Originally Posted By: bobrr
Originally Posted By: fish4brains
I worked at the dam the year before it was transferred from the Corps of Engineers to the city of Aberdeen, this was 89 I think. I loaded fish at the fish trap and released them at coho campground, there were some big steelhead and big kings in the trap back then. I always wondered why we were letting them go in the lake. Used to be decent trout fishing in the lake, not sure if there is anymore.

Melanie and I catch some really nice trout in the lake, you have to work at it, esp. with a 14 inch minimum. I think the steelhead we catch in the lake are in great shape having time to recover, all of them have been chrome with great color to the meat. So it's not a waste of a resource, it provides great opportunity for those willing to put in the time and learn the fishery. I would rather have a steelhead that has fully recovered then one that has to retrace it's path to the dam without any recovery time. Last one did three jumps totally out of the water, 1st one tailwalking like a largemouth bass. Isn't the stock used for the Great Lakes steelhead fishery from the northwest? They obviously have no problem with catching steelhead in a lake. I have no problem with some fish being trucked for opportunity for river fishermen, but some need to go into the lake to continue opportunity for lake fishermen. Last fish out of the river I caught couldn't compare with every other fish we've caught in the lake, quality wise.

That is right, at least the spring/summer fish in the Great Lakes are of
Skamania origin.
Winters, I'm not sure about.