There are quite a few national and state forests down that way which have decent hunting. Most hunters seem to belong to a 'hunting club' of some sort or have leases on private land. We looked into hunting the 'low country' of SC and it's all private, so you gotta pay to play. But like I said, it's pretty cheap compared to western hunting. $1000 gets you a handful of days with a chance at multiple deer and pigs. It's not uncommon to pop a handful of deer and pigs on the same day.

As far as WT - yes, they are very habituated to humans compared to BT's and Mulies. For one, there is a LOT more agriculture (food plots) across the Midwest and south (more fawns). Second, they are not as nocturnal, so they tend to be around when humans are around. A Combine is the single greatest hunting vehicle made. Lastly, cold weather & snow in the Midwest and northern states tends to yard em' up in large groups over said food (or cover). On multiple occasions, I've seen several hundred WT's in a single field. I once took (4) WT's in about 5 minutes. A small buck and (3) does. They just kept coming out after that food plot and could care less about their brethren laying dead right there. You won't find such reckless foolishness with BT's. You also will rarely find multiple BT's in a single spot. They are much less communal and way more solitary & wary.

I think also think mountain lions, wolves and bears play a huge part in our Western states. Deer in the west can't afford to yard up or be as social, less they become dinner. That's my $0.02 - IMO....