Official 2017 Baseball Thread

Posted by: dwatkins

Official 2017 Baseball Thread - 02/07/17 02:48 PM

New season is about to start!
Posted by: Direct-Drive

Re: baseball - 02/11/17 07:13 PM

What is baseball ?
Sounds like something the Euros would do.
Posted by: Jason Beezuz

Re: baseball - 02/12/17 06:44 PM

The other day I swung and missed at some rocks at the beach with a stick. I do not like baseball because I suck at it.
Posted by: Sol Duc

Re: baseball - 02/14/17 04:46 PM

Go Manures! Question for the bazeball fans, what does "Hot stove league" mean?
Posted by: eddie

Re: baseball - 02/14/17 08:34 PM

Back in the days before central heating the baseball fans would gather around a hot wood stove in the winter and talk about the Boys of Summer. That's the best explanation I've heard.
Posted by: NickD90

Re: baseball - 02/14/17 09:03 PM

Originally Posted By: eddie
Back in the days before central heating the baseball fans would gather around a hot wood stove in the winter and talk about the Boys of Summer. That's the best explanation I've heard.

This 100% correct. BS'ing and standing around the old Potbelly in NY, Chicago, Philly et al. during the freezing winters months. There's some great photos from that time in Chicago and Canton. 1/2 of em' look like 'Bill the Butcher'.

I'm down with some Baseball starting back up. Mariners look to be roughly +5 over last year, which would get them the wildcard. Hope springs eternal this time of the year. Excuse me while I go put another log on the fire.... wink

Re: baseball - 02/14/17 09:09 PM

The mods are now editing my posts to put words in my mouth. What a bunch of pussies. This place is run by pussies.

Re: baseball - 02/14/17 09:32 PM

Well then, I recommend you stop throwing hanging curve balls. Ricky Vaughn has more control.

But you are right. All of the mods, except maybe Garcia, are GIANT dripping Axe Wounds. That's their job. Fvckin' with you is just their lunch break.

Re: baseball - 02/14/17 09:34 PM

Thanks,I just thought it was a Seattle term.

Re: baseball - 02/15/17 06:00 AM

Originally Posted By: NickD90
Well then, I recommend you stop throwing hanging curve balls. Ricky Vaughn has more control.

But you are right. All of the mods, except maybe Garcia, are GIANT dripping Axe Wounds. That's their job. Fvckin' with you is just their lunch break.

My point was that playing baseball, especially hitting stuff with a stick, is a lot more fun than watching. I played a lot of baseball growing up. Dreamed of the big league, never been into watching.
Posted by: Carcassman

Re: baseball - 02/15/17 07:21 AM

Baseball is just different, and Jason hit part of it. First, you play it. There are still leagues (softball) for folks in their 60s, 70s, 80s, +++. How many over 80 basketball, football, or soccer leagues are there? It is a sport for life.

Baseball is made for radio, and listening while otherwise occupied. Used to listen to the WS while in school, and doing the school work. Listened to the M's while working. You can do both. The other "majors" require you to watch and be rather fully involved -along with eating and drinking. A game is a social event.

You can listen to baseball, especially with a good announcer, and know when it is time to pay attention.

Re: baseball - 02/15/17 10:53 AM

Speaking of announcer's, I use to love listening to Bob Blackburn (Sonic's announcer, for you snowflakes)...nobody was better....the good old days.
Posted by: The Moderator

Re: baseball - 02/15/17 12:06 PM

Originally Posted By: NickD90
Fvckin' with you is just their lunch break.

It's lunch time!

Time to go f#ck with the sensitive snowflakes some more.
Posted by: Bent Metal

Re: Official 2017 Baseball Thread - 02/15/17 08:15 PM

Snowflakes?

Re: Official 2017 Baseball Thread - 02/16/17 12:06 PM

Originally Posted By: Bent Metal
Snowflakes?

Nah, if you are young you are dumb and whiny but if you are over the age of 35 you are wise and outraged.

Re: Official 2017 Baseball Thread - 02/16/17 12:32 PM

What would make a good snowflake round? I'm thinking somewhere around a FMJ .003 caliber should be plenty of knock down power. <grin>

That should hit around 4500 fps.

