All good, except the fact that WFC is involved. Can we really trust their endgame? Do they want commercial and recreational harvest of hatchery fish, including increasing hatchery production back to historic numbers; or are they interested in using this as means to an end? To end all hatchery production.

This is a much better solution to gill nets. We all know that. I’m concerned that doing things different at the terminal areas isn’t enough. As long as troll fisheries are raping over mixed stocks, it won’t matter. For some reason, Japan and other major fish buyers find a terminal area caught fish not as desirable as a ocean caught fish.

(I get it, sushi from river fish isn’t as good, nor is it a good idea).

I don’t trust WFC at all. We all know their solution would be to end all harvest and recreational salmon fishing, close all hatcheries and let salmon just spawn and repeat.

I was a hatchery terminal area yesterday. Thousands of fish moving through, everyone catching. Good times to be had. Some people came to look at the fish with their kids, the mom said “this would be so much more beautiful if everyone wasn’t catching all these beautiful natural creatures!” I had to explain to her that the creek flowing into this body of water was chosen specifically because it didn’t have much i natural occurring run. We were catching pinks. In an area that never had a historical occurring run of pink salmon. After an hour...I had to give up...no logic would make sense to the couple. They couldn’t grasp that the hatchery was built purely for harvesting fish. It’s pretty much a 100% kill all hatchery fish facility. No chance of strays (God forbid a hatchery fish spawn outside of a hatchery).

The WFC wants ZERO hatchery fish. Period.

Good idea, but could someone else, who supports hatcheries get behind this? Please?