Originally Posted By: Rivrguy
Having operated diesel engines all my life as part of my work I can see that being missed but sloppy. Most back up gen sets utilize a check list that you do point by point, inspect, and mark completed. For you old military dogs, they did not know about the run away prevent baffle? Christ that says they knew absolutely zero about the system they were operating. Those who have not operated diesels it is a cut off that shuts off the air if the engine runs away. I was trained to even slam a large book or something over the intake to cut the air off and evidently this one activated off the cut off button. Frankly the inspection was not the bottom line but the lack of clear training as to operation and maintinance. Lord!

My thoughts too Rivrguy! This old Seabee Construction Electrician ran a few generators back in the day! Parlayed my experience to IBEW work and did work on high rise, hospital and computer room backup systems before retiring 18 years ago. Protocol calls for monthly checks and I only knew of one fail to start in those many years... Routine maintenance and proper TRAINING are imperative... Drop the ball? You bet! I read the whole PDF posted in NW Sportsman's magazine and saw the 3 unnamed individuals were disciplined but I would be curious to see what came down in the way of punishment! Oh please.............. Already took my BP meds for the day but I can feel another pill coming on...