Re: Official 2017 Baseball Thread - 02/17/17 01:21 PM

Originally Posted By: Hankster
For all of you A's and Giants fans, but mostly the A's fans, Cy Young award winner Barry Zito has a song on the charts. It's #39 and working its way up the Country Billboard as we speak.

applause

pretty cool, say what you want but he is a very talented guy.
Posted by: fish4brains

Re: baseball - 02/19/17 08:33 AM

Originally Posted By: Jason Beezuz
The other day I swung and missed at some rocks at the beach with a stick. I do not like baseball because I suck at it.

So, you don't like fishing either???......
Posted by: Metal

Re: baseball - 02/25/17 09:43 AM

Originally Posted By: Sol Duc
Speaking of announcer's, I use to love listening to Bob Blackburn (Sonic's announcer, for you snowflakes)...nobody was better....the good old days.

Except for Kevin Calabro. Nobody has been or will be better.

Re: baseball - 02/25/17 11:09 AM

Apple's to Orange's......both were GREAT !! beer

Re: baseball - 03/13/17 12:08 PM

Alex had his firs tournament over in Pasco this weekend. The team is basically made of up Little League 11 and 12's who play by Little League rules and are used to 55' between bases rather than "real baseball" rules and distances for that age. 70' between bases and leading off are the two big rule changes that kill any Little League based team.

We got our asses handed to us, which really didn't surprise anyone.

Cold, rainy, windy, wet and miserable conditions on Saturday and a little better on Sunday. Might as well have been playing in Seattle.

Oh well, good for Alex to get some pitching and hitting in this weekend. He didn't play as he would have liked and is always hard on himself.

More Little League practices this week with games starting in late March. His "tournament" team has games every Sunday.

Going to be a busy spring and summer for Aled and I.

This thread is about baseball, right?

At bat.....

On the mound......

Posted by: BroodBuster

Re: baseball - 03/13/17 12:16 PM

Paker,
You better hope he's no good or else your gonna have to sell the boat and buy an RV!

p.s. At this point even Little League baseball is better than anything to do with the NFL. God I'm sick of that league. One, maybe two, good games all year long and that's all simple minded Americans can wrap their peawit brains around. Ugh!!

Re: baseball - 03/13/17 12:22 PM

Alex is a good, solid, player. He's not going to overwhelm you on the mound, but will throw a fastball and a change up for strikes. If he misses, it's low.

He's got super fast hands, and soft glove, and not all ball shy. He makes an excellent 3rd baseman as well as a great center or left fielder.

He tends to lean forward a bit on his swing and his biggest obstacle there is himself. He's a good hitter.....and wants to be a great hitter...but he just hasn't convinced himself of that yet.

I hope he continues on with baseball after this season. Not too sure what or where he would be going. I'd love to see him try out and make his HS team, but that's for him to figure out and not me.

In the meantime, I'm just a coach on his team and now and let him do his thing.
Posted by: WDFW X 1 = 0

Re: baseball - 03/13/17 01:01 PM

Parker,
I coach my son's team as well.
From one father/coach to another it's easy to see your son's problem.
He's swinging an outdated, year old Mako.
You need to get out your wallet and buy him a new Beast.
If you don't believe me....................Just ask him.

PS. Tell the second baseman to at least pretend like he is ready.

Re: baseball - 03/13/17 01:05 PM

rofl

Little League is changing the bat requirements at the end of this season. He will move to a Juniors level, or pony league bat next year. He will be just fine with that 2-year old Mako! smile

Yeah, the kid behind him plays exactly like he looks....and about how you'd think he would play. In all fairness, Alex was warming up before the inning started.....wasn't actual game time yet.
Posted by: BroodBuster

Re: baseball - 03/13/17 03:06 PM

Now if the sun would only come out! As an ex catcher I've always hated mud. Anybody who thinks baseball players are sissies for not playing in the rain never stood in a batters box!!!

Re: baseball - 03/13/17 03:21 PM

10-4.
That is real similar to the chit hitting the fan.

