and far reaching...I think he might actually be a fine ally of Obama's in the Senate.

Fish on...

Todd

P.S. Someone remind me to call the cleaners to get all the champagne off the furniture tomorrow...my bottle damn near exploded at 8:01pm tonight, and most of it went everywhere but in a glass smile
Posted by: JoJo

Re: It's Over! - 11/05/08 12:47 AM

Washington state Democratic chairman just made the comment that for the first time since 9/11 America is a great nation.

I thought it was a great nation all along.

Though I didn't vote for obama I sure will back my president and demand that he does good for the country.

Re: It's Over! - 11/05/08 12:49 AM

I think it was a great nation all along, too...that very fact is why things went the way they did tonight.

We've always been a great nation...even the last eight years...we're just going to go back to being even greater now.

Fish on...

Todd
Posted by: Krijack

Re: It's Over! - 11/05/08 01:22 AM

Two things that jump out at me while watching the coverage. One, the word mandate is being used. While he did when the electoral vote by a landslide, is it really a mandate when the popular vote is much closer. I guess I would think a true mandate would take a 60% or greater vote. The second thing that strikes me is that it is obvious that many liberals really thought a black man couldn't win. I, as a conservative, really had no doubt. I think Colin Powell would have one by a landslide if he had run as a republican. I can understand African-Americans being excited, but I really hope this election wasn't about race but about a good candidate. Tonight race was focused on as much or more than anything. I understand its historic, but at the same time feel it should be proof that the issue is more moot than anything, not more important.
The best or worse, I truely believe he has the potential for both.
Posted by: nookie dreamin'

Re: It's Over! - 11/05/08 01:49 AM

Originally Posted By: Big_Daddy
No matter how you voted......it's time to move on as Americans.

There's alot of work to do in this country.

Let's get to it.........

Now lets quote a line from Spaceballs..."Lonestar.. I see your Schwartrz is as big as mine..Now lets see how well you handle it"...Is he about endurance or is he about just getting his rocks off????? I sincerely hope that he is as good a statesman as he is an orator.Only time will tell.

Re: It's Over! - 11/05/08 01:49 AM

You guys didn't drink enough. rofl

Re: It's Over! - 11/05/08 01:58 AM

You ran out?!?

What the hell kind of planning was that? rofl

I stocked up bigtime. I KNEW my guy was going to get trounced, so I wanted to get real sauced-up to watch the drama.

If I was an Obama voter, I'd redistribute some your way..............but I'm a Ron Paul guy, so I'll just go ahead and keep it for myself. grin

It's not too late to run to the store.............is it?
Posted by: Irie

Re: It's Over! - 11/05/08 03:01 AM

Olympia was a dancing in the streets tonight.
Intersections were blocked off by the OPD, every tavern had a line out the door.
I have never seen anything like it, ever.
Not New Years, not Fourth of July.
V-J day minus the fvcking in the streets.

Re: It's Over! - 11/05/08 03:26 AM

Same in Seattle tonight...I just got home smile
Posted by: Bucket/Good Sport

Re: It's Over! - 11/05/08 10:59 AM

Originally Posted By: stam
Originally Posted By: Big_Daddy
Still would have been the best "bush" in the White House.

Kona Cone in the corner of the Oval office would be the best bush.

I 'spect with her recent makeover they went south of the border for a bit of cleanup anyway...maybe a pictorial in Playboy is in her future. thumbs

Stam--quite worrin about the bush in the White House-----get that bondo spread, we got things ta do!
Posted by: NOFISH

Re: It's Over! - 11/05/08 11:08 AM

roflroflroflrofl

You guys haven't left yet?
Posted by: Bucket/Good Sport

Re: It's Over! - 11/05/08 11:26 AM

NO---Stam had work ta do today, some excuse about 2 employees walkin out the door pukin.
Posted by: chasbo

Re: It's Over! - 11/05/08 11:26 AM

now we know what $600,000,000 can buy.
Posted by: The Moderator

Re: It's Over! - 11/05/08 12:59 PM

Originally Posted By: ChuckS
I ran out

Hey, didn't you tell me that you had a case of The Abyss.....

Run out????

One can't drink more than a bottle of the stuff per night, let alone attempt to drink a case in that short order.

I'm not buying that excuse!

How's the hangover this am? wink
Posted by: Irie

Re: It's Over! - 11/05/08 01:10 PM

Originally Posted By: parker
Originally Posted By: ChuckS
I ran out
How's the hangover this am? wink

Evil.

Totally Evil.
Posted by: Salmo g.

Re: It's Over! - 11/05/08 01:19 PM

I drank a bit too much last night. Didn't feel so hot as I went to bed. Felt good about the election, but not so good in my stomach. Note to self: chicken goes well with one bottle of chardenay, but don't try to polish off two!

I thought McCain's concession speech was outstanding work (well all except the props to Palin, but hey, he was supposed to say nice things in a concession speech) and really well delivered. I found myself thinking that if he campaigned talking like that, he would have pursuaded a lot more votes, despite the Bush turds that shackled his campaign.

