Let me see if I got this rght

Posted by: Vic

Let me see if I got this rght - 02/10/09 01:44 AM

Should Marijuana Laws In Washington be More Lenient

Q13 FOX News Online Staff

February 10, 2009

The Washington Senate Judiciary Committee will hold a hearing Tuesday morning on Senate Bill 5615, a bill that would reclassify possession of small amounts of marijuana from a misdemeanor, carrying mandatory jail time, to a civil infraction and a $100 dollar fine.

According to the Washington A.C.L.U., In 2007, enforcement of Washington laws for possession of marijuana resulted in over 11,000 arrests, 3,600 convictions (with an average sentence of four days in jail), and cost an estimated $7.5 million dollars.

The A.C.L.U. says it supports Senate Bill 5615 sponsored by Senator Jeanne Kohl-Welles.

Alison Holcomb with the A.C.L.U. says: "We don't believe adults who use small quantities of marijuana for personal use should be treated as criminals."

Some Washington police officials see it differently.

Burien Police Chief Scott Kimerer says he fears, if passed, this could open the door to further legalization and he says he doesn't want to make the drug more attractive than it may already be.

He goes on to says; "People might have a tendency to say well it's not going to be a criminal offense. It's not going to affect my job... It's not going to affect anything else involving what a criminal matter would and so why don't I try it... And I don't want to do that."

The Senate hearing starts Tuesday morning at 10am in Senate Hearing Room 1 of the J.A. Cherberg Building at the State Capitol.

So they are thinking that not wearing your seat-belt is bigger deal than possessing a controlled substance? Not that I have a problem with pot smokers, but I am not sure I agree with that one.
Posted by: Dogfish

Re: Let me see if I got this rght - 02/10/09 02:34 AM

No issues with legalizing it entirely.

MJ laws go way back and were instituted in a racially motivated way. Pretty scary when you actually read up on it. Control it, tax it, heck sell it in liquor stores. Seriously, more damage is done by alcohol than pot every year.

In my limited experience in law enforcement, I never ran into any death, accident, fight, etc, that was MJ related. Alcohol was a completly different issue altogether.
Posted by: Dogfish

Re: Let me see if I got this rght - 02/10/09 02:46 AM

Okay, other than a slap fight....
Posted by: Satan

Re: Let me see if I got this rght - 02/10/09 02:47 AM

Originally Posted By: Dogfish

MJ laws go way back and were instituted in a racially motivated way.

Let's leave M J out of this one.

Posted by: fish4brains

Re: Let me see if I got this rght - 02/10/09 07:20 AM

Originally Posted By: Dogfish

Control it, tax it, heck sell it in liquor stores. Seriously, more damage is done by alcohol than pot every year.

+1
Posted by: litlcleo

Re: Let me see if I got this rght - 02/10/09 09:09 AM

Quit smoking weed when Fairbanks caught me out on the Hoh.One day in jail and 700 dollars later I was done saying I am sorry.

Re: Let me see if I got this rght - 02/10/09 09:41 AM

As I said, I really don't have a problem with pot smokers,,, but I think it is stupid that the fine for a seatbelt violation is more than the proposed fine for possession of a controlled substance. Guess it is all about economics and the states willingness to screw the common person.
Posted by: dewbie

Re: Let me see if I got this rght - 02/10/09 10:44 AM

i like to smoke pot while not wearing my seat belt
Posted by: chasbo

Re: Let me see if I got this rght - 02/10/09 11:07 AM

i like to smoke pot while not wearing my seat belt, with a open cold one and talking on my cell.

Re: Let me see if I got this rght - 02/10/09 11:08 AM

Originally Posted By: chasbo
i like to smoke pot while not wearing my seat belt, with a open cold one and talking on my cell.

now your talkin!!
Posted by: Todd

Re: Let me see if I got this rght - 02/10/09 11:43 AM

Don't forget the hummer yer gettin' at the same time...you'll have to hold the pinner and beer in the same hand, not a problem.

Fish on...

Todd

Re: Let me see if I got this rght - 02/10/09 12:25 PM

Originally Posted By: AuntyM

And unless pot smokers LIVE with you, they pose no danger to YOUR refrigerator.

or if you are friends with them and they want to eat your cheese its
Posted by: Sol Duc

Re: Let me see if I got this rght - 02/10/09 12:43 PM

Originally Posted By: Todd

Don't forget the hummer yer gettin' at the same time...you'll have to hold the pinner and beer in the same hand, not a problem.

Fish on...

Todd

Road head...more dangerous than all intox's combine...those were the days lol
Posted by: Salmo g.

