Originally Posted By: Tug 3
Can anyone tell me what the tangle net mesh size restrictions are for the spring fishery? Are revival boxes required? Is there a maximum soak time? I also wonder, as a suspicious old fishcop, if there will be separate days for Young's Bay and the big river. Without good enforcement, it would be easy for a Young's Bay gillnet to be dropped into the Columbia late at night on a night that the tangle net fishery was open. The size of the mesh in the tangle net is critical. Years back the WDFW idiot Bill Tweit allowed a five plus inch net (basically a Coho net to save the gillnetters money) and more than 20,000 wild steelhead were taken as by catch. And Mr. Tweit ,inspite of the fact that he apparently knows almost nothing about the real effects of gillnets is still in charge of much of the salmon management in the Columbia. Also, are there any observers slated for this season. WDFW goes out of their way to make sure "there aren't enough funds". for observers. I'll shut up. (For a while)

The last time a mainstem gillnet fishery on CR springs occurred was April 2016.

https://wdfw.wa.gov/sites/default/files/...2016_action.pdf

4.25" mesh... 45 minute soak... boat limit of FOUR springers.

What a JOKE!

"If you don't kill them, they will spawn." (Carcassman)

The Keen Eye MD
Long Live the Kings!