Hi Guys, I have been watching the fish migration on the Columbia and Snake rivers this spring for a while now. If you havn't noticed the numbers this summer/spring have been incredible! Highest recorded numbers since 1938 or something!
However, in the last few days we have seen very high temperatures (106F in Lewiston!) and the migration especially in the Snake river has slowed dramatically. For example a few weeks ago we were over 600 fish at Lower Granite Dam and yesterday only 12 fish were counted. So the run has essentially stalled out on the Snake. Am I correct in assuming that this is mainly caused due to high water temps. in the reservoirs of course directly related to the dams?
I had a buddy tell me the other day that the fish are still moving up the rivers but they are just going through the dams at night. (I tried to call B**S** on him but I didn't have any data to back me up). He claimed that they do not monitor fish passage at night and really only monitor for an 8-hour day and extrapolate the rest of the passage counts. I always thought the fish counting was a 24 hour deal but I don't know for sure, does anyone here know for sure how the daily fish counts are tabulated?
Also, I have heard that in years like this when the runs stall out it is possible to lose thousands upon thousands of fish in the lower snake and columbia. The fish move up to certain reservoirs and then don't turn up at the next dam. Is this true, and is our great run in jepardy of becomming mediocre if it doesn't cool off soon?
Well, I appreciate any info you folks might have on this subject.

I sure hope it cools off soon!

Duke