Steelheading was in its prime when Fishing Holes magazine, Sammy Special lures, and plunking at the Locks were in their hey-day. Since I caught my first steelhead on a genuine "Cherry Bobber", you can guess it wasn't my youthful age that kept me from appreciating the Sammy Special. Rather, it was the fact that so many other lures came out about the same time that were really effective. Okies and SpinNGlos are a couple of examples. I liked the Sammies well enough to buy a half dozen of them; just didn't like them enough to use them. Most of them are still in a tacklebox, somewhere. They were an odd-looking lure in that they came pre-tied with a double hook, and had a fairly large balsa body which didn't look "eggy" like an Okie Drifter, nor did it have the action of a SpinNGlo. It's hard to imagine anyone plunking this lure and having success with it. It will be interesting to see if others have used Sammies and done well with them-- might have to get 'em out of retirement. The lure I was having the most luck with during the mid/late sixties was the amber Okie, fished alone or with a wisp of chartreuse yarn. Lots of nostalgia in those old Fishing Holes magazines.