Obama ran an outstanding campaign, and gave an inspirational victory speech, but really, he should have thanked the Bush administration for ensuring the ultimate success of his election. I thought the Dems were taking a risky path with their two frontrunners being a female and a black in what was highly likely to be a very close election. Small but significant demographics who just won't vote for a female or a black make an important difference if the election is going to be close. Only the misery that is Bushco could tip an otherwise close balance. Just this once, I thank George Bush and his miserable administration for giving us Obama as our next president.

Sg
Posted by: Sara Palin

Re: It's Over! - 11/05/08 01:24 PM

Just got off the phone with Larry Flynt, no Playboy for this Mav'rick.
Posted by: Sky-Guy

Re: It's Over! - 11/05/08 01:29 PM

Hey Nice to see you Sarah, I never thought you would join this board! ....you must have a little extra time on your hands today rofl
Posted by: seastrike

Re: It's Over! - 11/05/08 01:32 PM

Has anyone seen the clips from the Hustler/Palin movie? Pretty good.
Posted by: Sara Palin

Re: It's Over! - 11/05/08 01:34 PM

What, they don't serve meals on flights to Wasilla?
Posted by: Sol

Re: It's Over! - 11/05/08 02:21 PM

Got a link?

Re: It's Over! - 11/05/08 02:24 PM

I'll work on it. Watched it yesterday. All I saw were three 30 second clips. Pretty good.

Re: It's Over! - 11/05/08 02:37 PM

Just google up Hustler Sarah Palin. It's not the clips I saw yesterday but it's there.
Posted by: Jerry Garcia

Re: It's Over! - 11/05/08 03:12 PM

Originally Posted By: seastrike
I'll work on it. Watched it yesterday. All I saw were three 30 second clips. Pretty good.

A minute and a half and Dave is done.
Posted by: John Lee Hookum

Re: It's Over! - 11/05/08 03:23 PM

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/andrew-gumbel/america-2008-or-berlin-19_b_141363.html

A truly remarkable thing happened in Washington last night, as the world finished watching Barack Obama deliver his victory speech in Chicago and hundreds of election-watch parties being held by Democrats in raucous bars and shi-shi hotel ballrooms across the capital broke up after hours of non-stop whooping and cheering.

Someone, or more likely several someones, made a decision to march on the White House. And seemingly the rest of the city followed on behind.

They streamed down the hill from Adams Morgan, down 16th St and along Pennsylvania Avenue to converge on the edge of Lafayette Park. They sang songs, beat on drums, waved life-size cardboard replicas of Obama, hugged, kissed, high-fived and alternated chants of "Yes we can!" with "No more Bush!" For blocks around, cars lined up along the improbably jammed downtown streets echoed the rhythm of those chants with volley after volley of three short toots of their horns.

This wasn't an organized celebration like the gathering in Chicago's Grant Park. It didn't involve buses and organizers and legal protection volunteers, like the vast protests against the World Trade Organization in Seattle nine years ago, or the mass demonstrations on the eve of the Iraq war. It was something altogether more unusual in American public life: a spontaneous political gathering of thousands of ecstatic, peaceful revellers who decided to make their feelings known before the most powerful political office on the planet. It was a celebration, for sure, but it was also some kind of deeper statement: that the people had been living under some sort of perversion of democracy for a long time but now felt emboldened to claim it back for themselves.

The disaster of the last eight years under Bush, as well as the overwhelming partisan preference of the District's residents (Obama got 92 per cent of the vote here), certainly did a lot to fuel that sentiment. But it also went a lot deeper than that. For too long, politics in this country -- both Republican and Democrat -- has been seen as something intangible and inaccessible to ordinary people and their everyday concerns. Now, with a black man pulling off the astonishing feat of rising to the presidency in a land riven by racism for more than two centuries, there was a sense of extraordinary release, and even more extraordinary empowerment. For one night at least, we could fantasize that the White House was the people's house, after all.

The moment couldn't help but remind me of the extraordinary outpourings of "people power" that toppled the Communist governments of eastern Europe in 1989, or of the hugely inventive, almost poetic mass demonstrations in Serbia in the mid-1990s against the despotic rule of Slobodan Milosevic. "We are the people," they chanted in Leipzig and Berlin in those heady days. A very similar sentiment abounded last night in the usually staid confines of downtown Washington.

Many, many Obama supporters kept saying how relieved they felt, as if a great burden had been lifted. The African Americans were the most exuberant (of course). Nobody, black or white, young or old, could quite believe what was happening. Even the Secret Service and the DC cops keeping an eye from a discreet distance said they had seen nothing like it.

This is what democracy at its best looks like. This is how people come to have hope in the future again. Now, of course, it's up to the new administration to deliver -- an altogether trickier proposition.

Re: It's Over! - 11/05/08 03:32 PM

Jerry.

Re: It's Over! - 11/05/08 05:09 PM

Hey it's been a few months.
Posted by: Jerry Garcia

Re: It's Over! - 11/05/08 05:48 PM

Dave