Montana Sage Hen hunt shot by a pro

Posted by: Dave Vedder

Montana Sage Hen hunt shot by a pro - 10/09/14 09:12 AM

Earlier I posted some amature photos from my recent Montana trip. I was fortunate enough to be accompanied by my friend Kieth Szafranski who, as you can see, is a great photographer. Here is Kieth’s work.

We did a bit of fishing too. Surprisingly we caught brrok trout up to 13 inches long from this tiny crik.

The next day we hit private pond for some world class fishing

Posted by: DrifterWA

Re: Montana Sage Hen hunt shot by a pro - 10/09/14 09:24 AM

Awesome sequence of pictures of the "sage hen". The small stream fishing can be so very rewarding.

Again a great job.....thanks for sharing....
Posted by: CedarR

Re: Montana Sage Hen hunt shot by a pro - 10/09/14 10:58 AM

Like the way your photographer friend captures landscape. He's lucky Dick Cheney wasn't the gunner in shots 4 & 5. Are you encountering any ticks and snakes on your hunt in the brushy areas? Had a chance to fish a similar small stream near Big Timber with a local once. Never forget taking mid-teen fish out of a creek you could easily jump across. Thanks for sharing the "Big Sky" trip.
Posted by: NOFISH

Re: Montana Sage Hen hunt shot by a pro - 10/09/14 11:21 AM

Outstanding work Dave, thanks so much for sharing! Glad to see you and Tye back in the birds.....one more week until E.WA opener and then on to South Dakota.
Posted by: STRIKE ZONE

Re: Montana Sage Hen hunt shot by a pro - 10/09/14 11:42 AM

Noice.Good luck,

SZ
Posted by: BroodBuster

Re: Montana Sage Hen hunt shot by a pro - 10/09/14 01:07 PM

Too Cool!
Posted by: Todd

Re: Montana Sage Hen hunt shot by a pro - 10/09/14 01:45 PM

It's too bad that you aren't enjoying your retirement very much, Dave wink

Fish on...

Todd
Posted by: Achewter

Re: Montana Sage Hen hunt shot by a pro - 10/09/14 04:17 PM

well done AGAIN
Posted by: JTD

Re: Montana Sage Hen hunt shot by a pro - 10/09/14 06:06 PM

I can tell from the title of the thread...

That Sage Grouse didn't stand a chance.

moose
Posted by: Dave Vedder

Re: Montana Sage Hen hunt shot by a pro - 10/09/14 06:33 PM

Originally Posted By: CedarR
Like the way your photographer friend captures landscape. He's lucky Dick Cheney wasn't the gunner in shots 4 & 5. Are you encountering any ticks and snakes on your hunt in the brushy areas? Had a chance to fish a similar small stream near Big Timber with a local once. Never forget taking mid-teen fish out of a creek you could easily jump across. Thanks for sharing the "Big Sky" trip.

You are right. I didn't get to shoot due to photog interference a couple of time, but it was worth if for the great "shots" he took. One of those times I waited till it was safe and confidently pulled the trigger only to hear a click. I had gotten so excited over my first sage hen I forgot to reload. Doh!

Re: Montana Sage Hen hunt shot by a pro - 10/09/14 07:23 PM

I am neither a "pro" shooter or photographer but I shot this grouse in Nebraska a long time ago, or so it seems.

grin
Posted by: GEAR MONGER 2

Re: Montana Sage Hen hunt shot by a pro - 10/25/14 06:52 PM

Nice!!!! I really like those creeks there, and Idaho. Some really nice trout in some of them.
Posted by: Robbo

Re: Montana Sage Hen hunt shot by a pro - 10/26/14 09:36 AM

Killer photos Dave. You must've flushed a lot of sage hens to get those shots. Pretty cool!
Posted by: snit

Re: Montana Sage Hen hunt shot by a pro - 10/27/14 03:43 PM

JTD...Browning Superimposed Model?

Re: Montana Sage Hen hunt shot by a pro - 10/27/14 06:00 PM

Yes Sir.

It is one of a matching 12/20 Tonkin set left to me by my grandfather. He bought them new out of the custom shop in the mid 50s for $648- I still have the receipt. I only use them on nice days, treat them respectfully and think of looking up and walking beside him back in the days. I know he didn't believe in owning something you didn't use and every bird just means a little more to me because of it.

There is more to the story but it is one of the things he left me that I appreciate the most.

Posted by: snit

Re: Montana Sage Hen hunt shot by a pro - 10/28/14 11:16 AM

Very nice story JTD. I'm not familiar with "Tonkin" but having all the history from your grand-pappy is awesome!!! I've had several Belgium's, most of them Broadways. Classic O/U look and feel IMO. I still kick myself for turning down a 20ga Pigeon grade when I was 18yo for $1500...just couldn't swing it.