Originally Posted By: Rivrguy
Quote:
I mean, it's kind of like the thing with the timber companies closing all the logging roads to public access. I understand their point of view, but man, does the outcome of the few who misbehave misplace the burden on the many! At least WDFW has SOME authority to punish offenders....

Snagging or whatever behavior comes with people just as a commercial using the recovery box for a trash bin. The question should be how does this effect escapement? How many fish are we talking about removed from escapement? 1, 10, 100, 1000 just what is the number of fish removed from the spawning population? In the big picture of harvest/dead fish it is my thought that it is small. It is about perception within the department becoming reality and the optics of bank angling mixed in.

Exactly my point. Snagging is bad, but is it really a significant factor in the overall decline of salmon runs? If not, it's not a legitimate justification for closing sport fisheries.

To be clear, I have no idea what the reasoning was behind keeping the Clearwater and Salmon closed, and I'm not making any claims or looking to promote any conspiracies. I'm just curious to know what's really going on, because flow and numbers of spawning fish were not mentioned as reasons; only the mysterious "recent fisheries activities."