Educational

Posted by: Illyrian

Educational - 01/31/13 10:26 PM

Tale of Two Cities

It isn't often that you get reading suggestions from a United States senator, but that's what happened this past weekend for those who attended the National Review Institute's summit meeting in Washington, D.C.

The three-day conclave, part election post-mortem and part revival meeting (that is, reviving conservatism and America), featured a bracing dose of conservative intellectuals along with activists, campaign professionals and office holders. Newly minted Senator Ted Cruz of Texas spoke in his characteristic fashion — fluidly without notes or podium.

Cruz, while praising Mitt Romney in general and acknowledging that anyone can have a slip of the tongue, zeroed in on the 47 percent gaffe. It is precisely to those who are striving for something better, Cruz argued, those who are poor or unemployed, to whom Republicans should aim their message of opportunity and growth. They are the ones who stand to benefit most from policies that promote growth.

I was sitting near Mario Loyola of the Texas Public Policy Foundation as the senator spoke, so I caught Loyola's surprised expression when the senator quoted him. We should reflect, the senator suggested, on an article Loyola wrote for National Review in 2011. It's a tale of two cities — Houston and Detroit — symbols of two radically different governing philosophies.

Both cities were once dominated by one industry — autos in Detroit, oil in Houston. Both grew robustly during the Second World War, but the cities responded very differently to setbacks in the years that followed. Detroit and Michigan attempted to favor and coddle their big industry and the big unions associated with it. Houston went for competition.

Both cities (and most of the country) had histories of racial strife. Detroit unfortunately elected a leader in 1973, Mayor Coleman Young, who stoked racial animosity rather than attempting to unify the city. This accelerated the white flight (and capital flight) that had begun after the 1967 riots.

When the auto industry faced global competition starting in the 1970s, Michigan and big auto sought protection from Japanese imports. President Reagan extracted "voluntary" quotas from Japanese carmakers. The big three were thus shielded from the consequences of their own bad labor and management decisions. This permitted them to stagnate. They failed to adjust to market pressures and have continued to collect government bailouts to the present.

Michigan and Detroit used "targeted" tax credits and other incentives to lure jobs to their region — more than $3.3 billion over 15 years. The government has often intervened to help favored industries — condemning, for example, 1,300 houses, 140 businesses, 6 churches and a hospital to make way for a General Motors plant in the early 1980s. City and state taxes are high, and strikes have damaged the school system.

Between 1900 and 1930, Detroit was the fastest growing city in the world. Today, many of its buildings are abandoned. The illegitimacy rate is 80 percent. Half the city's population is functionally illiterate. During the recent recession, the unemployment rate reached 30 percent. Detroit is one of the most dangerous cities in America.

Houston roared to life as the oil capital of America. But because oil was extracted by hundreds of independent operators, the industry never consolidated as the auto industry had. Producers competed with one another, and with the world, rather than colluding to get protection and special breaks from the state.

Houston fell on hard times in the mid-1980s when oil prices suddenly declined. Rather than intervene to protect the ailing industry, government did nothing. Layoffs were massive and painful. Unemployment shot up to 9.3 percent. But within a couple of years, employment snapped back. Whereas before the shock, oil had represented 80 percent of Houston's economy, it dropped to 50 percent after. Left to its own devices, the economy diversified, expanding to include computer makers, airlines, retailers, utilities, food and grocery companies and medical centers. They were lured not by special tax incentives or breaks from the government but by a low tax environment, cost-conscious environmental regulation, right to work laws, and tort reform.

During the first Obama term, fully half of all the jobs created in America were created in Texas.

Senator Cruz mused that if government had been as intrusive in the early 20th century as it is now, the automobile itself would have been delayed. "We would have been subsidizing all the buggy makers." When Democrats say they have the answers, he advises to remember Detroit.

Mona Charon
Posted by: blackmouth

Re: Educational - 01/31/13 11:58 PM

I doubt that many on this board have the attention span that would be necessary to read and comprehend that short essay. Hopefully some will, because it was quite good.

I'll go to my grave wondering how some intelligent people, when presented with a set of facts cannot come to a logical conclusion, but alas, it is the way of the left.

