Right wing media hypocrisy

Posted by: eddie

Right wing media hypocrisy - 01/09/05 11:15 AM

I have learned at the feet of the Master(s) and I now can identify the subtle stench of media bias. So, let's look at the self proclaimed but likely dean of the "conservative" commentators in Western Washington, John Carlson.

On Friday, Dino Rossi announced the election contest. In his statement or the press conference that followed he stated (not verbatim but I think accurate) - "The people of the State of Washington can not tell who won this election." Sounds like a good definition of a tie. When Gregoire said that it was a tie, Carlson and others (many here as well)savaged her. However, on Friday, Carlson proclaimed Rossi, "Gubenotorial, calm, measured."

Carlson also made much of a poll done by Moore Information that showed 56% of the population wanting a revote. If the poll had shown 56% of the population proclaiming Gregoire the winner and that polling company primarily worked for Democrats and one of the principals had been Maria Cantwell's campaign manager, I believe that John would have felt a "responsible duty" to inform us. However, since none of these items were present, he made no comment other than to indicate to the listening audience that this poll was accurate and "very important news". One may want to check into the background of Moore Information. If so, here is the link: http://www.moore-info.com/About_Staff_Exec.php

I support the revote effort and am looking forward to casting my vote. I am uncertain who I will vote for - I would love to see a viable 3rd party because both the Dems and the GOP have covered themselves with shame through this process. We'll see what happens....

Once again, I would ask all that care to do their own research, form their own opinions and not just do a cut and paste job to support their contentions. I wish there was something that I could do to rein in the power of the KVI's of the world. I can change my subscription to the newspaper but KVI gets to use the public airwaves for their crap. Yet, I listen - what does that say about me???
Posted by: Anonymous

Re: Right wing media hypocrisy - 01/09/05 12:24 PM

Gotta second that.

Oh, and Carlson is an idiot, always has been... my opinion of course... he reminds me of a deranged Chihuahua.
Posted by: goharley

Re: Right wing media hypocrisy - 01/09/05 01:00 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by eddie:
Yet I listen - what does that say about me???
That listening to both sides keeps you well informed, even if that means taking a bite of a chyt sandwich now and then. ;\)
Posted by: grandpa

Re: Right wing media hypocrisy - 01/09/05 02:10 PM

Quote:
but KVI gets to use the public airwaves for their crap. Yet, I listen - what does that say about me???
hey Ed I listen to you....what's the difference?

I even heard you call in on John's show and he was very polite and let you voice your opinion. He didn't call you an idiot or what you had to say "crap"....Just someone who disagrees with your take on things....
Posted by: Rory Bellows

Re: Right wing media hypocrisy - 01/09/05 02:28 PM

Quote:

I wish there was something that I could do to rein in the power of the KVI's of the world. I can change my subscription to the newspaper but KVI gets to use the public airwaves for their crap. Yet, I listen - what does that say about me???
------------------------------------------------------------

Eddie,

You're one liberal whose opinion I really value, and it surprises me that you would want to limit anyones free speech.

In the free market place of ideas, supply and demand dicates who dominates our airways.

As the old saying goes, 'even bad publicity is good publicity'. If you feel Carlson has a negative effect on all those who tune him in, it probably doesn't do any good to keep referencing him and KVI in your posts.

I don't have a problem with KIRO, National Public Radio or Air America. If someone wants to listen to them--more power to 'em. I don't happen to agree with many of the pundits on those stations, but that's what makes our country great; In the market place of free ideas--I don't have to.

Re: Right wing media hypocrisy - 01/09/05 03:24 PM

Rory, in general I agree with you. However, the distinction in this case is that the public owns the frequency that KVI operates on. To have one political viewpoint so thoroughly dominate a publicly owned resource is not healthy IMHO.

Your other point about me giving publicity to Carlson and KVI is fair. I do listen to KVI while driving because they are the only local political stuff on during the afternoon drive time. I will listen to Siegel on 770 during the morning, unfortunately, the station does not come in as well in the South end.

I notice that neither you nor Grandpa had any comment on the first paragraph of my post. I called it crap because KVI has reported a lot of "facts" that turned out not to be true through the Gubernotorial election. I have truly felt them to be the propoganda arm for the GOP. Whadya think????
Posted by: ACT

Re: Right wing media hypocrisy - 01/09/05 04:21 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by pacificnw:
Gotta second that.

Oh, and Carlson is an idiot, always has been... my opinion of course... he reminds me of a deranged Chihuahua.
Hay knock that off you're insulting my Chihuahuas as your right Carlson is an Idiot as he isn't exactly a "Poster Child" for the Republican Party.

He would equate real well with Mike Arafat, Bagdad Jim or our Tennis Shoe Wearing Senator from Washington.

Re: Right wing media hypocrisy - 01/09/05 04:45 PM

Quote:

I have truly felt them to be the propoganda arm for the GOP. Whadya think????
------------------------------------------------------------

On a national level, the same thing could be said about NPR and the democrats--it ALL comes off in the wash.

One reason I believe so many Washingtonions are turning to Carlson, Wilbur, Siegal, Orbusmax.com and Soundpolitics.com is not because they're manufacturing a story--it's because they are reporting on it (as apposed to the little coverage it's received from the 'main-stream' media).

Do you know of any story KVI reported as fact that was later shown to not to be that they didn't retract or stop reporting?

The more we learn about these election results, the more they smell 'fishy'.

The only way WA residents will accept Gregoire or Rossi as Governer is to have re-vote with only eligable voters votes being counted.

Safeguards should be taken before hand to insure accurate results, for example: provisional ballots should be distinguishly different from regular ballots, make sure all military personnel have a chance to participate and perhaps reconcile the individual counties voter roles etc..

Gregoire is going to fight tooth and nail against this because I believe she knows full well that she would lose if there was a re-vote.

I think that alone tells fence sitters everything they need to know about whether Gregoire puts her own personal interest before that of the states--She wants to be Governor more than she wants to be Washingtons choice for Governor.

http://www.revotewa.com

Re: Right wing media hypocrisy - 01/09/05 06:06 PM

"One reason I believe so many Washingtonions are turning to Carlson, Wilbur, Siegal, Orbusmax.com and Soundpolitics.com is not because they're manufacturing a story--it's because they are reporting on it (as apposed to the little coverage it's received from the 'main-stream' media)."

I believe that about as much as I think that the O'Reilly Factor is really a "no-spin zone."

Re: Right wing media hypocrisy - 01/09/05 08:28 PM

It appears to me that we, the public, have been getting a line of crap from the entrenched Democratic machines in Olympia and King County. Another example of the minority telling the majority what to do or forcing them to do it.

I think the talk shows and bloggers have served a great purpose of getting information out that the machine would cover up. The evidence of problems with the 2004 election for governor are so clear that is makes you sound just plain blindly partisan when you, like Gregoire, say all the charges are phony and trumped up by conservative talk radio. It just makes your arguments seem foolish. It is not the fault of KVI that over 60% or the people in our state think the election was flawed and should be tossed out. Who knows how many other elections have been engineered over the years around here.

Unfortunately, without fraud or cheating the King County elite have elected Patty Murray. Ron Simms, and Jim McDermott....over and over again. Now that is real CRAP.

