Storing Pontoon Boat

Posted by: Dave Vedder

Storing Pontoon Boat - 12/24/05 12:36 PM

With all my rivers punched I thought I might start a couple of projects I have been putting off. One is to build a system to store my pontoon boat overhead in the garage.

On another board I say a couple of photos of systems that looked pretty good, but before I start drilling, sawing and buying pulleys I wanted to see what you guys have designed. Do you have a good system for storing your pontoon boat above the cars in you garage? If so, lets see it.
Posted by: bushbear

Re: Storing Pontoon Boat - 12/24/05 12:57 PM

Dave

If you have room, one of those electric chain hoists would be nicer than a come-along and pulleys.
Posted by: Badbobber

Re: Storing Pontoon Boat - 12/24/05 05:35 PM

Dave

I have my 10ft guide on a elk pulley I got from
cabela's. I don't have any sheet rock in the garage so I was able to nail a 2x4 up in the rafters and attached the pulley to that and was able to pull the 'toon up to about 6' 3" from the ground to the bottom of the pontoon's so I can walk under it.
Posted by: Badbobber

Re: Storing Pontoon Boat - 12/24/05 10:03 PM

Dave here is what's working for me. Maybe it will give you some ideas.

Here is the pulley full up

Here is the pulley to the rafter

Pulley to frame is rope looped at one end and tied to U bolts and connected to frame corners for easy of connect/disconnect.

Then I just tie it off to the wall, this is what I'm using for now.

Hope this Helps you some and Merry Christmas
Posted by: ondarvr

Re: Storing Pontoon Boat - 12/24/05 10:49 PM

Dave

You can get the small block and tackle type pully system (rope and all) at Harbor Frieght in Everett for under $5.00 a piece. I use 2 of them to lift and store the canopy from my truck.

Jody
Posted by: Dave Vedder

Re: Storing Pontoon Boat - 12/24/05 11:37 PM

Jody: I will come take a look at your set-up as soon as the rivers drop.
Posted by: ONTHESAUK

Re: Storing Pontoon Boat - 12/25/05 11:24 AM

Take a look at the bicycle pully systems. Just need to beef it up a bit for the pontoon.
Posted by: Sol

Re: Storing Pontoon Boat - 12/27/05 02:50 PM

Just hang her from the sheetrock, Dave. \:D
Posted by: Homer2handed

Re: Storing Pontoon Boat - 12/27/05 03:36 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by Sol:
Just hang her from the sheetrock, Dave. \:D
Sol all ways has the answer \:\)
Posted by: Todd

Re: Storing Pontoon Boat - 12/27/05 05:48 PM

I have a very high tech storage solution for my pontoon boat...it's sitting out in the backyard under a tarp.

Mine's big enough to take up half the garage if I put it in there, and if I were to hang it from the rafters, it would hang down to about chest level.

Fish on...

Todd
Posted by: SteelyDon

Re: Storing Pontoon Boat - 12/27/05 07:18 PM

Darn it. I hate seeing those pictures of someone actually able to hang something (pontoon boat) from their garage ceiling, I can't even walk in mine. I have sheet rock ceilings but I use the ceiling too hold my rods. I have way too many rods (I didn't say that - I mean way too many old cr*&%p rods!).