VIVA CAPITALISTA

Posted by: Todd

Re: Educational - 02/01/13 12:17 AM

@blackmouth...

LOL!

Not surprised that you, along with Hankster and Illy, as members of the non-reality based contingent would feel that way.

Not surprised, but constantly amused.

Fish on...

Todd
Posted by: Sol Duc

Re: Educational - 02/01/13 01:02 AM

Ted Cruz is a impressive guy. thumbs

Re: Educational - 02/01/13 01:26 AM

It is at my pleasure that I choose to amuse you.

Re: Educational - 02/01/13 01:27 AM

Originally Posted By: blackmouth
It is at my pleasure that I choose to amuse you.

Oh, no...the pleasure is all mine. I promise.

wink

Fish on...

Todd

Re: Educational - 02/01/13 01:35 AM

I am also feeling quite pleasured, thankee sir.
I'd be wilin to bump a glass wih you anytime, Sir.

beer
Posted by: Dogfish

Re: Educational - 02/01/13 09:16 AM

Comparing autos to oil doesn't really do it for me. Two entirely different industries, and while they are complimentary to each other, the choices surrounding the consumer's buying decision for each product also differ greatly.

I can buy a used car, but I can't really buy used gasoline.
Posted by: Dan S.

Re: Educational - 02/01/13 11:25 AM

Gee Andy.................why do you insist on thinking like that?

Re: Educational - 02/01/13 11:54 AM

Originally Posted By: blackmouth
I am also feeling quite pleasured, thankee sir.
I'd be wilin to bump a glass wih you anytime, Sir.

beer

+1

Fish on...

Todd

Re: Educational - 02/01/13 12:33 PM

applause
It is truly amazing how concise and unambiguous Todd's posts
become when impacted by irrefutable fact.

An echo: Viva Capitalism
I wonder, is there any correlation in the governmant's funding
of the Car and the Oil industry.

Carbon dioxide is not wasted, the plants use it to make Oxygen and energy when the sun don't shine. And when the sun does shine;
Photosynthesis, if you don't mind 5 syllables.

Re: Educational - 02/01/13 12:44 PM

148 rofl
Posted by: AP a.k.a. Kaiser D

Re: Educational - 02/01/13 12:59 PM

I believe he prefers MR. 148.

Re: Educational - 02/01/13 01:12 PM

Originally Posted By: Dan S.
Gee Andy.................why do you insist on thinking like that?

It must be the economist in me, and apparently I hate 'merica.

Re: Educational - 02/01/13 01:13 PM

lol

Re: Educational - 02/01/13 01:20 PM

Illy, like most RWWJ's, when faced with the reality that his "facts" and "logic" are neither facts, nor logical, does the smart thing...

Repeats them, only louder.

Fish on...

Todd
Posted by: FleaFlickr02

Re: Educational - 02/01/13 02:24 PM

I agree with Dogfish. Were it not for the apples to oranges nature of any honest comparison between the auto industry and the petroleum industry, the argument posed would be very compelling. As it stands, it flies in the face of reality.

Adding on to Dogfish's point: does anyone out there really think about what brand of gasoline they buy? I know I don't. It's a chemical compound, with a very standard recipe. Concepts such as "winter blends" are no more than tools to justify price-gouging throughout the rest of the year. I submit that most of us, when we do bother to make decisions about where we buy gas, do so on a basis of price, or perhaps depending on ethanol content (which is not a brand-specific distinction). Because such factors are relatively consistent across the entire market, there is no resl, market-driven competition in the petroleum industry. Big Oil is an oligopoly, and possibly the most villainous one in the entire world, let alone the US. (Sorry; I can't resist an opportunity to demonize Big Oil.)

When we buy a car, on the other hand, we tend to be much more selective, due in no small part to the fact that there are so many variations in design, function, and quality, many of which are brand-specific. There is also much greater variance in price across the market. That variance was not the only factor in Detroit's fall from grace, but it played a huge role. I know that my general preference for Japanese autos has been based on cost, not only at the dealership, but also in terms of maintenance and fuel. I'd love to have a nice, big, 'Merican-made 4x4 as much as anyone, but it simply doesn't pencil out for me, so my fishing rig (and commuter) is a stripped-down Toyota Tacoma, powered by only two wheels and a wimpy, 4-cylinder engine. By the way, to Dogfish's point, I purchased it "lightly used," but I have only been able to find "new" gas to put in it.