Re: Right wing media hypocrisy - 01/09/05 09:18 PM

Rory, you said "One reason I believe so many Washingtonions are turning to Carlson, Wilbur, Siegal, Orbusmax.com and Soundpolitics.com is not because they're manufacturing a story--it's because they are reporting on it (as apposed to the little coverage it's received from the 'main-stream' media)." This sure gives the truth to the old saw of "depends upon your viewpoint". My beef with Carlson in particular is his propensity TO manufacture stories. As Grandpa has correctly pointed out, there is no lack of legitimate reasons to contest this election and to have a revote. Why Carlson feels the need to invent stuff may be the answer as to why he received less than 40% of the vote in 2000!

Re: Right wing media hypocrisy - 01/10/05 12:48 AM

There wasn't 2 wins for Rossi and 1 win for Gregroire. There was only one election, so only one final winner.

Imagine a hore race where the horses are running backwards. At the finish line it's too close to call (the first count). When first looking at the photo finish, (the second count) it's still too close to call. Only after enlarging the photo for closer scrutiny as allowed by the rules of the race (third count) do we see which horses end actually won by a hair.

It's really just semantics, but what it has done, along with the relentless whining of conservative talk radio and Chris Vance, is made Rossi out to be the "victim" in this ordeal. Washington being a somewhat liberal state, and liberal thinking people have a propensity to support the victim, Rossi will win by a landslide in a reelection - disregarding the real issues.

Funny, too, how the ones that cry the loudest about taxes, fiscal irresponsibility, and litigation happy America don't have a problem with what a revote is going to cost us.

I still think if there's a revote it should be on the entire previous ballot, not just the govenor.
Posted by: Theking

Re: Right wing media hypocrisy - 01/10/05 11:21 AM

Eddie,

Is carlson listed in the media guide as a news format or talk show? Is he pushed as a hard news guy? I have never heard him nor do I listen to KVI so I am asking. BTW with the public owned airspace being leased to private companies . You can file a complaint and voice you opinion at reliscense time. Or just turn the dial.

Re: Right wing media hypocrisy - 01/10/05 12:47 PM

TK - I believe KVI bills itself as a "news talk" format. As you know, the lines of distinction can be quite blurry.

Re: Right wing media hypocrisy - 01/10/05 01:04 PM

Eddie,

When ever a show is named after someone it is opinion from my view point. I only listen to the talkies in an election year or if there is something big happening. Otherwise it's all doom and gloom and I see enough of it first hand to need to be entertained by it.
Posted by: Salmo g.

Re: Right wing media hypocrisy - 01/10/05 02:39 PM

Why didn't Rossi and the Republicans think there was fraud or wrongdoing in the election when Rossi had the lead?
Posted by: Todd

Re: Right wing media hypocrisy - 01/10/05 02:53 PM

Salmo, I've asked that same question a dozen times over the last week, and haven't received an answer yet...

The only difference between the Republicans shouting "Concede!" two weeks ago, and "Revote!" now is who's ahead...and that doesn't do a lot for their credibility.

As to the conservative media, they have really changed over the past six or seven years...it's almost impossible to see any line between them and the NRC...the conservative media is just an extension of the Republican propoganda machine...

Fox News, Fair and Balanced? For shame...

Ann Coulter, Sean Hannity, Rush Limbaugh, John Carlson, etc., etc., etc....they constantly report as if they are all working for White House media relations (only since they have their own vehicles for spouting, they play much freer and looser with the truth than even the White House meda guys do...and that's saying something.)

Liberal Media Bias? Yeah...right. :rolleyes:

It's called a "useful myth"...one that has no basis in truth, but is used as a platform to launch the republican propaganda machine as a legitimate source of news.

Fish on...

Todd

Re: Right wing media hypocrisy - 01/10/05 04:04 PM

"Liberal Media Bias? Yeah...right"

Just as much as that is an unbiased comment. 75% of the media polled last year admited a liberal bias. Several sutdies have concluded the same.
Posted by: 4Salt

Re: Right wing media hypocrisy - 01/10/05 05:35 PM

Quote:
75% of the media polled last year admited a liberal bias.
Media is the plural of the word medium, which in this case refers to the many different ways news stories reach the public. Television, Print, Radio, the Internet etc... are mediums.

So how is a medium able to be polled there king? Did you mean the people responsible for the reporting? The huge conglomerates that own most of the television and radio stations and major newspapers and magazines?

Why would 75% of reporters, publishers, and news anchors have a liberal bias over a conservative one? It just doesn't make any logical sense?

I've always wondered why some folks perpetuate that myth, when I've yet to see any REAL proof?

Re: Right wing media hypocrisy - 01/10/05 05:51 PM

That's the cool thing about a conspiracy, you don't have to prove it. ;\)

Re: Right wing media hypocrisy - 01/10/05 05:51 PM

4salt,

Several studies have shown when polled members of the various mediums admit a liberal bias. Take the Seattle PI as an example. How long do you think the PI would last in Seattle if it took the same stance as a Spokane paper on National and State political issues?

Re: Right wing media hypocrisy - 01/10/05 06:13 PM

There's a BIG difference between editorial opinion and hard news reporting. ;\)

Re: Right wing media hypocrisy - 01/10/05 06:35 PM

4salt,

Not talking about editorial opinion just straight news. The topics and slant in the PI would never cut it east of the mountians. When I was the Murrow School at WSU we where taught it should be the same in print and broadcast.

Re: Right wing media hypocrisy - 01/10/05 06:49 PM

If you truly believe that to be the case king then how about this:

Post a news story from both sources covering the exact same event. Perhaps the Iraq war or the relief effort for the Tsunami victims.

Let's do a line-by-line comparison and you SHOW me where the Times is reporting with more of a liberal bias.

Re: Right wing media hypocrisy - 01/10/05 07:06 PM

Simple just go back a pull articles on the the presidential campaign can compare views on Bush and whats his name. Maybe even PI articles on how all but 3 provinces in Iraq are living peacefully ,rebuilding and thanking the US and allies for getting rid of Saddam. Those things do not sell too well in Wallingford but they sell real well in Omak.
Posted by: BroodBuster

Re: Right wing media hypocrisy - 01/10/05 08:43 PM

Of course the news is biased. It is Capitalism after all. In the end it is entertainment. If a radio or tv program is boring it fails. Newspapers, tv news and radio shows all cater to the targeted demographics of their advertisers. The only program that is not biased is on C-Span!

Claiming to not be biased is part of the media game. Everybody else is biased but I just report the news. Yea right!

Re: Right wing media hypocrisy - 01/10/05 08:55 PM

Quote:
Carlson in particular is his propensity TO manufacture stories. As Grandpa has correctly pointed out, there is no lack of legitimate reasons to contest this election and to have a revote. Why Carlson feels the need to invent stuff may be the answer as to why he received less than 40% of the vote in 2000!
I want to send some of this stuff to John Carlson to see what he has to say. Focus on the governor's race and the debate over the vote and possible revote and tell me what stories were or are manufactured or fabricated.

Furthermore, KVI talk radio and specifically John Carlson's show are talk shows with opinions and certainly biases. No big surprises there. John makes no secret of his support for Dino Rossi and his dislike for Gregoire. He is not trying to be politically correct or balanced.

