Smoker recommendations

Posted by: Carcassman

Smoker recommendations - 10/26/23 05:17 PM

We currently have a Little Chief that is quite old but serviceable. Looking to upgrade to a better insulated unit and perhaps some more capacity. Needs to be electric and having some sort of temperature sensors and controls would help. Recommendations?
Posted by: WDFW X 1 = 0

Re: Smoker recommendations - 11/08/23 11:15 AM

Lots of options now days.

We have been using the Bradley the last many years and it still runs.
I'm sure there is better but it's a considerable step up from the Chief.

Re: Smoker recommendations - 11/08/23 07:35 PM

We are thinking that better insulation, stronger construction, and better temperature control would all be benefits. But that's why I'm asking.

Maybe a tad more capacity, too. In addition to salmon we really want to set it up for cheeses.

Re: Smoker recommendations - 11/09/23 09:36 AM

You won't regret making those upgrades.

Re: Smoker recommendations - 11/10/23 02:55 PM

We have been looking some today. At Cabela's they had more or less standard for $300 and commercial grade for $1300. That seems a bit steep. Then, we went elsewhere and ran into some Bradley's. They are about $100 more but seem a bit more sturdy and have better controls.

The one downside is that it appears they require one to use their pucks for making smoke. This true/

It was also noted that the electronics (on likely all) are susceptible to moisture so storage outside, even under cover, would be at least damp. Any thoughts?

Re: Smoker recommendations - 11/13/23 09:28 AM

Yes on pucks and we store ours in the garage.

Re: Smoker recommendations - 11/13/23 10:27 AM

Thanks. We are looking at some inside storage. Being built on a hillside with stairs kinda limits options.

Re: Smoker recommendations - 11/16/23 05:34 PM

I ordered a Bradley this afternoon. Haven't got a delivery date yet but already have ideas for smoked things lining up. Salmon and cheese are the low-hanging "fruits" but I think some pork chops and chicken may get tested out too.

Re: Smoker recommendations - 12/07/23 10:17 AM

We got the Bradley and have, so far, smoked cheese and a pork roast. One one our best purchases for food prep.

Re: Smoker recommendations - 12/09/23 03:01 PM

That's great!
If dripping from the top becomes a problem we usually put some foil on a rack in the highest tray position .
If it ever acts funky it's usually just a matter of replugging the cords in the back.
Ours has done many different things. Whole brined turkey comes out fabulous. Smoked summer run x100.
Yummy.
Enjoy.

Re: Smoker recommendations - 12/09/23 05:26 PM

With luck next Friday we will have some turkey to smoke. So far fantastic.

We did use foil to catch the cheese grease and to keep to from melting all over the place.
Posted by: 5 * General Evo

Re: Smoker recommendations - 12/10/23 10:15 AM

if you are smoking cheese, use this... you can either put it in your smoker or BBQ, and dont turn either of them on... pack it with pellets, light it with a torch, and let it do its thing... keep it on one side, and the cheese on the other, or on the bottom, and cheese on top if using a upright smoker...

https://www.amazon.com/MAZE-N-Pellet-Tube-Smoker-Design/dp/B00CS6YFIC

Re: Smoker recommendations - 12/10/23 11:00 AM

We ran the smoker without heat but I think we should have put the cheese in the top rack to get away from the heat generated in smoke production.
Posted by: Todd

Re: Smoker recommendations - 12/16/23 03:56 PM

I picked up the 40" Masterbuilt a few weeks ago...so far I've used it to make a pile of venison jerky, and last week did a brisket.

Electric, digital, and you can put chips in it without opening the door, which I really like, though I wish it would take more chips at once.

Very happy with the acquisition. I see it getting used a lot.

Fish on...

Todd

Re: Smoker recommendations - 01/01/24 07:36 AM

Same here, Todd. We've done some cheese, salmon, and pork; all with great results. We got the Cold Smoke attachment which will allow real low temperature smoking.
Posted by: Direct-Drive

Re: Smoker recommendations - 01/04/24 11:40 AM

I've read how Bradley owners like Peterson Pucks.
https://www.petersonpucks.com/
Watch their Bradley video.

Good luck to those Huskies !

Re: Smoker recommendations - 01/04/24 12:39 PM

Thanks for the recommendation. We'll try them. And Go Dawgs.
Posted by: Direct-Drive

Re: Smoker recommendations - 01/06/24 09:09 PM

Originally Posted By: Carcassman
Thanks for the recommendation. We'll try them. And Go Dawgs.

Be sure to watch their Bradley video.
It looks like Peterson Pucks do not feed like a Bradley puck.

Re: Smoker recommendations - 01/07/24 07:43 AM

Thanks. Got a cold smoker attachment for Christmas. Did cheese well. Now for my wild turkey leg and thigh, which will have heat applied, too. Lots of fun.