I no no one cares and that it doesn't matter in the long run but i am going to imput my opinion.

Fly fishing is fly fishing and gear fishing is gear fishing. They are different! This is not a value judgement just a simple fact. Fly fishing is not gear fishing and gear fishing is not fly fishing.

If a method of fishing is gear fishing it therefore cannot be fly fishing likewise if a method is fly fishing it cannot be gear fishing ( because the two things are different) An apple can never be an orange even if you texture the skin and paint it! It's still an apple.

1.Using a lure intended for gear fishng can never be fly fishing
2. Using a method of fishing identicle to a gear fishing method is gear fishing reguardless of the rod and reel used ( again because gear fishing and fly fishing are different

Therefore : using a slinkie and a glo bug with a fly rod is gear fishing because the method is identicle to drift fishing.

Also using a heavily weighted fly under a large indicator is also gear fishing because the method is identicle to fishing a jig and bobber which is a form of gear fishing..

Again this is unimportant and no one cares but that is reality... if you disagree then you must believe there is no difference between fly fishing and gear fishing