All this aside, this Cruz fellow seems well-spoken and intelligent, so I kind of like him so far. Hey - if I gotta get screwed over, it might as well be by somebody that doesn't come off as a moron. Being abused by Congress is hard enough without the realization that most of them are idiots. I wish him well (until he pisses me off).

Re: Educational - 02/01/13 02:31 PM

Cue the wingnuts to tell us even more emphatically why buying gasoline and buying a car made in Detroit are exactly the same, and why it's Obama's fault...

Perhaps while they are at it they will blame Obama for the failure of the BetaMax, and if the gubmint had just left the BetaMax alone like they did with the precise nature of sliced bread that the BetaMax would still be around.

Fish on...

Todd

Re: Educational - 02/01/13 02:39 PM

Originally Posted By: Todd

Perhaps while they are at it they will blame Obama for the failure of the BetaMax, and if the gubmint had just left the BetaMax alone like they did with the precise nature of sliced bread that the BetaMax would still be around.

rofl Betamax reference=automatic WIN!!!!

Re: Educational - 02/01/13 02:42 PM

Originally Posted By: Hankster
Lost in all of the rants is the fact Houston's economy went from 80% oil dependent to 50%. Why do you think that happened?

I'm going to go out on a limb here...I mean, I'm not an economist or anything...but I'm going to guess that, in Houston, 30% of their local economy went into something other than the oil industry...and that out of the thousands of oil-dependent companies in the Houston area some closed, some downsized, and some consolidated.

Oh, that...and it's Obama's fault.

Fish on...

Todd

Re: Educational - 02/01/13 02:47 PM

Comparing Houston and Detroit is silly.

Fish on...

Todd

Re: Educational - 02/01/13 02:51 PM

That being said...

Oil producing jobs in Houston taking a hit is not a big deal, except to those who lose their jobs, of course. Oil can be found everywhere, and anywhere, and no one down the chain is going to be in trouble if Houston produces less oil.

The American Auto Industry, however, is not that way. You can mostly only get those cars from Detroit (and associated cities).

Those jobs support tens of millions of jobs all over the USA, too...from car dealers to auto parts industries to mechanics.

10,000 jobs lost in Detroit will result in millions of jobs lost all over the USA. Losing every job in the entire city of Houston that deals with the oil industry will not short the country or the world on oil, nor will it cost millions of jobs anywhere.

That's why comparing them is silly...which I suspect you know, but will continue to harp on anyway.

Fish on...

Todd

Re: Educational - 02/01/13 02:54 PM

There are a LOT of corporate headquarters located in and around Houston, so there is obviously some added appeal there. If I had to take a wild-ass guess, I'd say that the cost of doing business in Texas is less than that in Michigan, due to Texas STATE policy. I don't think intrusion by the FEDERAL government, or any lack thereof, factored in heavily.

As for why nobody's moving to Detroit, well, cost of doing business aside, it's a $hithole. I'm more sure about this than my speculation regarding Houston's diversification.

Re: Educational - 02/01/13 02:59 PM

Originally Posted By: FleaFlickr02
As for why nobody's moving to Detroit, well, cost of doing business aside, it's a $hithole.

You are being too kind.

Re: Educational - 02/01/13 03:00 PM

So the high suicide rate in Detroit is because of Obama?

Fish on...

Todd

Re: Educational - 02/01/13 03:21 PM

Originally Posted By: FleaFlickr02

As for why nobody's moving to Detroit, well, cost of doing business aside, it's a $hithole. I'm more sure about this than my speculation regarding Houston's diversification.

I've read you're posts for a year and more, and you are insightful. But you choose to say potato, while choose to say pototo.

Re: Educational - 02/01/13 03:37 PM

Originally Posted By: Hankster
WTF are you talking about?

I assumed the suicide rate in Detroit had something to do with how Detroit is Obama's fault, and Houston's resurgence is because Obama ignored it.

