Been trying to rig a Topshot of 20 lb. mono to 30 lb. braid using a double uni knot. Problem is the mono part of the knot doesn't go thru rod guides smoothly -- yielding a "professional overrun" most casts.

Am planning on running a bobber and eggs setup from river bank for fall salmon.

Simplest solution would be to not use a Topshot and just run the mainline to a swivel & attach the leader to the other end of the swivel.

Would prefer to use the topshot method but need better way to to join it to the braid mainline.

Been stuck in San Diego fer 20 odd years -- finally made it home in 2018.

Did very little fishin in San Diego. Last year borrowed a beater vintage lami fiberglass w/a beater Shimano spinning reel and managed to hook 4 or 5 pinks, landing 2 ( the first one was as bigga rush as the 42 lber I landed in the Sole Duc 30 sum years ago!!). Also managed to hook a coupla Kings but practiced my patented "long distance release" on both.

Recently picked up a Shimano Clarus CSC86M2D rod and was planning on putting an old Bantam Black Manum 101 on it but even after cleaning and lube it was still unserviceable...picked up a Quantum Accurist baitcaster on OfferUp for cheap and went to the Kalama and the Nisqually a coupla times to practice casting n "knock summa da rust off.

Started out getting backlashes every 2 outta three casts but after a few hours very few if any backlashes and casting distance was good.

Tied on a float and went fishin and back to backlashing every 2 outta 3 casts. Went home and cleaned the egg juice, sand, and old grease out of it n lubed the reel, removed a wind knot, hooked line to immovable object and reeled maself in...still not getting much distance and backlashing. Only thing I kin think of is that the aforementioned knot is the cause.

Any help or advice would be wonderful and greatly appreciated.

Thanx fer takin the time to read and, hopefully, reply

Take care, stay safe n tight lines
Roger
P.s. While the quantum is ok I'm planning on getting sumthin a lil more suitable in a left-hander. Lookin to spend up to bout $200 max. Would appreciate any advice. I mainly fish rivers fer salmon & steelhead using jigs, bait, floats and spinners/spoons.

Edited by homesick in san diego (07/29/20 02:07 PM)
Edit Reason: Too many fat fingerings