wild fish grumblings

Posted by: skydriftin

wild fish grumblings - 02/14/04 02:23 AM

cnr season open on the Skagit system,none on the Snohomish system. I have NO problem with either case,but why does wdfw wait until the 2nd week of Feb to announce it. I have known there would be no season on the sky for 5 months,why do they keep us in the dark? My 2nd ***** is the brood stock program on the Green.With such low returns of wild fish,how can they supplement low returns of hatchery fish with broodstock wild fish.Another case of a system being managed for harvest only?
Posted by: Smalma

Re: wild fish grumblings - 02/14/04 10:07 AM

Skydriftin-
The answer to the short notice is due in at least part to administrative procedures. Emergency regulations are limited to just 120 days. In that at least part of the season just modified go through May they can offically be enacted until early February. Any news release put out well advance of that time would have to be so full of "maybe"s and "likely" that it may be more confusing then what we currently have.

Tight lines
S malma
Posted by: skydriftin

Re: wild fish grumblings - 02/15/04 01:26 AM

Smalma,bulls**t, the decisions to have or not have these fishing opportunities has been cut and dry for months, official announcements would not have to say "if" or "maybe". They owe it to the people to announce it when the decisions are made and NOT keep us in the dark. Things like this are why there is little or no trust or faith in wdfw by fishermen
Posted by: Todd

Re: wild fish grumblings - 02/15/04 02:26 AM

Skydriftin',

I don't think Smalma was saying that they didn't decide to do it just now, or tried to keep us in the dark until right now.

The regs call for it to be open in March and April, and to close it WDFW needs to use the "emergency rule" process.

Emergency rules only last for 120 days, max, so they had to wait until the 120 days would cover the entire months of March and April to enact the rule.

I guess they could have told us 14 days ago, but that wouldn't have made that much of a difference.

As you noted, we all knew it wasn't going to be open, anyway.

Fish on...

Todd.

P.S. How's fishing been lately? I hooked three on the Snoqualmie yesterday...maybe we could get out before the closure?