I mean...you wouldn't just change subjects right in the middle of blaming Obama for it, would you?

If you did...don't. If you are blaming the suicide rate on Obama, excellent.

Fish on...

Todd

Re: Educational - 02/01/13 04:05 PM

It's more the City of Detroit committing suicide itself.

If it were Obama's fault, wouldn't it be homicide?

I think you guys are so busy blaming Obama for saving Detroit that you've gone ahead and confused yourselves again.

Fish on...

Todd

Re: Educational - 02/01/13 04:13 PM

There you again Todd, shall the cart drag the horse?

Perhaps you might take a deep breath and contemplate.

Re: Educational - 02/01/13 04:16 PM

I'm still trying to contemplate why someone would ever copy/past anything that Mona Charon writes since it is virtually all just as inaccurate and misleading as this article is.

I'm also still trying to contemplate why RWWJ's would try and compare the oil industry in Houston to the auto industry in Detroit.

I'm also still trying to figure out not only why it's Obama's fault, but what the thing is that's his fault this time.

Lastly, I'm still contemplating why Hank always changes topics in the middle of a conversation.

No need to contemplate why RWWJ's not only stick to their guns when their "facts and logic" are shown to be "smoke and mirrors and fallacies", but double down on their fallacies...that is, to turn a phrase, how they roll.

Fish on...

Todd

Re: Educational - 02/01/13 05:00 PM

Sir, must you always resort to purjoritives?

Re: Educational - 02/01/13 06:16 PM

I'm sorry but I just can't think of Detroit without thinking of DJ Assault. Rise up, D!!!

You're welcome.

Posted by: Chuck E

Re: Educational - 02/01/13 06:25 PM

Well Ap, that's the way to do it if you want to hijack a thread. Nicely played.

Re: Educational - 02/01/13 06:43 PM

Hank, sorry to offend your delicate sensibilities.

You need soap and water,
soap and water,
soap and water,
soap and water,
water, water, water, water,
water, water, water, water,
water, water, water, water.
Posted by: Magicfly

Re: Educational - 02/01/13 07:13 PM

Originally Posted By: AP a.k.a. Kaiser D
I'm sorry but I just can't think of Detroit without thinking of DJ Assault. Rise up, D!!!

You're welcome.

Made it 32 sec. before I thought I was experiencing a pre heart attack......wow.....

Done for now. smile

Mf

Re: Educational - 02/01/13 07:40 PM

applause roflThankyou, made me forget about that pompous
azz's, er I mean Todd's foolishness for a few.

Re: Educational - 02/01/13 07:45 PM

Originally Posted By: Illyrian
applause roflThankyou, made me forget about that pompous
azz's, er I mean Todd's foolishness for a few.

It pleases me to no end that these are the "smart" comments made about me by a guy who's contribution to the political conversation is either pithy, indecipherable, and worthless one liners, or just copy/pastes of right wing fools like the one that started this thread.

Fish on...

Todd

Re: Educational - 02/01/13 07:55 PM

thank you for the kudos. In a personal comparison I feel like a winner. I do admit to not having a legal degree.

Re: Educational - 02/01/13 07:58 PM

I think it's great that you feel like a winner.

I think everyone should feel that way.

Fish on...

Todd
Posted by: Salmo g.

Re: Educational - 02/01/13 08:01 PM

So Cruz seemed like a smart cookie with his comparison or analogy only until one thought about it and realizes it's a false - apples and oranges - comparison. Yeah, let's select sample cities or regions that appear to support our argument, and then analyze only the variable or variables that also appear to support our argument, and naturally we'll ignore any sample cities or variables that conflict with our argument. Wow, that takes a real 148 er to figure out. I suppose "cherry picking" is a more appropriate description than apples and oranges, but fruity nonetheless.

Re: Educational - 02/01/13 08:08 PM

It's what happens when people seek out "facts" to back up their deeply held feelings rather than look at facts and then form opinions based upon them.

It's also a fantastically good way to sell magazines and supports the entire FoxNews empire with zillions of dollars.

Fish on...

Todd

Re: Educational - 02/01/13 08:13 PM

If that was the point of the article, Hank, then it could have been made with one sentence...