Re: Right wing media hypocrisy - 01/10/05 09:01 PM

Quote:
The election worker's e-mail follows:

I work at elections and I spent most of the night tossing and turning without being able to sleep. I just felt like I needed to send you a message on an anonymous computer before I go into work today. I can't contact you directly, because I can't afford to lose my job, and I am hoping that you can just have your lawyers look into these things because if you expose where you got this information from it will point a finger right at a few of us here in the office who are just disgusted with what is going on. But if there was ever an investigation, we would all be happy to tell the truth.
Before I start, I just want to say that I don't consider myself to be a Republican. Actually, I work in elections, so I don't really consider myself a Democrat, either, but I probably vote for more Democrats than Republicans.

But I am just sick to my stomache about what they are doing to you people (the Republicans) here in King County. I voted for Gregoire, I'll admit it, but it sure seems to me that it's much more important for the votes to be counted correctly and for everyone to know the election was fair, than for one side to be able to screw around with the numbers to make their candidate win in a close race. Like the Democrats are doing here.

I have been reading all of the articles in the papers because honestly we get more correct information about what we are working on from the newspapers then we do from our own management. We're all spread out in three different places, and even in the administration building, we are on two different floors so we don't have the opportunity to talk with each other as much as normal, plus management tries to keep us from having certain information because they are always afraid of leaks. But we do talk enough to know when things are just not right and there's times when what's right for the voters has to be more important than anything else.

I have worked here for years, and we used to be all about the voters, and making every vote count every day and in everything we did. That was the attitude from top to bottom. That's not the way it is anymore and it hasn't been for a couple of years. I'm tired of management being able to lie to the press and getting a free ride. And don't believe the crap about Ron Sims not being involved. There are people from his office coming over here all the time. They have it set up like the Mafia - the Don can never be touched because all the communication goes through the trusted lieutenants. But don't you believe for a second that Ron isn't calling the shots, and isn't ALWAYS calling the shots.

Here are some things from the inside view that seem like they should be important to this election.

1. I think you should ask Bill or Dean point blank if there were any problems with the military ballots and see what they tell you. Maybe they will tell you the truth, maybe they won't. Word finally got around to us regular workers that the only military ballots sent out were the overseas ones on October 8 or 9 (which was late already), and that any we put in the computer or that were what we call domestic (US mail address) didn't go out because of a "glitch" in the computer. I get tired of everything being blamed on a glitch. This is just plain a screw-up by the absentee people. They had the data to mail these ballots out and they just didn't do it.

We kept getting complaints from military people by phone and email before the election and some after, and so anyvoter who realized early enough that their ballot was not coming and had the opportunity to pick up the phone (some military people are on assignments that keep them from being able to call the outside world, even when they are stationed here in the US) and called was sent a ballot, but anyone who did not, or could not call in time did not get one. If you want do public disclosure requests for any emails about this (like copies of the complaints to the office), do it quick.

We have rules being enforced about erasing email fast to make sure that it doesn't get backed up and nobody from the outside can request email and the county can't get in trouble for not providing it. I think this is because of the lawsuit from that guy that got the county fined, but they claim it is for better "information management". I think this is illegal, it seems like complaints that come into the election office belong to the people and better information management doesn't consist of erasing documents and voter complaints, but who am I to say? I just work here.

2. Like I said in the one above, if you want any documents for a recount or for any lawsuits, better ask King County for them now, because we have been told to delete things to keep them from getting out to the public. You might want to ask the county to freeze anything they have. At least make them tell all of us staff not to delete our e-mail or "old" documents.

3. I think someone needs to do the math and find out where the extra mystery 10K ballots really came from, because we sure don't know and we work here. We can figure out about 3,000 more than we thought, mostly provisional ballots sent from other counties and some late arriving overseas ballots with good postmarks. The absentee supervisors have gotten all weird and secretive when people ask. And no, they weren't just sitting around here. The extra "good" ballots appeared over the weekend. I don't know what absentee "supervisor" told you people that we don't have a way of counting the incoming absentee ballots, that's just bulls**t if you pardon my French. We DO have a way of knowing how many absentees have come back.

The ballots are sorted and counted as they come in every day and we know how many have come in. We post it on the internet for crying out loud. There hasn't been any large amount of ballots come back for a whole week.

The mail drops down to just a trickle by the Monday after the election. Even if you take all of the ballots we got in the mail on last Saturday and this past Monday (hardly any, including military ballots) and add them to provisional ballots we got from out of the county on Saturday and Monday, it just doesn't add up. And there are ways to slip in extra ballots and make them look legitimate if the race is close. Ask for an exact accounting.

They will not be able to give you one right away. They will have to play with the numbers to make it look legitimate.

4. The Democrats asked to see just the provisional ballots that had no signature. If they were aware of what is really going on, they should have also looked at the provisional ballots that are being set aside and not counted because the voter is "not registered". We were so far behind with putting registrations in the computer that at one point the supervisors just made a set of boxes with thousands of registrations "disappear" overnight.

(And no, they were not entered. We had a night crew, but not a night crew so big or experienced that they could input thousands of registrations overnight.) We were weeks behind with no way to catch up and they were telling everyone and the papers that we were caught up. It was just a nightmare. We never would have gotten to these people anyway before the election even if the box had not disappeared. I bet that these cards will magically reappear after the election as registrations that were "too late" for this election. But they weren't. I saw when they came in. They were in on time, and now those people didn't get to vote or voted a provisional ballot that won't be counted.

Please look in to these things. Every vote should count, and people should be able to expect that the elections are not going to be a screwed up mess every time. And there's tons of screw ups in this office that get covered up each election. It didn't used to be this way.

Aren't there Republicans on the Council that can call for an investigation? AN OUTSIDE investigation, not a set-up to help hide the dirt and prop up Ron Sims? And not a Secretary of State investigation when they will just cover their friends' butts again. I know Reed is a Republican, but those people at the Secretary of State's office and the management they sent here are all friends, and will cover for each other above all else.

(And yes, I have voted for Ron Sims before, but never again. I'm tired of working for a county that is corrupt, and this person who votes for Democrats would gladly vote for a Republican if they will clean up the county. Hopefully you guys can run someone competitive next year, who's moderate enough that us disgruntled Democrats can vote for them, too.)

Re: Right wing media hypocrisy - 01/10/05 09:36 PM

Grandpa, You are correct in that John Carlson does not hide his biases, and you are also correct in that he isn't in the news business, he's in the entertainment business, however, by being on the radio, his words take on a greater import than even the average newspaper writer. You ask about stories that were fabricated or made up - I don't know of any in particular from Carlson although Kirby Wilbur was calling Rossi Governor during the machine recount. When I called up and complained, he virtually acknowledged that he was attempting to influence the listening audience by using this term. Clearly, the Christine Rossi story was notable for what was omitted by KVI. I have heard no mention of what Dan Satterberg (GOP member of the King Co. Canvassing Board) said about the number of vote decisions that were made on a 2-1 margin. I'm still waiting for KVI to tell me just exactly how many Military ballots we are talking about. The points that I brought up to begin this thread are 2 more examples. Today, Carlson trumpeted a soundpolitics.com article about an in-depth investigation of the mailing of overseas ballots by King Co. When I pointed out to him that King Co. may have more than one bulk postage account, he said that he "assumed that they wouldn't". I do not know the answer on today's revelation, but I can guarantee you that if (note the if, I am not stating this as a fact) today's story turns out to be untrue and premature that Carlson will conveniently move on to the next. If a retraction is offered, it certainly will not have the weight of his original assertions. Now, I'm not terribly surprised by that, all media are loathe to admit errors. But, the damage is done, Carlson like so many irresponsible members of the media will move on - unconcerned about the mess he leaves behind. Remember, I started this thread an called it hypocrisy - I believe that KVI and particularly John Carlson are doing nothing more or less than other politically charged commentators are doing. My complaint is that he asserts that he is bringing his audience a higher standard. And I don't believe that is true.

