I convinced my wife to go work in the evening as she has flexible hours so that we could take the kids (three and a half and one) to Bonneville dam to see the salmon passing in front of the viewing windows. Or at least that is the excuse that I used, and since it worked I'll stick to it.

First off, very little wind and the water was like glass. Those of you who frequent the area know how rare this is, and it was most welcome. The salmon were coming through in great numbers, with at least 50 coming through during the twenty or so minutes I was watching. Pretty much a 50/50 split on the hatchery-native count, with the vast majority in the 10-13 pound range. No shad, one sucker, and a few google-eyed tourists.

Hardly any water going through the gates. Another harbinger telling us that we've got a rough summer ahead.

Went down to where the guy slingshots for sturgeon and he had one on. He battled it for about a half hour before what appeared to be a six footer came up. A friend scaled down the rocks and let `er go.

Nice family outing overall, and a nice feeling inside seeing first-hand that the salmon run is doing well.