What is your first Salmon or Steelhead story.

Mine was when I was 5 fishing Gobar creek on the upper Kalama in 72. My great
grandfather used to be the forest ranger up there and they lived in the small house
there at the mouth of the Gobar. I was fishing the hole right behind the house for trout
which I started fishing for as soon as I could walk. While casting a small spoon I
hooked what to me at the time was the biggest fish ever. After much yelling for my
Dad to come help he realized I had more than just a trout and came down from the shop and helped me land the blackest steelhead I have still caught to this day. Was about 10 lb. and to
me the greatest thing in the world. After some explaining from Dad about the quality
of this fish we turned it loose.(so I started my catch and release career early)That was
29 years ago. The first of many steelhead out of the Gobar for me since I fished it
another 20 years. Love that creek fishing isn't what it used to be and the house on the
lower Gobar is gone, but I still spend a lot of time on the upper kalama at my
grandfathers place up in the fly only section. Love that area Fishe every chance I can, and as a firefighter I get a fair amount of cahnces smile smile smile smile

[ 05-11-2001: Message edited by: Firedog ]

[ 05-14-2001: Message edited by: Firedog ]