I used to live in the Great Lakes. Upstate NY and several places in Michigan. I’ve done this fishery numerous times. Lots of fun, particularly for those folks who aren’t used to fishing big water (not so much fun if you’re susceptible to seasickness, and the water is rough). The salmon are considerably leaner than those found in saltwater. The fish’s diet is mostly alewife and smelt. The meat is quite pale, sort of a dull pink, as you can see in the video.

The method of choice is trolling long, thin spoons, off a down-rigger. As I recall, they can use two lines per angler, so a party of three can have 6 lines out, which really increases the likelihood of a strike.

The max size is usually around 20lbs. They occasionally hit 30lbs, but that would be unusual. Almost all fish are hatchery raised, particularly in the Lower Great Lakes. The Upper Lakes have reasonably good spawning and rearing habitat, so if you’re fishing Lake Superior or Upper Lake Michigan, the chances of getting a wild fish are quite good.

There is a concern about toxics in the meat. But it's not a huge deal. Trim away the excess fat usually eliminates any toxics. That ensures than a lean fish is even leaner. But it doesn't stop them from enjoying salmon on the grill, like the rest of us.