On a side note, I see that KIRO has moved the Dave Ross show to the afternoon. Now, I have 2 choices to hear local political talk. That certainly takes away from the importance I attached to the right wing dominating certain time slots. No question, Ross is liberal and will have his slant - but we all have a choice.

Re: Right wing media hypocrisy - 01/10/05 11:34 PM

I think your view of KVI begins before anything is said with your expectation that everything you hear will be BS and you only listen to rebutt things.

I know if I listen to Stuart Smalley I am blinded by my total dislike for him. Same with Patty Murray or Jim McDermott.....The distaste I have for them transfers to premature judement of everything that comes out of their mouths.

Re: Right wing media hypocrisy - 01/10/05 11:39 PM

Here is more info on one of your "fabricated" stories ED:

Quote:
Joe O'Donnell, who broke the story of the hundreds of unverified provisional ballots that were fed into election machines, sends us this email on the King County's military absentee ballots that supposedly went out on Oct. 7:

From Bulk Permit #1455 (the permit that is used for mailing absentee ballots)

What I have found is that there was activity only on that account on October 2nd (1,605 pieces) and October 13th. (28,000 pieces) There was no activity in between those to dates.

I asked if the submission and billing occurs on the same day. And the computer showed that yes the bulk mailing was received by USPS on the 13th and billed on the 13th.

When I asked for a hard copy she clammed up saying, because it was of a political nature she would have to forward me on to her supervisor. She must have looked the name of organization on the account.

The supervisor was out at another post office branch, so I left a voice mail with him to set up a meeting this afternoon. At that time I will give him my expedited review FOIA and try to obtain hard copies of the information today.

Before I left I repeated myself "no activity from the between the 2nd and 13th?"
She said "No activity"

I will confirm with the supervisor that there are no other bulk permits used for absentee ballots.

This looks like another "mistake"

Re: Right wing media hypocrisy - 01/10/05 11:41 PM

Here's some more BS on a national scale:

Quote:
JOHN FUND ON THE TRAIL

Don't Count Rossi Out
A stolen election in Washington state? Not if bloggers can help it.

Monday, January 10, 2005 12:01 a.m. EST

The new media--talk radio, bloggers and independent watchdog groups--have followed up their success in exposing Dan Rather's use of phony memos by showcasing another scandal: Washington state's bizarre race for governor, which features a vote count so close and compromised it allows Florida to retire the crown for electoral incompetence. If Democrat Christine Gregoire, who leads by 129 votes and is scheduled to take the office Wednesday, eventually has to face a new election, it will have been in large part because of the new media's ability to give the story altitude before it reached the courts.

When the idea of a revote was first broached three weeks ago by a moderate Republican former secretary of state, Ms. Gregoire's reaction was swift: "Absolutely ludicrous." With Republican candidate Dino Rossi filing a formal court challenge last Friday alleging a massive breakdown in the vote count, she may still think the idea of a court-ordered revote is laughable, but her legal team is taking it seriously. "There's not even a 50-50 chance a court would rule with Republicans to set aside the election," says Jenny Durkan, a Gregoire confidant who is representing state Democrats. Hardly an expression of supreme confidence.

The feeling that a revote is possible is buoyed by polls showing the public still thinks Mr. Rossi, who won the first two vote counts before falling behind in the third, actually won. His legal team has also compiled a strong body of evidence showing irregularities, certainly one far more detailed than that which North Carolina officials used last week to order a statewide March revote of the race for agriculture commissioner after a computer ate 4,438 ballots in a GOP-leaning county. Without those votes, the GOP candidate was leading by 2,287 votes out of 3.5 million cast.

In Washington state, the errors by election officials have been compared to the antics of Inspector Clouseau, only clumsier. At least 1,200 more votes were counted in Seattle's King County than the number of individual voters who can be accounted for. Other counties saw similar, albeit smaller, excess vote totals. More than 300 military personnel who were sent their absentee ballots too late to return them have signed affidavits saying they intended to vote for Mr. Rossi. Some 1 out of 20 ballots in King County that officials felt were marked unclearly were "enhanced" with Wite-Out or pens so that some had their original markings obliterated.
Most disturbing is the revelation last week by King County officials that at least 348 unverified provisional ballots were fed directly into vote-counting machines. "Did it happen? Yes. Unfortunately, that's part of the process in King County," elections superintendent Bill Huennekens told the Seattle Times. "It's a very human process, and in some cases that did happen."

King County elections director Dean Logan, Mr. Huennekens' boss, also concedes the discrepancy between the number of ballots cast and the list of people who are recorded as voting. Even though the gap is 1,200 votes, he says, "that does not clearly indicate that the election would have turned out differently." Are voters supposed to trust an election merely because it can't "clearly" be shown to be hopelessly tainted? Mr. Logan is certainly singing a different tune now than he was on Nov. 18, when he responded to charges of voting irregularities in an e-mail to colleagues, which read in part: "Unfortunately, I have come to expect this kind of unsubstantiated crap. It's all too convenient, if not now fashionable, to stoop to this level when there is a close race."

Slade Gorton, a Republican former state attorney general and U.S. senator who is advising Mr. Rossi, says a court should order a revote rather than declare valid one of the two earlier vote counts that Mr. Rossi won. "No one can govern effectively under the cloud this race has created," Mr. Gorton says. He notes that state law doesn't require any showing of fraud to contest an election. "That is irrelevant to whether the election should be done over," he says. "The law is quite clear in giving a court the right to void any election where the number of illegal or mistaken votes exceeds the margin of victory, and it has done so in the past."

Mr. Gorton notes that Sam Reed, the Republican secretary of state who certified Ms. Gregoire's victory, issued a report in 2003 noting that King County's sloppy election procedures could lead to just this sort of election meltdown. "The county is not consistent in their ballot enhancement procedures," Mr. Reed's report concluded. "Ballot enhancement, while done in full view of political observers, did not use the procedures outlined in the Washington Administrative Code. Inconsistencies in how this procedure is handled significantly increase the possibility of a successful election contest."

Much of the evidence uncovered on King County's flouting of election laws first appeared on Soundpolitics.com, a blog run by computer consultant Stefan Sharkansky. A former liberal who worked for Michael Dukakis in 1988, Mr. Sharkansky calls himself a "9/11 conservative mugged by reality." He uses his knowledge of statistics and probability to illustrate how unlikely some of the reported vote count changes are. He also uncovered the fact that in Precinct 1823 in downtown Seattle, 527, or 70%, of the 763 registered voters used 500 Fourth Avenue--the King County administration building--as their residential address. A full 61% of the precinct's voters only registered in the last year, and nearly all of them "live" at 500 Fourth Avenue. By contrast, only 13% of all of King County voters registered in 2004.
Not all of the voters at the county building are homeless or hard to find. A noted local judge and her husband have been registered at the county building for years. When I called her to ask why, she became flustered and said it was because of security concerns, specifically because "the Mexican mafia are out to get me." When I pointed out that her home address and phone number were easily found on the Internet and in property records, she ended the conversation by refusing to answer a question about whether she had improperly voted for state legislative candidates who would represent the county building but not her residence.