Re: baseball - 03/13/17 08:24 PM

Looking good! That was a fun age....

Re: Official 2017 Baseball Thread - 03/16/17 01:49 PM

No talk about the M's here? Looks like they are not the favorites to win the off season world series this year......oh well

Back to little league.

Some of my favorite memories of playing ball were little league through American legion. Played a couple years in HS, pitched and 2nd base.....schitty at both.... My advice to the little guys are to have fun, don't put alot of pressure on them and let the next level talk work it's way out on its own. Your boy has good form, I can tell he's going to be a hitter wink

Re: Official 2017 Baseball Thread - 03/16/17 09:25 PM

BM, the Seattle Pilots use to play at sicks stadium before becoming the Milwaukee Brewers. I remember being around 5 years old and going with my Dad and Uncle and Cousin to the N.Y Yankee's when they came to town. It was bat day and they gave out free bats to all the Kids. The best part was watching the last days of Mickey Mantle before he retired. Man, I wish I had that bat today. smile

Re: Official 2017 Baseball Thread - 03/22/17 10:36 PM

Word.

Re: Official 2017 Baseball Thread - 03/23/17 11:59 AM

Congratulations to Team USA for their first World Baseball Classic title!

USA!

USA!

USA!

USA!

Re: Official 2017 Baseball Thread - 03/24/17 08:04 AM

Sounds like something you would find at the Dollar Store.

Re: Official 2017 Baseball Thread - 03/24/17 08:12 PM

Found this gem at the dollar store!

Re: Official 2017 Baseball Thread - 03/24/17 08:12 PM

USA!

USA!

USA!

USA!

USA!

Re: Official 2017 Baseball Thread - 03/24/17 09:34 PM

Pretty sweet deal! I didn't get to see much of the WBC, but what I did see was pretty fun. IMO - they need to cut the MLB season down by a lot. It won't happen, but it would make the season more interesting and easier to get excited about for the average fan. People don't have the attention spans any longer to handle 162 games. 75 max with no inter-league play.

Re: Official 2017 Baseball Thread - 04/03/17 09:52 PM

This hurts..... The M's lose the season opener, the King comes up lame on a jog over to first, and the offense couldn't do schit.

Somebody tell me that it's going to be O.K.

cry

If Slo wasn't such a total Neanderthal, Chuck would still be here to carry on the M's tradition. Fuk all ya'll.....as they say in Houston

Re: Official 2017 Baseball Thread - 04/03/17 10:01 PM

The King ? rofl

Re: Official 2017 Baseball Thread - 04/05/17 12:42 PM

Damn!

http://bleacherreport.com/articles/27019...paign=editorial

PS. The boy hit is first home run on Saturday. Dead center, hit the top of the fence at 225' and bounced on over.

He hit a screamer that drilled the 225' on the fly (about 6" from the top of the fence) the Saturday before. That ended up being a double, but showed him that he easily has the power to go yard a few times this season.
Posted by: NOFISH

Re: Official 2017 Baseball Thread - 04/10/17 12:32 PM

C'mon STAM, we're only 4 games out of first place rofl
Posted by: fp

Re: Official 2017 Baseball Thread - 04/10/17 02:35 PM

Originally Posted By: Bent Metal

Found this gem at the dollar store!

Pretty much paid 95 cents too much on that one. Everybody hated Bobby 'cept for Lou.

fp

Re: Official 2017 Baseball Thread - 04/12/17 07:20 AM

My Oh My.

Re: Official 2017 Baseball Thread - 04/12/17 02:40 PM

This year has been refreshing so far. Instead of the "drama" from previous seasons, they just saved us the trouble and went straight to the losing part. I can respect that. At least the people know what their $1.50 tickets will be buying.

Re: Official 2017 Baseball Thread - 04/13/17 07:01 AM

There is a reason M is the 13th letter of the alphabet.
Posted by: Todd

Re: Official 2017 Baseball Thread - 04/13/17 01:07 PM

I went to the game on Tuesday night.

$13.50 for the ticket. I bought two beers, and IPA for me and a Coors Light for a girl, total for those two beers was $24.50...with tip, $30 even.

