Smoking pheasants

Posted by: Todd

Smoking pheasants - 11/16/12 03:29 PM

I've got half a dozen pheasnts that I plan on smoking this weekend...anyone got any "gotta try it" recipes?

I'm also going to be doing a bunch of goose breasts and fish...gonna be a busy weekend 'round here!

Fish on...

Todd
Posted by: NOFISH

Re: Smoking pheasants - 11/19/12 11:29 AM

I buy some pre-packaged "Upland Bird brine" at a hardware store in Port Orchard, don't know the brand name......and it seems to do the trick!
Posted by: Todd

Re: Smoking pheasants - 11/19/12 11:39 AM

Cool...thanks!

I managed it with a recipe I found online...came out pretty well. I'll try the Upland Bird Brine next.

Fish on...

Todd
Posted by: Salman

Re: Smoking pheasants - 05/02/13 10:57 PM

You really have lost your mind Hank.
Posted by: Paul Smenis

Re: Smoking pheasants - 05/03/13 11:10 AM

It's pretty basic but it always turns out amazing.

Brine Ingredients:
1 gallon of water (or enough to completely submerge your pheasant)
3/4 cup salt
1 cup sugar

Recipe Ingredients:
1/4 cup olive oil
2 tablespoons black pepper
2 tablespoons onion powder
2 tablespoons cayenne pepper
2 teaspoons paprika
2 teaspoons garlic powder or 2 crushed garlic cloves

Other Stuff:
1 bag of charcoal
1 bottle of lighter fluid or a charcoal chimney starter
1 or 2 bags of wood chips of your choice
Aluminum foil

Smoked Pheasant Directions
To brine, heat your brine ingredients minus the pheasant to dissolve the salt and sugar. Let the brine liquid cool to room temperature and submerge your pheasant in the brine liquid. Next put your brine in the refrigerator and let it sit for 8-10 hours.

Next, soak wood chips in water for an hour to allow them to smolder and smoke instead of burn up quickly within the first few minutes of your smoking session. Another tip is to create 2 foil pouches with holes in the top to make your wood chips last longer. Place your 2nd foil pouch in the smoker about midway through the smoking process.

You will want to light your charcoal smoker about 30 minutes before you want to start smoking your brined pheasants. You will know when the charcoal is ready when all of the coals turn to a glowing white hot color.

During your 30 minutes while you are waiting for your charcoal, mix all of the smoked pheasant rub recipe ingredients together in a bowl. Fully coat your pheasants inside and outside with the rub seasoning.

Place your seasoned pheasants on the smoker and adjust the smoker vent to about 3/4 the way open. If you are using a grill with an adjustable lid, make sure the vent is placed directly above your pheasant so the smoke is drawn across the center of the grill and your pheasants.

Smoke the pheasant for about 3 to 3 1/2 hours to reach a temperature of 155 degrees. Wait 20-25 minutes before cutting into your smoked pheasant or you will not let the internal juices redistribute throughout the meat. This will make your pheasants more tough, so this is a very important step in this recipe.

Your internal pheasant breast temperature should reach 155 degrees Farenheit and the juices should run clear.
Posted by: Dogfish

Re: Smoking pheasants - 05/03/13 12:41 PM

Nice! Lost my only hen, so I may just let my roosters go, or maybe smoke them. Choices.