Yum.

Posted by: Todd

Yum. - 12/02/11 06:50 PM

The U.S. lifts the ban on horse slaughter for human consumption.

Yummy.

Not.

http://www.thestar.com/news/article/1095751

Fish on...

Todd
Posted by: Direct-Drive

Re: Yum. - 12/02/11 06:59 PM

The dog lobby just ramped up.
Posted by: ParaLeaks

Re: Yum. - 12/02/11 07:00 PM

Never tasted it. See no reason why not.
Posted by: Dave Vedder

Re: Yum. - 12/02/11 07:13 PM

I have had it in a gourmet resturant in Montreal, where it is commmonly served. It was yummy. They sold it at the Pike Place market up through the 60s
Posted by: JTD

Re: Yum. - 12/02/11 07:17 PM

I had a buddy the had to put one down and didnt know what to do with the carcass so he turned it all into summer sausage.

I can attest that horse is not food.
Posted by: Coho

Re: Yum. - 12/02/11 07:22 PM

Horsederves
Posted by: Illyrian

Re: Yum. - 12/02/11 07:26 PM

Humans have been eating horses since before recorded history.
Hell it's meat. Souix Stew or pup is a common food too. None of em
appeal to me but that's just programming.
Posted by: Todd

Re: Yum. - 12/02/11 07:47 PM

Horses have been edible livestock for damn near forever...no doubt...but so have dogs and cats, and I have no desire to eat any of them, either wink

Fish on...

Todd
Posted by: Illahee

Re: Yum. - 12/02/11 07:55 PM

In the Philippine Islands, dog is on the menu.
Many a drunken fleet sailor, enjoyed tasty chunks of marinated dog meat barbecued on a stick.
We called it dog on a log.
Monkey was also delicious, when marinaded and cooked over a charcoal grill.
Posted by: Direct-Drive

Re: Yum. - 12/02/11 08:01 PM

Originally Posted By: freespool
In the Philippine Islands, dog is on the menu.
Many a drunken fleet sailor, enjoyed tasty chunks of marinated dog meat barbecued on a stick.
We called it dog on a log.
Monkey was also delicious, when marinaded and cooked over a charcoal grill.

I'd prefer a simple, "G.I. you want puck ?"
Posted by: Dub

Re: Yum. - 12/02/11 08:25 PM

Meats meat.

No one wants to eat the pretty animals.
Posted by: Illyrian

Re: Yum. - 12/02/11 09:20 PM

Best food in the Phillipines was the Abalone with greens you could
get in Olongapo for next to nothing spendable. Lordy that was good
stuff.
Posted by: FleaFlickr02

Re: Yum. - 12/02/11 11:43 PM

Haven't eaten horse, but I would sooner eat that than cow and pig guts if it came down to it. I like to eat just about everything, but guts are something I have never tolerated well. The only exceptions I can think of to that rule are quality foie gras (which tastes mostly like all the yummy stuff that goes in it) and sweetbreads. While most agree that French cuisine is among the world's finest, few understand the reasons why the French learned to make such rich, delicious sauces, which was that they often didn't have quality meat available and had to turn to lesser meats, rotting meats, and guts, all of which needed something exceptionally delicious to mask the foul flavors of the proteins. Being a spoiled American and a product of Baby Boomer parents, I have come to refer to such foods as "depression food." If history is any indication, such culinary catastrophes as liver and onions may be making a comeback in this country soon.

I hate to throw more doom and gloom out there for everyone, but I think the reason the FDA is "expanding their horizons" a bit these days is that they see a shortage of premium meats, especially beef, coming our way. While a lot of areas farm cattle, a huge percentage of the beef that gets consumed in the US comes from the Southwest, and Texas in particular. For those who don't know, the Southwest is experiencing near catastrophic droughts. With La Nina dominating the forecast models, it appears no relief is immeidately within sight, which means that much of the Southwest is in grave danger of becoming unsuitable for all but the desert-dwelling species. For a little perspective, consider that farmers in Texas are now purchasing hay from places as distant as Michigan to supplement their all but exhausted reserves. Meanwhile, small time cattle farmers are selling off their stock for pennies on the dollar, or else simply letting them perish, as they are struggling to afford feed, and wells are drying up.

As Economics 101 taught us, reduced supply, coupled with stable or increasing demand, leads to dramatic price increases. As more and more folks get priced out of the beef market, they will turn to other species, which will, in turn, follow suit in becoming prohibitively expensive. Before long, Mr. Ed may seem like a delicacy, considering the other options available.

Pass the peas, Willlburrr.