Two beers cost more than two tickets.

And we lost.

The girl is really cute, though.

Fish on...

Todd

Re: Official 2017 Baseball Thread - 04/13/17 01:18 PM

Did she hear a click?

Re: Official 2017 Baseball Thread - 04/28/17 11:32 AM

I went to the beach, watched the sunset, and hit some rocks with a stick again. It was a lot of fun unlike this season and watching baseball in general.

Re: Official 2017 Baseball Thread - 05/01/17 12:36 PM

Mid season for the NE Seattle Little League and Alex found himself in the Mid-Season Classic Home run Derby. A great honor in itself as only 6 kids make it. The kid did OK but was middle of the 6-man pack at the end. Good to see all 6 kids in the derby are part of the 12U Allstar team that will make a run for the Little League World Series in June.

Any by run, I mean maybe they can win a game this post-season. I don't think I have to fear a trip to Williamsport. smile

Re: Official 2017 Baseball Thread - 05/02/17 11:13 AM

Congrats Parker.
Kid must take after his mother.

Re: Official 2017 Baseball Thread - 05/03/17 12:06 PM

Originally Posted By: WDFW X 1 = 0
Congrats Parker.
Kid must take after his mother.

Don't think so. I don't hate my son and have never called him a "worthless kunt" in my life.

Re: Official 2017 Baseball Thread - 05/03/17 01:10 PM

Perhaps he didn't.

Did she know any baseball players?

Re: Official 2017 Baseball Thread - 05/03/17 05:05 PM

Originally Posted By: stam
Originally Posted By: paker

"worthless kunt"

You were married to her too?

..Does that make us Eskimo Brothers?

Eww...

DON'T CROSS THE STREAMS RAY!

Re: Official 2017 Baseball Thread - 05/04/17 12:17 PM

Stam and I are twins. Not identical.

Re: Official 2017 Baseball Thread - 05/04/17 01:42 PM

Separated only by a mole.

Re: Official 2017 Baseball Thread - 05/25/17 12:43 PM

My Oh My!!

Re: Official 2017 Baseball Thread - 06/06/17 12:17 PM

Originally Posted By: stam
Is the season over yet? Did they make the playoffs...yet?

Yeah, the Little League regular season is over. Katterman's was the 4th seed in the tournament and after a quick pair of loses are done for the season.

One of the Moms took photos throughout the season and she snapped some good ones.

Here's one of Alex connecting on a pitch.

From here, we find out after this weekend if he made the 12U Allstar Team. If so, this is the team that theoretically could make it all the way to the Little League World Series. All they have to do is win.
rofl Ok, a more realistic goal would be for them to win a District 8 Tournament game. Maybe two!

His other team, the Pilots, ended their season in a 5-game tournament last weekend. They didn't win the tournament, but did end up winning 2 games. Mind you, this team hasn't won a game in 3 years, so it was a pretty big deal. Lots of screaming fans and happy kids. Fun times.

Lastly, caption this photo: (Alex is in his catchers gear)

Re: Official 2017 Baseball Thread - 06/06/17 04:23 PM

I cannot believe you 206ers play on turf.
Don't women know how to do laundry up there?

Seriously I enjoyed the pictures Parker and the one is definitely perfect..
Thanks for sharing.

My son's team was solid this year which makes it easier to give up fishing days.
They won their league and the 3 tournaments they entered.
I didn't miss a minute of the action. smile

Here are a few pictures from this year.
Mainly of a handsome 10 year old I'm pretty proud off.
He batted in the upper .700 range for the season and was a beast in the field.

Lots of things to look forward to next year.

Depriving this kid of a home run was sweet.
The look on his face as he was forced to slam on the brakes is priceless.

The end of a hard days work.

Have a great summer!!!

Re: Official 2017 Baseball Thread - 07/17/17 05:42 PM

Teminder: the Giants suck

Re: Official 2017 Baseball Thread - 07/21/17 11:42 PM

Athletics will be good again and are playing up to par with what they have. Giants were supposed to fight for the division again this year. Giants need to trade some players and I think no one player should be untouchable for a trade. (Even posey, bum, and Crawford