Quarantine book club

Posted by: dwatkins

Quarantine book club - 03/23/20 10:05 AM

Anybody been reading more often? Right now I’m reading ‘the best team money can buy’.
Posted by: Anonymous

Re: Quarantine book club - 03/23/20 10:20 AM

My dad loaned me a big hardback book called The Secret History of World War 2, but other than that I haven't really done much reading. I plan on starting that book today.
Posted by: OceanSun

Re: Quarantine book club - 03/23/20 10:43 AM

^^^^^^^^ That!

I just had to LOL when I saw the post title. What the heck has the Darkside become - A Book Club??!! And I thought it was just Hank and Toff that fagged out this site {;>)

I do a ton of reading but for work not entertainment. Might be a good change of pace. Maybe ease into it with some good Louis L'Amore short stories. I like his writing but especially when he ventures beyond straight-up westerns.

Re: Quarantine book club - 03/23/20 11:01 AM

Read some fishing books,most of you need all the help you can get,from what I hear. Reading water is the first step to mastery.
Posted by: SpoonFed

Re: Quarantine book club - 03/23/20 11:16 AM

WTF is this.. Fvckin reading rainbow?
Posted by: NickD90

Re: Quarantine book club - 03/23/20 11:52 AM

I'm mostly digging into epidemiology and related areas. Reading papers and studies and following closely online. I'm a stats nerd by trade, so it's very interesting to me to see how are stats applied to this area. Been working through and following some basic calculus just to keep mentally sharp. There is a LOT of BS that you have to wade through though. The old saying "stats don't lie, but statisticians do" definitely applies to times like this. Half of what gets published out there today is pretty bunk science, so question everything right now. The only stat I've found that really matters are the day-over-day % positive increases or decreases. New cases and total deaths are not a good metric to track (too many variables).

Past that, been reading some Elk hunting books and doing some on-line scouting. I can't wait to hit the trails and get some leather on the ground.
Posted by: WDFW X 1 = 0

Re: Quarantine book club - 03/23/20 12:02 PM

OK Fuucktards.
Screw this up and club yourself.

Alaska's Wolf Man
and
Beast Man the John Torno Story
Posted by: SpoonFed

Re: Quarantine book club - 03/23/20 12:12 PM

Originally Posted By: ReefSkunk
Spoonhead is Evo by the way, in case anyone was wondering.

Keep on wondering folks.

The only thing you got hooked is your finger in your ass.

Posted by: Jason Beezuz

Re: Quarantine book club - 03/23/20 12:46 PM

I am reading, Sowbelly - The Obsessive Quest for the World Record Largemouth Bass. It is interesting.

I was put on to this book by reading this 9 page article, seriously read it, it is a crazy story about Mike Long: https://sdfish.com/general/dark-secret-americas-big-bass-guru-mike-long/

The lengths fishermen go to to lie about catches is pretty amazing, when you get millions of dollars involved like in bass fishing, it gets even wilder. I don’t fish bass much but the high stakes tournament bass fishing scene makes for some entertaining stories.

It also reminds me about the sad truth when I am the only guy who doesn’t catch 5 steelhead a day, which happens more than ever when fish are rarer than ever.....it is all BS, many fishermen are the biggest liars and will out catch you every single time.
Posted by: dwatkins

Re: Quarantine book club - 03/23/20 12:51 PM

Originally Posted By: Jason Beezuz
I am reading, Sowbelly - The Obsessive Quest for the World Record Largemouth Bass. It is interesting.

I was put on to this book by reading this 9 page article, seriously read it, it is a crazy story about Mike Long: https://sdfish.com/general/dark-secret-americas-big-bass-guru-mike-long/

The lengths fishermen go to to lie about catches is pretty amazing, when you get millions of dollars involved like in bass fishing, it gets even wilder. I don’t fish bass much but the high stakes tournament bass fishing scene makes for some entertaining stories.

It also reminds me about the sad truth when I am the only guy who doesn’t catch 5 steelhead a day, which happens more than ever when fish are rarer than ever.....it is all BS, many fishermen are the biggest liars and will out catch you every single time.

That article is a great read! Read it a few weeks ago.
Posted by: NickD90

Re: Quarantine book club - 03/23/20 12:52 PM

Originally Posted By: Myassisdragon
No time for reading. Just finished up most of the final project items on the "K-7" Soviet Sled-Boat rebuild. As the entire back end of the boat was hacked off, then re welded together with a new transom by the manufacturer **, I had a ton of follow on re-build tasks to finish. Wiring, batteries, jack plates, electronics and on and on.

It Looks pretty swell, and totally soviet sub - like sitting under the boat house ready to fish. Very Red Octoberish wink

So, now the question is, will I get stopped by the fuzz if I take her to a local boat launch/ramp for some engine run up and sea trials by breaking the self isolation, and social distancing requirements ?

** BTW, IMNHO, Smokercraft has one fine lifetime warrantee policy !

lol...wut? Post some pics of this thing.
Posted by: Streamer

Re: Quarantine book club - 03/23/20 12:56 PM

Yes pics.

No time for me to read either. Too busy with work and yard work. Did get a chance to hit the lake the other day with the boy.

Re: Quarantine book club - 03/23/20 12:57 PM

I know I wanna see what that boat looks like!
Posted by: Todd

Re: Quarantine book club - 03/23/20 01:18 PM

Originally Posted By: WDFW X 1 = 0

Beast Man the John Torno Story

I have read this book, it is amazing.

Fish on...

Todd
Posted by: WDFW X 1 = 0

Re: Quarantine book club - 03/23/20 02:17 PM

Check out Alaska's Wolf Man
You will like it.
The dude defines tough.
Posted by: DCC

Re: Quarantine book club - 03/23/20 03:06 PM

The entire "Flashman" series, it may be a bit much for some of the feint
hearted here, but, good stuff.
Posted by: DCC

Re: Quarantine book club - 03/23/20 03:17 PM

I love a happy ending!
Posted by: fish4brains

Re: Quarantine book club - 03/24/20 06:14 PM

Just read the Red Sparrow trilogy by Jason Matthews, Terminal List and True Believer by Jack Carr, now starting The Border by Don Winslow (3rd in the Power of the Dog trilogy.) Recommend all