Smoked tuna

Posted by: Dave Vedder

Smoked tuna - 10/07/13 06:52 PM

I just finished a batch of smoked tuna bellies. Jeebus Farking Christo are they gooooood. Recipe? same as salmon.
Posted by: 1bighog

Re: Smoked tuna - 10/26/13 01:21 PM

I would love to get your smoked trout recipe Dave! That trout you brought me was incredible! Every time I attempt it, it doesn't come out even close!
Posted by: Anonymous

Re: Smoked tuna - 11/02/13 03:35 AM

Tuna bellies...yum
Posted by: Dave Vedder

Re: Smoked tuna - 11/02/13 10:44 AM

Originally Posted By: 1bighog
I would love to get your smoked trout recipe Dave! That trout you brought me was incredible! Every time I attempt it, it doesn't come out even close!

All my smoked fish methods are essentially the same - except for time.

I bury fillets in a mix of salt and brown sugar. Usually about 2 parts salt to 1 part brown sugar. Time depends on thickness of fillets and if previously frozen or not. For a big coho fillet, never frozen, about 2 1/2 hours. If thicker - longer. If thinner less long. If frozen previously cut time by 1/4.

Rinse VERY thoroughly. Put in fridge overnight. Smoke in Big Chief two pans of fresh apple 8-15 hours. Check regularly. Remove when still a bit moister than you like. It will dry out a bit when cooling.
For primo glaze mix a few ounces of crown with as much brown sugar as can be dissolved. Brush mixture on fish three times during smoking.

Posted by: Todd

Re: Smoked tuna - 11/04/13 06:05 PM

Mmmm...I think the Crown and sugar is the secret wink

Fish on...

Todd
Posted by: SRoffe

Re: Smoked tuna - 12/28/13 08:42 PM

Originally Posted By: Todd
Mmmm...I think the Crown and sugar is the secret wink

Fish on...

Todd

Crown? as in "Crown Royal?"