mt spokane youth moose hunt help

Posted by: carpsniperg2

mt spokane youth moose hunt help - 09/30/09 02:21 PM

hey everyone i am new here and am looking for some big help i have been reading some old posts on here and some of you seem to know alot about the mt spokane unit my cousin by marriage his yougest brother drew the tag we are headed up the 4th or 5th of oct to stay for a week and hunt i have heard and read that the best bet is to get the iep permit to get the best access to large amounts of land and i have never been in that counrty before so any help like goto places maps tips anything would be very great the kid who has it is 12 and has never even got a deer or any big game animal before this hunt should be awsome pretty cool if he can get his antreless moose and be able to say his first big game animal was a moose! but any thing would be greatly apricated thanks all matt....
Posted by: FishlessDan

Re: mt spokane youth moose hunt help - 09/30/09 11:56 PM

I drew that moose tag about 4-5 years ago.

You definitely want the IE trespass permit.

I hunted about 3 hours, saw 6-7 moose before shooting one. Only hard part was drawing the tag and not shooting one down in a gully.

It just so happens that I'll be hunting elk in that area Oct. 3-9.

I'll PM you my cel phone. I think I still know a good way in there, but I don't recall the road names. We'd be close enough to show you the entry point we used at some point.

Bring your pack frames and a healthy dose of willingness to pack meat!

I didn't go out til Mid-November. There was about a foot of snow, which made moose stick out like......... a moose in snow. You might have a tougher time spotting them this time of year. If so, a little snow will make it easy.

Dan
Posted by: Dogfish

Re: mt spokane youth moose hunt help - 10/01/09 12:05 AM

Great tag! Hope he gets one down.

Dan is a great guy to know, he'll help you out.
Posted by: snit

Re: mt spokane youth moose hunt help - 10/01/09 10:25 AM

My moose tag was for the Selkirk Unit, so I can't specifically help with your unit, but the moose bio out of Region 1 was extremely helpfull. I was hunting bulls, but the positive thing is that you'll be hunting during the rut. The bulls were calling the cows, and the cows were searching for the bulls. Take your camera, as you'll apt to be REAL close to some bulls!
Posted by: carpsniperg2

Re: mt spokane youth moose hunt help - 10/01/09 12:09 PM

thanks guys for the info does anyone else know anything?
Posted by: FishRanger

Re: mt spokane youth moose hunt help - 10/01/09 01:11 PM

I know moose are big and tasty .. .. and if you live in Spokane you have a chance to shoot one out your living room window if it was like the last couple of years with them in town.
Good luck with the hunt, should be a memorable one for the kid. .
Posted by: Todd

Re: mt spokane youth moose hunt help - 10/01/09 09:26 PM

There are a lot of moose up in that area, and since there are so few tags given out, the area biologist is a wealth of information...they like seeing the tags filled. Call the Region 1 office, and good luck!

Fish on...

Todd
Posted by: seastrike

Re: mt spokane youth moose hunt help - 10/01/09 09:58 PM

The 12 year old will be ruined for life. That said I hope he connects and feeds all involved (both with moose meat and raw enthusiasm).

Not to hijack but Hey Andy how did your hunt/recon go today? Hopefully you are still out there hauling meat! I shared some of your bear from last year on the boat last week and it went over well.