"Houston is doing great, Detroit is not"

...but even you, I'm sure, know that the point of the article was to find a pretend link between leaving Houston to its own devices and watching it triumph over evil, and a link between government assistance in Detroit causing it to be in trouble, and then concluding that the only difference between what happened in Houston and what happened in Detroit is that the Gubmint fukked up Detroit.

Which...is total douchebaggery.

Fish on...

Todd

Re: Educational - 02/01/13 08:14 PM

No Hank, it does not. But unless you missed the point, Sen. Cruz was suggesting a causal correlation between styles of governing and results while ignoring that any other factors or variables may have contributed to the outcome, and contributed more greatly. That is the flaw in myopic analyses.

Re: Educational - 02/01/13 08:29 PM

Not at all. Business tends to follow the bottom line.

Re: Educational - 02/01/13 10:45 PM

Hank,

Retire to Houston.

Let us know how you like it.

It's not a coincidence that Houston is business-friendly AND the asshole of the US.

Re: Educational - 02/01/13 10:58 PM

I'm not sucking Detroit's dick. You have some Houston jizz on your chin.

I'm staying in Washington. Not the most business-friendly state in the union, but it's not a sh!thole, either.

Re: Educational - 02/01/13 11:00 PM

Shelton is too a chit hole! laugh

Re: Educational - 02/01/13 11:02 PM

I don't live there, you stupid fuckhead.

And you're waaay to big a pussy to go there and let those words spew out of that cocksucker of yours. You'd get your ass beat so fast it would be comical.

And it would probably be some Shelton broad that decided to kick your pussy ass back to Bellevue.

Re: Educational - 02/01/13 11:20 PM

Why didn't you just say that?

smile

Re: Educational - 02/01/13 11:25 PM

I wasn't listening, though.

You should be used to it by now.

smile

Re: Educational - 02/01/13 11:35 PM

And you're waaay to big a pussy to go there and let those words spew out of that cocksucker of yours. You'd get your ass beat so fast it would be comical.

And it would probably be some Shelton broad that decided to kick your pussy ass back to Bellevue.

hehehehe...I knew that would get your goat.

Re: Educational - 02/02/13 12:01 AM

Originally Posted By: Sol Duc

hehehehe...I knew that would get your goat.

Pine Tree restaurant. 6:15am on any work day. Bob's Tavern, Friday night, about 9pm. Try it. I want to be there with a video camera.

Re: Educational - 02/02/13 12:01 AM

smile

You can take the boy out of Shelton....................

Re: Educational - 02/02/13 12:03 AM

Bob's Tavern Fried Chicken n Jo's.................the best.

Re: Educational - 02/02/13 12:12 AM

rofl

Re: Educational - 02/02/13 02:08 AM

Originally Posted By: Salmo g.
No Hank, it does not. But unless you missed the point, Sen. Cruz was suggesting a causal correlation between styles of governing and results while ignoring that any other factors or variables may have contributed to the outcome, and contributed more greatly. That is the flaw in myopic analyses.

It always offends me when anyone says, You missed the point, it is at a minimum presumptuous, and most certainly shallow.

You rarely disappoint.

Re: Educational - 02/02/13 06:55 PM

Wasn't trying to offend you Blackmouth. It's not presumptuous if Hank's subsequent post offered no clue that he understood the difference between implied causation and coincidental correlation. Shallow? This is the dark side; almost everything posted here is shallow due to brevity if nothing else.
Posted by: RowVsWade

Re: Educational - 02/02/13 08:13 PM

You can take the boy out of Shelton....................

...and trigger an amber alert....or leave the boy in Shelton and........
Posted by: Mikespike

Re: Educational - 02/02/13 08:37 PM

Kentucky Fried Movie lives again! rofl
Posted by: Mikespike

Re: Educational - 02/02/13 08:49 PM

As some of you have pulled at the strings of this argument, the argument has become like life without zinc oxide. This piece of trash also reminds me of trickle down economics, which was of course, a runaway success.

Re: Educational - 02/03/13 02:22 PM

Hank,

No, yes, and implied causation. Glad I could help.