Gotta tell ya about this one. I drove up with Nick Amato to the fishing port and resort village of Tofino B.C. on the west side of Vancouver Island. We met BB member Bruce Gray and his brother Steve on Sunday evening. We were guests of top Tofino guide Matt Guiguet (pronounced geegae). He came in with 6 Kings that afternoon, so we were really pumped for 2 days of fishing. Matt fishes offshore in a 23' Grady White Gulfstream. As fishing luck often has it, Monday produced a day long windy wet weather front that apparently scattered the fish &/or put the bite off. We only hooked 2 Kings, landing one. We also caught lings and rock cod to help the day. Tuesday brought a beautiful windless sunny day. Instead of fishing near the inner islands as the previous day, we ran out about 7 miles offshore and fished 25 fathoms, give or take. After a slow start we finally found the birds, baitfish, and the feeding salmon. Matt limited us out with a load of beautiful Kings. This early in the season didn't bring any real big ones - the fish went from the teens to low 20's. The bonus is that we caught 3 nice halibut. I got lucky and got the big 'butt - 43 lbs. Come to think of it, I had the 2 biggest butts and only one was a fish laugh . Just a great day in such a beautiful uncrowded area! ...

I am posting this now from Matt and his wife Marilyn's gorgeous large lodge right on the famous Stamp River. In the morning it's going to be banana pancakes and Stamp fish - unless the banana 'cakes put the hex on it. You fishers owe it to yourself to enjoy the various fishing opportunitites that the Island has to offer! ...

Check out Matt's site - www.goldriversteelheading.com

Steve (RT)