I agree another example where WDFW (and their co-managers) considering the non-salmon species (ie. game fish) a lower priority.

If folks really are concerned about this issue rather than a satisfy rant on sites like here or talk of defunding WDFW I would suggest a more proactive approach.

Currently salmon is driven largely by WDFW Commission's NOF policy C-3608 which is focus on salmon management.

Part of that policy says "[b]When managing sport fisheries meaningful recreational fishing opportunities will be distributed equitably across fishing areas and reflect the diverse interests of fishers...[/b]"

I would suggest something like the idea of "[b]reserve a portion of salmon harvest and/or ESA impacts to support incidental impacts for allowing for game fish fisheries" be included in that portion of the policy. [/b] C-3608 is sit to expire Dec. 31, 2023 so the time to act is now. If not the current policy is likely to be renewed for another 4 year period.

Unfortunately, the game fish recreational community seem have virtually no interest in changing the management paradigm to support their interests. The result is that we will see these types annually as various fisheries are lost.

Curt

Edited by Smalma (05/28/23 06:59 AM)