First Turkey

Posted by: Carcassman

First Turkey - 04/30/23 07:54 PM

Finally got to go chase turkeys (the bird, not my bosses). Saturday had a tom come in but I didn't shoot as I did not know he was in range. Corrected that by using my rangefinder on Sunday. Got up at 5, dressed and in the blind by 5:30 and the bird was dead at 5:50. Nice jake. Used my Great Uncle's Remingiton Auto (Browning patent). Don't have the exact date of manufacture but from I can find it was pre-1915.
Posted by: Todd

Re: First Turkey - 05/11/23 02:52 PM

Nice job!

Re: First Turkey - 05/12/23 06:39 PM

It cooked up pretty good too. Already planning for next spring and looking for more gear like calls and a jake decoy.
Posted by: Todd

Re: First Turkey - 05/14/23 10:49 AM

Originally Posted By: Carcassman
It cooked up pretty good too. Already planning for next spring and looking for more gear like calls and a jake decoy.

As with any outdoor pursuit, the amount of gear that comes with an obsession is pretty impressive lol.

Don't ignore the fall season...it's four months long and you can shoot for more wink

Took SkyGuy to my turkey zone last week, he also shot his first one! Birds were actually pretty scarce, but I shot a double on the only two toms I saw all week, and Skyley's bird was the only one he saw, so at least we maximized our opportunities!

Fish on...

Todd

Re: First Turkey - 05/20/23 08:32 AM

I will be looking into the Fall. Down where I hunt deer I always saw turkeys and they weren't all that scared or me. I don't know if they could distinguish between my bow and if I was carrying a scattergun. Nice to learn though.