Two things, my $.02:
Thing 1: Concerning late fish. I'd have to say that the run timing seems normal here in SW WA and the couple rivers I have fished in NW OR. I agree with Sthdr1 that SW WA rivers might even be above the avg. of the last few winters or so, for hatchery fish. I have not landed or seen landed a single native fish yet this season. Chasin' fish early in the season, I fished Wshgl, Slmn Crk, EF & NF Lew, Kalama, Eloch, Grays and Nec and NF Neh. Finally settled in on EF, Eloch and Wshgl. Last couple seasons in Dec. I have landed at least 1 native out of one of the winter rivers I start lookin' for fish in. Odd.
This season I have noticed hit and miss (Hero one day, loser the next) since the first rains of 12/13/00. What I mean is I have fished a fav. river one day and every fish was mine. Fish everywhere - for me. Can't do anything wrong. Next day I try for a repeat and can't buy a fish. Same river, conditions, nearly same tides, nearly same competition, etc. Back to back days during the middle of the week. Has happened twice so far since 12/14/00. Too soon to form a conclusion. Other fish that act like this for me sometimes are hatchery silvers. Odd again.
Thing 2: Sea Lions/Seals. Greenpeace won't like me here..... but I have always said that whoever comes up with a good recipe for these things would be a hero and probably make a mint. Give the tribes the recipe and they'll go for the rights to harpoon/shoot the Sea Lions/Seals - for us. I read somewhere that these mammals pop. is up 800% from their 1972 pop. when they were ESA protected. Now ya see 'em everywhere. They could be to blame for the 2 "Hit & miss" fishing trips I described above.
A week ago, I saw 2 seals swim past me at Foster bridge hole on the Eloch. There were at least 2 going upriver from the high slack and I never saw them swim back down, though I'm sure they had to have later. This summer there was a pair hanging around the lower Wshgl. Fishing was still great but for a couple days everyone was talking about the seals in the slough/lwr rvr area.
A couple years ago in the spring there was one in the hole under Daybreak bridge on the EF Lewis. Yes, Daybreak bridge. It was early morning and we were launching the boat to go to La Center and this thing was crusin' around. Couple guys were on the bridge looking at the thing. We watched for a few minutes but decided to go on downriver and fish anyway. We get down to the next hole down (High Banks) and we heard 2 gun-shots. Later I heard that the seal went for a ride in the bed of a p-up....it got really car sick...
Anyway, yes, we probably need sea lions and seals too for something. Just gotta keep an eye on their pop.#s.
x