Buy whatever suits you best. For the record, modern two strokes do not require you to mix oil, they are direct oil injected. Two stroke oil goes into a separate reservoir, and is injected into the motor with the fuel, no muss, no fuss. And just my opinion, you'd be hard pressed to smell a ton of difference between a modern two stroke and a 4 stroke. Finally, carbs are certainly old technology. They've been around so long because they work reliably. Filling up with quality fuel, using a good fuel filter, and running the boat regularly is all the carb cleaning I've had to do in the last 12 years. Letting fuel sit for months and years is the death of any fuel system, carbs and fuel injectors alike. I'd rather clean or replace a carburetor than fuel injectors...

Having to mix oil, smoke and smell, and carb cleaning aren't reasons to not buy a two stroke. The reasons I would likely go to a 4 stroke in the future would be noise level, the reduced pollution of a fuel injected 4 stroke versus a carbed 2 stroke, and improved fuel efficiency. But I think I will miss the jump out of the hole of my VMAX!