I've fished for bonefish in Mexico, Bahamas, and Belize. In Ascension Bay, Mexico and Belize the bonefish are small, not many over two pounds. I caught one at eight pounds in the Bahamas, with the smallest about three, equal to the largest I caught in Mexico. Most bonefish in Mexico and Belize don't even run into the backing, but they are still fun. A 6-weight rod is more than enough for the bonefish, but most anglers cast an 8 because of the wind.

I'd fish bones for a day and then focus on permit. Permit are challenging. First you have to hunt for them. Then when you find one or more, you have to get in position for an effective cast. Then you have to make that effective cast. Then after all goes perfectly, Mr. Permit will follow your fly, and it's about 50:50 whether he will eat it, or say, "Nah, I don't care for the cut of your jib, fvck off Yankee!" Oh, but if he eats, hang on! Permit occur around the north end, like Caye Caulker and such, but they are far more abundant near the south end around Palentia. But watch out for crocs on the lagoon side.