Even liberal officeholders in Seattle privately acknowledge that the combination of bloggers, talk radio and local think tanks like the Evergreen Freedom Foundation have helped skeptics of the election's validity win the public relations war. Evergreen president Bob Williams says his group isn't focused on overturning Ms. Gregoire's election so much as on highlighting the obvious problems in the vote count that cry out for permanent legislative fixes. He notes the public is paying attention: A poll taken last week by Seattle's KING-TV found that by a 20-point margin state residents back a new election, and by 53% to 36% they don't think Mr. Rossi should concede.

Seattle Times columnist Joni Balter says the attack on the vote count by Republican-leaning media "is by now a near-military operation--air, land and sea." She blames radio hosts Kirby Wilbur, John Carlson and Mike Siegel for keeping listeners updated and in a constant state of outrage. "There's a lot to be outraged about," responds Mr. Carlson, an unsuccessful candidate for governor in 2000. "Last week, I did 13 out of my show's 15 hours on the election and people wanted more."

In his new book, "Blog: Understanding the Information Reformation," radio host and law professor Hugh Hewitt calls the new media a form of "open-source journalism" in which gatekeepers can no longer control what reaches the public. Readers and listeners interact with bloggers and talk show hosts so that a free market of ideas and information can emerge. "Blogs analyzed the Washington state election shenanigans in a more sophisticated and comprehensive way than the mainstream media," he told me. "When a swarm of blogs and new media focus on a story it can fundamentally alter the general public's understanding of an event or person. Ask John Kerry, Trent Lott, Tom Daschle and soon-to-retire CBS anchor Dan Rather if they think the new media changed people's perceptions of them."

Similarly, when Christine Gregoire takes the oath of office as governor on Wednesday, she will still face a threat to her seat of power should the new media keep up the pressure and more evidence of a tainted vote count emerges in court.
She would do well to recall what happened in Minnesota after the 1962 election for governor there. Republican Elmer Anderson won a squeaker and was sworn in, but a recount of disputed ballots ground on. A hundred days into Mr. Anderson's term, a panel of three state judges ruled that Democrat Karl Rolvaag had actually won by 91 votes. To end the legal wrangling, Mr. Anderson dropped any appeals and calmly left office, allowing Mr. Rolvaag to move into the governor's mansion.

You can expect the new media to talk up that historical example a lot as they seek to instill in the public's mind the belief that Washington state's election for governor isn't over just because after Wednesday someone occupies the office.

Re: Right wing media hypocrisy - 01/11/05 12:30 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by grandpa:
Here's some more BS on a national scale:

Quote:
JOHN FUND ON THE TRAIL

Don't Count Rossi Out
A stolen election in Washington state? Not if bloggers can help it.

One... two... three... out.

Re: Right wing media hypocrisy - 01/11/05 12:08 PM

Quote:
I'm still waiting for KVI to tell me just exactly how many Military ballots we are talking about. ... Today, Carlson trumpeted a soundpolitics.com article about an in-depth investigation of the mailing of overseas ballots by King Co. When I pointed out to him that King Co. may have more than one bulk postage account, he said that he "assumed that they wouldn't". I do not know the answer on today's revelation, ...
From what the county elections director says, military overseas ballots are not sent regular bulk mail. There is a separate special delivery procedure in place for overseas military. That's why there was no record of overseas ballots going out bulk rate.

Of course KVI won't tell you that. ;\)

Re: Right wing media hypocrisy - 01/11/05 04:39 PM

Grandpa, thanks for posting the link from Sound Politics. I saw it as well. The last line was interesting - "I will confirm with the supervisor that there are no other bulk permits used for absentee ballots." This was indeed the point I was making to Carlson. 24 hours after posting this, O'Donnell has not updated the story. Maybe the supervisor is out sick. Or maybe, Sound Politics and Carlson got this one wrong. It's good that I won't hold my breath listening for Carlson's retraction. The interesting (ironic?) thing is that in the 2nd hour of Carlson's show he talked about Rathergate and how a producers political persuasion caused them to overlook the importance of fact checking while rushing a story to air. Methinks Carlson might want to take some of his own advice.

Re: Right wing media hypocrisy - 01/12/05 01:52 AM

This would be a good one to call John about on the air and call BS..see if he can answer. If you are right I owe you lunch.

Re: Right wing media hypocrisy - 01/12/05 11:26 AM

Grandpa, thanks for the incentive, I just may have to do that. You listen after about 4:30?

Re: Right wing media hypocrisy - 01/12/05 09:24 PM

didn't hear you tonight...did you get in>? Time for more research

Re: Right wing media hypocrisy - 01/12/05 10:25 PM

Grandpa, yeah, I got in, that John Carlson is a slippery one but did say that if the story turned out to be false he would broadcast that.

Re: Right wing media hypocrisy - 01/12/05 10:41 PM

Let's stay on this one to see what happens.
Posted by: BW

Re: Right wing media hypocrisy - 01/12/05 11:20 PM

This may be a little late for TK to notice, but those three provinces are where almost half of all Iraqies live.

http://www.lib.utexas.edu/maps/atlas_middle_east/iraq_pop.jpg

Re: Right wing media hypocrisy - 01/13/05 01:42 AM

Eddie,

I heard you on Carlson--you're as polite and articulate on the radio as you are in cyber space.

It seemed John gave you a chance to make your points--I guess only time will tell who's right.

How long did you have to wait on hold to get through?

Re: Right wing media hypocrisy - 01/13/05 09:30 AM

Rory, thanks for the compliment. Took about an hour on hold.

Re: Right wing media hypocrisy - 01/13/05 11:29 AM

BW,

99% of the people here do not know that figure because of the media bias. They think that 90% of the country is in turmoil and trying to kill Americans. How many schools, wells, bridges and roads, power plants etc. have been built since the invasion?

Re: Right wing media hypocrisy - 01/13/05 11:31 AM

For all that are interested, it does appear that Soundpolitics and KVI jumped the shark on this one. Here is the article from the Seattle Times - http://seattletimes.nwsource.com/html/localnews/2002149473_ballots13m.html

I will write an e-mail to John Carlson and ask him if I can share his response with this board.

Aunty, thank you for your kind words. However, I inhaled - a lot!!!

Re: Right wing media hypocrisy - 01/13/05 11:45 AM

Copy of e-mail sent to John Carlson:

John,

I appreciate the fact that you and I can have discussions in a rational and thoughtful manner. It appears that this story should put the issue of Bulk Permit 1455 and the Military ballots to bed. Link to Seattle Times article: http://seattletimes.nwsource.com/html/localnews/2002149473_ballots13m.html

My biggest concern all along has been the reporting by KVI of an unsubstantiated story regarding this permit. Mr. O’Donnell, in his original post on Soundpolitics.com indicated that he had some questions that needed to be answered as well regarding how the Military ballots were sent. Yet, you pressed forward with this story that has tremendous emotional response attached to it. In my mind, that was irresponsible and a violation of the public trust implicit in KVI’s use of the public airwaves. As I mentioned last night when we spoke, there are a number of very valid reasons to have a revote in this election. This one was shaky at best (improper vetting) and seemed to be aired only to throw “gasoline on the fire”.