Re: Let me see if I got this rght - 02/10/09 01:08 PM

Not wearing your seat belt is far more dangerous than smoking pot, unless you're talking about smoking pot while driving. A lot of people have a bad case of mind f^vk about pot. No one ever died from smoking pot, but they can do serious jail time for it. People die every day from using tobacco and alcohol, and it's perfectly legal. Talk about a screwed up legal system.

Burien Police Chief Scott Kimerer is a perfect example of a f^vked up mind when it comes to pot, or maybe pot enforcement is a big part of his police budget and he cares more about the $ than he does about serving society.

Want to make 50% of all drug problems go away? Legalize pot. Legalize it completely. Don't tax it. Don't regulate it. Prices will decline. Use will go up somewhat. And the economy will benefit from the run on dry Cheerios, Fritos, and now Cheez its.

Sg

Re: Let me see if I got this rght - 02/10/09 01:16 PM

Originally Posted By: Salmo g.
Not wearing your seat belt is far more dangerous than smoking pot, unless you're talking about smoking pot while driving. A lot of people have a bad case of mind f^vk about pot. No one ever died from smoking pot, but they can do serious jail time for it. People die every day from using tobacco and alcohol, and it's perfectly legal. Talk about a screwed up legal system.

Sg

So,,, pot doesn't cause or contribute to lung cancer the same as tobacco?

I have no problem with them making this a non jailable offense. I think the fine should be a lot more than a seatbelt ticket.

Re: Let me see if I got this rght - 02/10/09 01:19 PM

i am really craving some cheese its right now. i was told weed doesnt contain carcinogenics. of course that came from my grower, so who knows...

Re: Let me see if I got this rght - 02/10/09 01:19 PM

Most pot smokers don't inhale nearly so much smoke at tobacco smokers, and as far as studied pot doesn't cause lung cancer; no nicotine either.

Why should pot use be fined at all, let alone more than not using a selt belt? Altho personally I don't believe in the seat belt fine either. I believe in seat belts, but not the law fining people for non use.

Sg
Posted by: Illahee

Re: Let me see if I got this rght - 02/10/09 01:23 PM

Legalize pot? I don't think so, can you imagine what this country would look like after being ravaged by millions of hunger crazed food addicts?

Re: Let me see if I got this rght - 02/10/09 01:28 PM

Originally Posted By: freespool
Legalize pot? I don't think so, can you imagine what this country would look like after being ravaged by millions of hunger crazed food addicts?

not everyone gets the munchies, especially if they have been smoking for a while....the world would be a much happier place i think.

Re: Let me see if I got this rght - 02/10/09 01:39 PM

I seem to remember reading somewhere that there are several of the same carsinogenic chemicals in pot smoke that there are in tobacco smoke. Not to mention several that aren't in tobacco. I know poeple who smoke pot several times a day. I don't see how tobacco could be more evil than pot to a person like that.

Salmo, fundamentaly I agree with you. I am against any law (with in reason) that limits my freedom. I think the part that really chapps my hide is all the effort this state puts into the whole "click it or ticket" fundraisers. As I said before the pot thing really doesn't bother me that much. But sending officers out to look in my car to see that I am strapped in, is in my opinion an invasion of my privacy.
Posted by: Dan S.

Re: Let me see if I got this rght - 02/10/09 02:00 PM

While weed contains more known carcinogens than tobacco, the volume smoked is far less. No medical studies have shown a great risk from smoking weed........other than the latest study which seemed to show an increased incidence of testicular cancer from smoking weed. That study has not, however, been peer-reviewed to any extent.

And if the health concerns are a reason for the illegality of weed, then certainly tobacco and alcohol should also be illegal.

It's this inconsistency that bugs me the most. The government shouldn't pretend to be interested in people's health when killers like tobacco and alcohol are legal. It just doesn't wash.

The seat belt law was put in effect because those who don't buckle up cost the government big money in hospitalization costs. People routinely suffer terrible injuries in wrecks they'd have walked away from had they been wearing their seat belts. IMO, anyone should be able to be exempt from the seat belt law if they sign a waiver/release that says the government shall not be obligated to pay for any health/hospitalization costs due to their failure to wear a belt. You know as well as I do that they're not going to let people lay in the street and bleed, so that's probably not a realistic solution.

Munchies could be considered part of the 'economic stimulus' program. Munchies cost money, and the money spent on Twinkies and Cheese Its keep people working. smile
Posted by: fish4brains

Re: Let me see if I got this rght - 02/10/09 02:08 PM

It's real easy. Don't want to wear your seatbelt.....then don't. Just make sure you aren't speeding.
Posted by: Rocket Red

Re: Let me see if I got this rght - 02/10/09 03:28 PM

I never wear my seatbelt or a life jacket thats like betting against my skills. And I got mad skills.

