seattle gun tax

Posted by: larryb

seattle gun tax - 08/10/15 05:41 PM

I see it passed. 25 a gun .05 on ammo .02 on 22 ammo. that is each bullet. bet dealers home out.
Posted by: Anonymous

Re: seattle gun tax - 08/10/15 06:11 PM

another prime example of the further persecution on the inner city residents... clearly, the only people shooting in the city are gang members and they go thru a lot of rounds per drive-by...
Posted by: Us and Them

Re: seattle gun tax - 08/10/15 06:29 PM

I would support a bigger tax to clean up all the trash shooters leave in the woods. The problem is 95 cents of every dollar goes to fund the bureaucrats. Washington is the new Moscow Comrad!

Re: seattle gun tax - 08/10/15 10:11 PM

I would support a tax break to volunteer groups that take on the problems of trash in the woods and river banks...
Posted by: Dogfish

Re: seattle gun tax - 08/11/15 09:43 AM

If you want to reduce crimes and assaults where guns are used, then heavily target the criminal gangs that commit the vast majority of crime.

http://www.komonews.com/news/local/SPD-Four-kids-unhurt-when-gunmen-open-fire-on-car-321353441.html

Another misguided attempt to solve an issue, instead of taking the real issue head on.
Posted by: Todd

Re: seattle gun tax - 08/11/15 02:44 PM

The unfortunate truth is that, in spite of the rumblings, no Seattle gun vendors are going anywhere...that threat was so empty as to be laughable.

They will just pass on the extra cost (I think it's $20/gun, not $25?) of the gun/ammo tax to the consumer, who will in turn buy just as many guns and just as much ammo as ever before.

Whatever pile of money is generated will mostly go to pay for collecting it, as that is a common problem with small dollar taxes, and whatever is left over will be utterly wasted with zero benefit.

I'm sure the Seattle City Council feels really good about it, though. They should pat themselves on the back and go on a four day retreat to Rosario Resort on taxpayer dimes...maybe do a little whale watching while they're out there.

Fish on...

Todd

Re: seattle gun tax - 08/11/15 03:19 PM

It will drive sales away from Outdoor Emporium and Precise Shooter, as they are probably the two most prominent gun dealers in Seattle. Dealers operate on pretty thin margins, so I think it is fairly likely that they move out of Seattle proper.

It is $25 per firearm. Passing that onto the consumers directly would wipe out 61% of the net income before tax of one of the gun shops I bank. We sat down and did the math.

Unfortunately for the Seattle shops there are a number of shops across that city limit boundary not subject to this taxation.
Posted by: Todd

Re: seattle gun tax - 08/11/15 03:21 PM

The margins won't be affected by just passing the cost along to the consumer, who will pay it because that's what we do.

Fish on...

Todd

Re: seattle gun tax - 08/11/15 04:38 PM

Originally Posted By: Dogfish
If you want to reduce crimes and assaults where guns are used, then heavily target the criminal gangs that commit the vast majority of crime

according to the #blacklivesmatter movement you would be considered a racisist and part of the problem...

Re: seattle gun tax - 08/11/15 05:08 PM

All gang members aren't black. Shocker. We have a nice group of A-holes here in Aberdeen who like to dress in red. Mostly native American in appearance, but a few guys who could pass for Irishmen.

There have been 3 or 4 shootings (mostly misses) in the past 60 days within a few blocks of my office.

Re: seattle gun tax - 08/11/15 05:32 PM

My mistake for thinking this was about seattle... wink

Re: seattle gun tax - 08/11/15 05:42 PM

No worries. Plenty of non black gang members up the too. It's a shame they aren't serious about the issue.

Re: seattle gun tax - 08/11/15 06:33 PM

No worries. It's a shame they aren't serious about the issue.

Sad but true...
Posted by: FishRanger

Re: seattle gun tax - 08/11/15 11:38 PM

Precise Shooter gets what he deserves. . ..

The others .. . less gun sales, and I bet a whole helluva lot less ammo sales.

My biggest worry is that the jackwagons will try to push this across the whole state at some point.

For the children of course. . ..

Re: seattle gun tax - 08/12/15 08:09 AM

Originally Posted By: Todd
The margins won't be affected by just passing the cost along to the consumer, who will pay it because that's what we do.

Fish on...

Todd

But there are substitutes nearby Todd. Yes, some will still buy from the Seattle shops, but many gun buyers will drive another 10 miles outside of Seattle to buy.

War on the poor.
Posted by: Jerry Garcia

Re: seattle gun tax - 08/12/15 09:58 AM

I'm sure the Seattle shops have the addresses of all buyers and can tell which ones live outside city limits. Sometimes the reason to use Outdoor Emporium is that the buyer works downtown and it is convienient to stop buy and buy a box of shells. Now they won't. Maybe they would also get a little fishing or camping gear.
Posted by: BroodBuster

Re: seattle gun tax - 08/12/15 06:27 PM

This law trumps state law, just like the one banning guns from parks, and will never be implemented. Got a few votes though and wasted money so all good and right in Seattle politics.

Re: seattle gun tax - 08/13/15 12:13 AM

You mean state law pre-empts this law?
Posted by: Jerry Garcia

Re: seattle gun tax - 08/13/15 05:29 AM

The city council voted 8-0 to approve a bill that would impose taxes on sales of both guns ($25 per weapon) and ammunition (2 cents to 5 cents per round, depending on the caliber), with the money designated for research into gun violence and other anti-gun programs.

Apparently it has been determined that research into gun violence is an anti gun program. The conclusion has been reached and all reseach will confirm.
Posted by: BroodBuster

Re: seattle gun tax - 08/13/15 10:55 AM

Correct. From everything I have heard and read this would over rule state law which a city cannot do. Just like a state can't do to the Feds.

It's just a matter of getting it in front of a judge.

Re: seattle gun tax - 08/24/15 03:58 PM

Originally Posted By: BroodBuster

Correct. From everything I have heard and read this would over rule state law which a city cannot do. Just like a state can't do to the Feds.

It's just a matter of getting it in front of a judge.

Suit has been filed.

http://www.saf.org/?p=7320

Looks like they are going after them based on State Pre-emption. Parties involved are Precise Shooter, Outdoor Emporium, and a few others.
Posted by: WDFW X 1 = 0

Re: seattle gun tax - 08/25/15 08:20 AM

A complete waste of money.
Something Washington is good at.