I may be the only one to find it ironic that on Monday the 10th in the 4PM hour, you followed up the story of Permit 1455 with a story on Rathergate and your criticism of the CBS report that did not take the participants to task for political bias. I believe that your main contention was that there existed political bias on the part of the CBS wrongdoers that caused them to rush this story to air without proper vetting.

I hope for a response from you and would ask your permission to share your response on a fishing bulletin board that I am active on. A number of participants have expressed interest in this issue. The bulletin board is http://www.piscatorialpursuits.com

Sincerely,
Posted by: BW

Re: Right wing media hypocrisy - 01/13/05 12:58 PM

The point I was making is the fighting is in the major population centers. Not just in three isolated provences.

And the last I read and heard there still numerous places with not electricity, or schools or for that matter running water. It is true a lot of it is because of the fighting. That would make it a little hard on workers.

Liberal spin makes things sound worse than they are over there. And conservetive spins it to make it sound better than in is. The truth is somewhere in the middle.

Re: Right wing media hypocrisy - 01/13/05 08:22 PM

Grandpa, I think you owe me lunch - here is John Carlson's reply to my earlier e-mail:

Yes, this will be corrected on today's show, Ed. I already called Keith Ervin over at The Times to thank him for his article.

JC

The correction took about 5 minutes, unfortunately easy to miss for the folks that spent at least 1 hour listening to him make the mistake. However, that's media for ya - I guess the new media does things the same way the old media does them!!!! But, like a Texas twister, he was on to new pastures....
Posted by: John Lee Hookum

Re: Right wing media hypocrisy - 01/13/05 08:54 PM

eddie

I guess the new media does things the same way the old media does them!!!! But, like a Texas twister, he was on to new pastures....

\:D

Re: Right wing media hypocrisy - 01/13/05 10:41 PM

OK Ed looks like you win on this one...Where are we going? McDonald or Wendys?

I did notice that sound politics posted the Times article right away so I don't think you can blame them and John Carlson did recant right away too.

KKKK...The John Carlson show is not the evening news and is politically biased on purpose...your assessment is off base as usual. When does your license to say stupid stuff come up for renewal? I think I'll start a campaign to get it revoked.

Re: Right wing media hypocrisy - 01/13/05 10:54 PM

Grandpa, luckily my license for stupidity has a lifetime term ;\) - no revocation needed. Maybe we'll get together down in Puyallup when you are down here.

Re: Right wing media hypocrisy - 01/14/05 12:00 AM

Eddie,

To his credit, Carlson did make the correction about the post marks in the begining of his first hour on the air today--He even mentioned you by name.

I'm still waiting to hear Rather go on air and fully admit he jumped the shark and reported false and misleading information about Bush 43.

I was hoping John would make reference to the fishing website you noted in your EMAIL, oh well, it was fun hearing you and Carlson duke it out--maybe you can be the new Walt Crowley. \:D

Re: Right wing media hypocrisy - 01/14/05 12:44 AM

Well Rory - you have been around for a while but I don't think I could replace Crowley. I am not urban, nor urbane, and I'm not nearly as liberal as Crowley.

Re: Right wing media hypocrisy - 01/14/05 11:11 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by Rory Bellows:
I'm still waiting to hear Rather go on air and fully admit he jumped the shark and reported false and misleading information about Bush 43.
:rolleyes:

And we're still waiting for Bouche to stand before the American people and admit he "jumped the shark and reported false and misleading information about" about Iraq, Saddam, and the imminent threat against America.

I wonder if Rather's misinformation had cost the lives of a few Americans he could have gotten a Freedom Medal like the others?

Re: Right wing media hypocrisy - 01/18/05 03:22 PM

Funny how GH ignores the other 11 reasons the president listed for goin gto war.

I suppose the auther is biased on this piece as well. \:D

Media's coverage has distorted world's view of Iraqi reality

By LTC Tim Ryan
SPECIAL TO WORLD TRIBUNE.COM
Tuesday, January 18, 2005
Editors' Note: LTC Tim Ryan is Commander, Task Force 2-12 Cavalry, First Cavalry Division in Iraq. He led troops into battle in Fallujah late last year and is now involved in security operations for the upcoming elections. He wrote the following during "down time" after the Fallujah operation. His views are his own.

All right, I've had enough. I am tired of reading distorted and grossly exaggerated stories from major news organizations about the "failures" in the war in Iraq. "The most trusted name in news" and a long list of others continue to misrepresent the scale of events in Iraq. Print and video journalists are covering only a fraction of the events in Iraq and, more often than not, the events they cover are only negative.

The inaccurate picture they paint has distorted the world view of the daily realities in Iraq. The result is a further erosion of international support for the United States' efforts there, and a strengthening of the insurgents' resolve and recruiting efforts while weakening our own. Through their incomplete, uninformed and unbalanced reporting, many members of the media covering the war in Iraq are aiding and abetting the enemy.

The fact is the Coalition is making steady progress in Iraq, but not without ups and downs. So why is it that no matter what events unfold, good or bad, the media highlights mostly the negative aspects of the event? The journalistic adage, "If it bleeds, it leads," still applies in Iraq, but why only when it's American blood?

As a recent example, the operation in Fallujah delivered an absolutely devastating blow to the insurgency. Though much smaller in scope, clearing Fallujah of insurgents arguably could equate to the Allies' breakout from the hedgerows in France during World War II. In both cases, our troops overcame a well-prepared and solidly entrenched enemy and began what could be the latter's last stand. In Fallujah, the enemy death toll has exceeded 1,500 and still is climbing. Put one in the win column for the good guys, right? Wrong. As soon as there was nothing negative to report about Fallujah, the media shifted its focus to other parts of the country.

More recently, a major news agency's website lead read: "Suicide Bomber Kills Six in Baghdad" and "Seven Marines Die in Iraq Clashes." True, yes. Comprehensive, no. Did the author of this article bother to mention that Coalition troops killed 50 or so terrorists while incurring those seven losses? Of course not. Nor was there any mention about the substantial progress these offensive operations continue to achieve in defeating the insurgents. Unfortunately, this sort of incomplete reporting has become the norm for the media, whose poor job of presenting a complete picture of what is going on in Iraq borders on being criminal.

Much of the problem is about perspective, putting things in scale and balance. What if domestic news outlets continually fed American readers headlines like: "Bloody Week on U.S. Highways: Some 700 Killed," or "More Than 900 Americans Die Weekly from Obesity-Related Diseases"? Both of these headlines might be true statistically, but do they really represent accurate pictures of the situations? What if you combined all of the negatives to be found in the state of Texas and used them as an indicator of the quality of life for all Texans? Imagine the headlines: "Anti-law Enforcement Elements Spread Robbery, Rape and Murder through Texas Cities." For all intents and purposes, this statement is true for any day of any year in any state. True — yes, accurate — yes, but in context with the greater good taking place — no! After a year or two of headlines like these, more than a few folks back in Texas and the rest of the U.S. probably would be ready to jump off of a building and end it all. So, imagine being an American in Iraq right now.

From where I sit in Iraq, things are not all bad right now. In fact, they are going quite well. We are not under attack by the enemy; on the contrary, we are taking the fight to him daily and have him on the ropes. In the distance, I can hear the repeated impacts of heavy artillery and five-hundred-pound bombs hitting their targets. The occasional tank main gun report and the staccato rhythm of a Marine Corps LAV or Army Bradley Fighting Vehicle's 25-millimeter cannon provide the bass line for a symphony of destruction. As elements from all four services complete the absolute annihilation of the insurgent forces remaining in Fallujah, the area around the former insurgent stronghold is more peaceful than it has been for more than a year.