Re: Let me see if I got this rght - 02/10/09 03:37 PM

Society needs to develop the wherewithal to let people bleed out if they choose not to wear their seat belts. Natural and logical consequences are the number one best teacher of all time, and no government will ever improve on that record no matter how much money it pisses down the drain trying.

While there are some risks associated with pot smoking, I think they're far more acceptable than the health problems of smoking tobacco, but I'm biased. I know alcohol is poison too, but my body processes almost an ounce per hour, so I should be OK with a half bottle of wine at dinner for as long as I choose to do so. The biggest risk of pot smoking is the god damn law and the puritans who would send someone to jail for it.

Sg
Posted by: Mikespike

Re: Let me see if I got this rght - 02/10/09 03:59 PM

Originally Posted By: Vic
So,,, pot doesn't cause or contribute to lung cancer the same as tobacco?

All prior studies are confounded because tobacco smokers that smoked marijuana were used for the tests!

I don't know about the study Dan S is speaking of, but I would never put a lit object that close to my nads or leather donut hole rofl rofl rofl
Posted by: Illahee

Re: Let me see if I got this rght - 02/10/09 04:09 PM

Originally Posted By: Vic
I seem to remember reading somewhere that there are several of the same carsinogenic chemicals in pot smoke that there are in tobacco smoke. Not to mention several that aren't in tobacco. I know poeple who smoke pot several times a day. I don't see how tobacco could be more evil than pot to a person like that.

Salmo, fundamentaly I agree with you. I am against any law (with in reason) that limits my freedom. I think the part that really chapps my hide is all the effort this state puts into the whole "click it or ticket" fundraisers. As I said before the pot thing really doesn't bother me that much. But sending officers out to look in my car to see that I am strapped in, is in my opinion an invasion of my privacy.

You can eliminate the carcinogenic element of pot by simply switching to a vaporizer.
Posted by: Krijack

Re: Let me see if I got this rght - 02/10/09 04:10 PM

Wrong fishforbrains, it is no longer a secondary offense. I got a seat belt violation about a year ago sitting a stop sign on a secondary road. Motorcycle cop turned on to the road, saw I wasn't wearing it and I was suddenly 100+ dollars poorer. I know in Eatonville the cops were writing up anyone they saw. I guess they got an award of some sort if they hit a certian number, which they did. Strange, I also had to wait 6 hours to get a form to fill out for a burglary. Less than a 1/2 mile away I got a $120.00 ticket for supposedly rolling through a stop sign. I think Aunty M is right. The end result of this will be to reduce it to an infraction, then they can try to get ticket money with no jail time. Perfect solution for a money hungry government.
Posted by: Mikespike

Re: Let me see if I got this rght - 02/10/09 04:27 PM

Aunty-

At least one of you two was high! wink
Posted by: Keta

Re: Let me see if I got this rght - 02/10/09 07:51 PM

http://www.sciencedaily.com/releases/2007/04/070417193338.htm
Posted by: RowVsWade

Re: Let me see if I got this rght - 02/10/09 08:35 PM

Originally Posted By: AuntyM
Do men have to get their testicles crushed when they get a mannogram?

Something tells me no.

Pigs.

moose

Turning your "head" and coughing is worse....especially when an old man has you by your nads.

Besides I give mammograms without any discomfort to the victi...uh I mean patient.
Posted by: Dan S.

Re: Let me see if I got this rght - 02/10/09 08:49 PM

Originally Posted By: RvW
without any discomfort to the victi...uh I mean patient.

rofl

Re: Let me see if I got this rght - 02/11/09 03:24 PM

All this medical stuff . . . I know a guy who claims on his business card to be an oral gynecologist, first visit free.
Posted by: BERG

Re: Let me see if I got this rght - 02/11/09 05:45 PM

Can you post his info up? My great, great aunt is in the market for a new gyno.
Posted by: RowVsWade

Re: Let me see if I got this rght - 02/11/09 06:06 PM

Originally Posted By: BERG

Is she hot?

Re: Let me see if I got this rght - 02/11/09 06:09 PM

Originally Posted By: RowVsWade
Originally Posted By: BERG

Is she hot?

rofl
Posted by: Krijack

Re: Let me see if I got this rght - 02/13/09 12:11 PM

Aunty M,
A freind of mine is a smaller guy(maybe 5'6" and a 140lbs), and as a result always is seems to be hit on by gay guys. About 10years ago, when he was in his mid-twenties, he had to go in for a physical. He was telling me about how the doctor gave him a prostate exam. The worst part of it was, as he was digging in his fingers, he raised his voice to a femine tone and told "your tensing, just relaxxxxxth." He was even happier when I told him most people don't get their first test till the at least 40 and usually even later than that.