Originally Posted By: Carcassman
NOAA doesn't need to go to Congress, at least not at first. They have to clearly explain what is going on. Like with the SRKWs, what they are doing for "recovery" is ensuring they will starve but away from where people can easily see them.

The public should know what is going on. They are the ones that have to lobby Congress. If we had a Free Press that did investigations we might get the information out. But, folks would have to read or listen.

I will politely suggest that we are way past "NOAA doesn't need to go to Contress, at least not a first." This issue has been raised numerous times to include at least two NOAA-sponsored meetings I have attended. And then there is the NOAA debacle of Herschel and his sea lion relatives at the Ballard locks in 1985. I would offer to Barry Thoms (NOAA Regional Director) that Rome is still burning and the fire is spreading regionally.

NOAA is tasked with recovery of ESA listed species and needs to vigorously seek changes to the MMPA to allow them to accomplish what the Endangered Species Act (of Congress) directs. The MMPA should be subordinate to the ESA - not the other way around.

It's the person who has done nothing who is sure nothing can be done. (Ewing)