The number of attacks in the greater Al Anbar Province is down by at least 70-80 percent from late October — before Operation Al Fajar began. The enemy in this area is completely defeated, but not completely gone. Final eradication of the pockets of insurgents will take some time, as it always does, but the fact remains that the central geographic stronghold of the insurgents is now under friendly control. That sounds a lot like success to me. Given all of this, why don't the papers lead with "Coalition Crushes Remaining Pockets of Insurgents" or "Enemy Forces Resort to Suicide Bombings of Civilians"? This would paint a far more accurate picture of the enemy's predicament over here. Instead, headlines focus almost exclusively on our hardships.

What about the media's portrayal of the enemy? Why do these ruthless murderers, kidnappers and thieves get a pass when it comes to their actions? What did the the media show or tell us about Margaret Hassoon, the director of C.A.R.E. in Iraq and an Iraqi citizen, who was kidnapped, brutally tortured and left disemboweled on a street in Fallujah? Did anyone in the press show these images over and over to emphasize the moral failings of the enemy as they did with the soldiers at Abu Ghuraib? Did anyone show the world how this enemy had huge stockpiles of weapons in schools and mosques, or how he used these protected places as sanctuaries for planning and fighting in Fallujah and the rest of Iraq? Are people of the world getting the complete story? The answer again is no! What the world got instead were repeated images of a battle-weary Marine who made a quick decision to use lethal force and who immediately was tried in the world press. Was this one act really illustrative of the overall action in Fallujah? No, but the Marine video clip was shown an average of four times each hour on just about every major TV news channel for a week. This is how the world views our efforts over here and stories like this without a counter continually serve as propaganda victories for the enemy. Al Jazeera isn't showing the film of the CARE worker, but is showing the clip of the Marine. Earlier this year, the Iraqi government banned Al Jazeera from the country for its inaccurate reporting. Wonder where they get their information now? Well, if you go to the Internet, you'll find a web link from the Al Jazeera home page to CNN's home page. Very interesting.

The operation in Fallujah is only one of the recent examples of incomplete coverage of the events in Iraq. The battle in Najaf last August provides another. Television and newspapers spilled a continuous stream of images and stories about the destruction done to the sacred city, and of all the human suffering allegedly brought about by the hands of the big, bad Americans. These stories and the lack of anything to counter them gave more fuel to the fire of anti-Americanism that burns in this part of the world. Those on the outside saw the Coalition portrayed as invaders or oppressors, killing hapless Iraqis who, one was given to believe, simply were trying to defend their homes and their Muslim way of life.

Reality couldn't have been farther from the truth. What noticeably was missing were accounts of the atrocities committed by the Mehdi Militia — Muqtada Al Sadr's band of henchmen. While the media was busy bashing the Coalition, Muqtada's boys were kidnapping policemen, city council members and anyone else accused of supporting the Coalition or the new government, trying them in a kangaroo court based on Islamic Shari'a law, then brutally torturing and executing them for their "crimes." What the media didn't show or write about were the two hundred-plus headless bodies found in the main mosque there, or the body that was put into a bread oven and baked. Nor did they show the world the hundreds of thousands of mortar, artillery and small arms rounds found within the "sacred" walls of the mosque. Also missing from the coverage was the huge cache of weapons found in Muqtada's "political" headquarters nearby. No, none of this made it to the screen or to print. All anyone showed were the few chipped tiles on the dome of the mosque and discussion centered on how we, the Coalition, had somehow done wrong. Score another one for the enemy's propaganda machine.

Now, compare the Najaf example to the coverage and debate ad nauseam of the Abu Ghuraib Prison affair. There certainly is no justification for what a dozen or so soldiers did there, but unbalanced reporting led the world to believe that the actions of the dozen were representative of the entire military. This has had an incredibly negative effect on Middle Easterners' already sagging opinion of the U.S. and its military. Did anyone show the world images of the 200 who were beheaded and mutilated in Muqtada's Shari'a Law court, or spend the next six months talking about how horrible all of that was? No, of course not. Most people don't know that these atrocities even happened. It's little wonder that many people here want us out and would vote someone like Muqtada Al Sadr into office given the chance — they never see the whole truth. Strange, when the enemy is the instigator the media does not flash images across the screens of televisions in the Middle East as they did with Abu Ghuraib. Is it because the beheaded bodies might offend someone? If so, then why do we continue see photos of the naked human pyramid over and over?

So, why doesn't the military get more involved in showing the media the other side of the story? The answer is they do. Although some outfits are better than others, the Army and other military organizations today understand the importance of getting out the story — the whole story — and trains leaders to talk to the press. There is a saying about media and the military that goes: "The only way the media is going to tell a good story is if you give them one to tell." This doesn't always work as planned. Recently, when a Coalition spokesman tried to let TV networks in on opening moves in the Fallujah operation, they misconstrued the events for something they were not and then blamed the military for their gullibility. CNN recently aired a "special report" in which the cable network accused the military of lying to it and others about the beginning of the Fallujah operation. The incident referred to took place in October when a Marine public affairs officer called media representatives and told them that an operation was about to begin. Reporters rushed to the outskirts of Fallujah to see what they assumed was going to be the beginning of the main attack on the city. As it turned out, what they saw were tactical "feints" designed to confuse the enemy about the timing of the main attack, then planned to take place weeks later.

Once the network realized that major combat operations wouldn't start for several more weeks, CNN alleged that the Marines had used them as a tool for their deception operation. Now, they say they want answers from the military and the administration on the matter. The reality appears to be that in their zeal to scoop their competition, CNN and others took the information they were given and turned it into what they wanted it to be. Did the military lie to the media: no. It is specifically against regulations to provide misinformation to the press. However, did the military planners anticipate that reporters would take the ball and run with it, adding to the overall deception plan? Possibly. Is that unprecedented or illegal? Of course not.

CNN and others say they were duped by the military in this and other cases. Yet, they never seem to be upset by the undeniable fact that the enemy manipulates them with a cunning that is almost worthy of envy. You can bet that terrorist leader Abu Musab Al Zarqawi has his own version of a public affairs officer and it is evident that he uses him to great effect. Each time Zarqawi's group executes a terrorist act such as a beheading or a car bomb, they have a prepared statement ready to post on their website and feed to the press. Over-eager reporters take the bait, hook, line and sinker, and report it just as they got it.

Did it ever occur to the media that this type of notoriety is just what the terrorists want and need? Every headline they grab is a victory for them. Those who have read the ancient Chinese military theorist and army general Sun Tzu will recall the philosophy of "Kill one, scare ten thousand" as the basic theory behind the strategy of terrorism. Through fear, the terrorist can then manipulate the behavior of the masses. The media allows the terrorist to use relatively small but spectacular events that directly affect very few, and spread them around the world to scare millions. What about the thousands of things that go right every day and are never reported? Complete a multi-million-dollar sewer project and no one wants to cover it, but let one car bomb go off and it makes headlines. With each headline, the enemy scores another point and the good-guys lose one. This method of scoring slowly is eroding domestic and international support while fueling the enemy's cause.

I believe one of the reasons for this shallow and subjective reporting is that many reporters never actually cover the events they report on. This is a point of growing concern within the Coalition. It appears many members of the media are hesitant to venture beyond the relative safety of the so-called "International Zone" in downtown Baghdad, or similar "safe havens" in other large cities. Because terrorists and other thugs wisely target western media members and others for kidnappings or attacks, the westerners stay close to their quarters. This has the effect of holding the media captive in cities and keeps them away from the broader truth that lies outside their view. With the press thus cornered, the terrorists easily feed their unwitting captives a thin gruel of anarchy, one spoonful each day. A car bomb at the entry point to the International Zone one day, a few mortars the next, maybe a kidnapping or two thrown in. All delivered to the doorsteps of those who will gladly accept it without having to leave their hotel rooms — how convenient.

The scene is repeated all too often: an attack takes place in Baghdad and the morning sounds are punctuated by a large explosion and a rising cloud of smoke. Sirens wail in the distance and photographers dash to the scene a few miles away. Within the hour, stern-faced reporters confidently stare into the camera while standing on the balcony of their tenth-floor Baghdad hotel room, their back to the city and a distant smoke plume rising behind them. More mayhem in Gotham City they intone, and just in time for the morning news. There is a transparent reason why the majority of car bombings and other major events take place before noon Baghdad-time; any later and the event would miss the start of the morning news cycle on the U.S. east coast. These terrorists aren't stupid; they know just what to do to scare the masses and when to do it. An important key to their plan is manipulation of the news media. But, at least the reporters in Iraq are gathering information and filing their stories, regardless of whether or the stories are in perspective. Much worse are the "talking heads" who sit in studios or offices back home and pontificate about how badly things are going when they never have been to Iraq and only occasionally leave Manhattan.

Almost on a daily basis, newspapers, periodicals and airwaves give us negative views about the premises for this war and its progress. It seems that everyone from politicians to pop stars are voicing their unqualified opinions on how things are going. Recently, I saw a Rolling Stone magazine and in bold print on the cover was, "Iraq on Fire; Dispatches from the Lost War." Now, will someone please tell me who at Rolling Stone or just about any other "news" outlet is qualified to make a determination as to when all is lost and it's time to throw in the towel? In reality, such flawed reporting serves only to misshape world opinion and bolster the enemy's position. Each enemy success splashed across the front pages and TV screens of the world not only emboldens them, but increases their ability to recruit more money and followers.

So what are the credentials of these self proclaimed "experts"? The fact is that most of those on whom we rely for complete and factual accounts have little or no experience or education in counter-insurgency operations or in nation-building to support their assessments. How would they really know if things are going well or not? War is an ugly thing with many unexpected twists and turns. Who among them is qualified to say if this one is worse than any other at this point? What would they have said in early 1942 about our chances of winning World War II? Was it a lost cause too? How much have these "experts" studied warfare and counter-insurgencies in particular? Have they ever read Roger Trinquier's treatise Modern Warfare: A French View on Counter-insurgency (1956)? He is one of the few French military guys who got it right. The Algerian insurgency of the 1950s and the Iraq insurgency have many similarities. What about Napoleon's campaigns in Sardinia in 1805-07? Again, there are a lot of similarities to this campaign. Have they studied that and contrasted the strategies? Or, have they even read Mao Zedung's theories on insurgencies, or Nygen Giap's, or maybe Che' Gueverra's? Have they seen any of Sun Tzu's work lately? Who are these guys? It's time to start studying, folks. If a journalist doesn't recognize the names on this list, he or she probably isn't qualified to assess the state of this or any other campaign's progress.

Worse yet, why in the world would they seek opinion from someone who probably knows even less than they do about the state of affairs in Iraq? It sells commercials, I suppose. But, I find it amazing that some people are more apt to listen to a movie star's or rock singer's view on how we should prosecute world affairs than to someone whose profession it is to know how these things should go. I play the guitar, but Bruce Springsteen doesn't listen to me play. Why should I be subjected to his views on the validity of the war? By profession, he's a guitar player. Someone remind me what it is that makes Sean Penn an expert on anything. It seems that anyone who has a dissenting view is first to get in front of the camera. I'm all for freedom of speech, but let's talk about things we know. Otherwise, television news soon could have about as much credibility as "The Bachelor" has for showing us truly loving couples.

Also bothersome are references by "experts" on how "long" this war is taking. I've read that in the world of manufacturing, you can have only two of the following three qualities when developing a product — cheap, fast or good. You can produce something cheap and fast, but it won't be good; good and fast, but it won't be cheap; good and cheap, but it won't be fast. In this case, we want the result to be good and we want it at the lowest cost in human lives. Given this set of conditions, one can expect this war is to take a while, and rightfully so. Creating a democracy in Iraq not only will require a change in the political system, but the economic system as well. Study of examples of similar socio-economic changes that took place in countries like Chile, Bulgaria, Serbia, Russia and other countries with oppressive Socialist dictatorships shows that it took seven to ten years to move those countries to where they are now. There are many lessons to be learned from these transfomations, the most important of which is that change doesn't come easily, even without an insurgency going on. Maybe the experts should take a look at all of the work that has gone into stabilizing Bosnia-Herzegovina over the last 10 years. We are just at the eighteen-month mark in Iraq, a place far more oppressive than Bosnia ever was. If previous examples are any comparison, there will be no quick solutions here, but that should be no surprise to an analyst who has done his or her homework.

This war is not without its tragedies; none ever are. The key to the enemy's success is use of his limited assets to gain the greatest influence over the masses. The media serves as the glass through which a relatively small event can be magnified to international proportions, and the enemy is exploiting this with incredible ease. There is no good news to counteract the bad, so the enemy scores a victory almost every day. In its zeal to get to the hot spots and report the latest bombing, the media is missing the reality of a greater good going on in Iraq. We seldom are seen doing anything right or positive in the news. People believe what they see, and what people of the world see almost on a daily basis is negative. How could they see it any other way? These images and stories, out of scale and context to the greater good going on over here, are just the sort of thing the terrorists are looking for. This focus on the enemy's successes strengthens his resolve and aids and abets his cause. It's the American image abroad that suffers in the end.

Ironically, the press freedom that we have brought to this part of the world is providing support for the enemy we fight. I obviously think it's a disgrace when many on whom the world relies for news paint such an incomplete picture of what actually has happened. Much too much is ignored or omitted. I am confident that history will prove our cause right in this war, but by the time that happens, the world might be so steeped in the gloom of ignorance we won't recognize victory when we achieve it.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Postscript: I have had my staff aggressively pursue media coverage for all sorts of events that tell the other side of the story only to have them turned down or ignored by the press in Baghdad. Strangely, I found it much easier to lure the Arab media to a "non-lethal" event than the western outlets. Open a renovated school or a youth center and I could always count on Al-Iraqia or even Al-Jazeera to show up, but no western media ever showed up – ever. Now I did have a pretty dangerous sector, the Abu Ghuraib district that extends from western Baghdad to the outskirts of Fallujah (not including the prison), but it certainly wasn't as bad as Fallujah in November and there were reporters in there.

Re: Right wing media hypocrisy - 01/18/05 10:52 PM

Almost as if on que, instead of standing before the people and admitting he might have miscalculated the whole Iraq thing, he has the audacity to claim that no one needs to be held accountable for anything because he was reelected.

Typical arrogant conservative.